Which Windows 8 Developer Preview images and Visual Studio tools support Windows Metro style development and which support desktop development?
Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:16 PM
Please use the following information to determine which Windows Developer Preview and Visual Studio downloads are best suited for your needs.
Developing Windows Metro style Applications
At BUILD the only platform for developing Windows Metro style applications is the Windows Developer Preview with developer tools English, 64-bit (x64) The limitation of 64bit only for Metro style development tools is only for BUILD. 32 bit versions of Visual Studio will support Metro style development in future pre-releases.
- this includes Visual Studio Express for Windows and Blend Developer Previews as well as installing the Windows SDKs
- starting Friday, you will have access to Visual Studio 11 Developer Preview, install this on Windows Developer Preview with developer tools English, 64-bit (x64)
- building Metro style applications is not supported on any other image
- Note: Visual Studio 11 Express for Windows Developer Preview will not be available for download seperately
Developing Desktop Applications for Windows
Desktop Application development requires the full version of Visual Studio 11 Developer Preview, these can be installed on any Windows Developer Preview image. To acquire Visual Studio 11 Developer Preview:
- Download Visual Studio 11, Team Foundation Server 11, and other tools here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/hh127353
- These will run on Windows 7 (32-bit X86 and 64-bit X64) and on the Windows Developer Preview (32-bit X86 and 64-bit X64)
Details on downloading Windows Developer Preview images here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/apps/br229516/
- Edited by Kraig S Rury Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:44 PM
- Edited by Kraig S Rury Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:03 PM
- Edited by Dan RuderMicrosoft Employee, Moderator Thursday, September 15, 2011 11:07 PM adjust formatting
- Edited by Dan RuderMicrosoft Employee, Moderator Friday, September 16, 2011 8:10 PM
- Edited by Kraig S Rury Friday, September 16, 2011 8:22 PM
- Edited by DavidLambMicrosoft Employee, Moderator Wednesday, February 29, 2012 6:32 PM Changed title to reflect it is DP specific.
Friday, September 16, 2011 8:25 PMModerator
Great post. Thanks.
Monday, October 17, 2011 3:53 PMwhen can we expect future pre release that will support metro app dev on 32-bit?
Tuesday, October 18, 2011 12:21 AMModerator
None have been announced at this point, but we have captured this feedback from you and others that hosting development on 32-bit systems is still important.
Tuesday, December 20, 2011 5:34 PMHave any been announced yet? Two months have passed and it's two more months until the Store release. Developing on at x86 tablets will make testing and deployment on those devices much easier. For my purposes, a robust remote debugging implementation will be a useful alternative.
Thursday, December 22, 2011 2:20 AMModerator
There have been no new announcements on this. We will update this post when the information changes.
Visual Studio 11 supports remote deployment and debugging of Metro style apps onto x86 tablets. See Running Metro style apps on a remote machine. If you have any questions or problems on this please start up a new thread specifically on your problem.
Wednesday, February 29, 2012 6:19 PM
Now when Windows 8 Consumer preview is available, does it supports development of metro style apps on 32 bit OS ?
Thanks in advance
Wednesday, February 29, 2012 6:32 PMModeratorLocking this thread as it is Developer Preview specific.