Friday, April 13, 2012 1:07 PMI started using SSDT today actually to see how this tool works but VS2010 has crashed multiple times already rigth after Using the schema compare tool and updating one of my test DB from a Prod DB. I knew we have done some small changes to the Prod schema that we did not do first in the test environment and I wanted to see if the tool was able to pick those changes up. It actually worked very well but all of the sudden after I would say 2 minutes of inactivity, VS 2010 just crashed with no warning (this sounds like a GC issue actually). After I reloaded the project, I noticed that the 2 servers that I had created previously in the SQL Server Object Explorer were gone and only the localdb is there. My 2 offline projects that I created are still there. Please let me know if this issue has already being reported and if there is a hot fix for it or something like that. The tool is really good and I am looking forward to use it extensively once these initial issues are all addressed.
Monday, April 23, 2012 8:34 PMOwner
We'll need a bit more information to investigate this -- can you reproduce the crash with event logging enabled? Below are the steps to gather the log, then you can send it to me at janety at microsoft dot com
1. Open a new command prompt as Administrator.
2. Run the following command
logman create trace -n JuneauDebug -p
"Microsoft-SQLServerDataTools" 0x800 -o
3. Reproduce the crash in SSDT.
4. Go back to the command prompt and run the following command
logman stop JuneauDebug -ets
5. The resulting ETL file will be located at %LOCALAPPDATA\SSDTDebug.etl and can be navigated to using Windows Explorer.
6. Please attach this file to an email and send it to janety at microsoft dot com
Tuesday, May 01, 2012 4:27 AM
Thanks for sending us the trace log so promptly. Unfortunately, I haven't found anything suggestive relating to the crash issue and have been unable to reproduce the same behavior so far.
Would you be able to share some more information about the project so that we can try to reproduce the issue on a test system here? Initially I'd like to know the sequence of operations that you performed and whether the schema compare document was closed after the source project/solution was closed.
If it is at all possible for you to share the project causing the problem with me directly, that would be extremely helpful.
Please follow up here, or to me directly - tgedge at microsoft dot com
Thursday, May 24, 2012 5:45 PM
I've looked at this issue some more with the additional details you provided by email and am still unable to reproduce the problem here. I understand that you have a work around (save and restart VS), however I'd be happy to investigate further. Please follow up here, or to me directly (tgedge at microsoft dot com) if you need further assistance.