Thursday, June 02, 2005 11:04 AM
Attempting to create a Linked Server to a Sybase 11 db. Did the following
- Used DSEDIT to create a data source. Ping(Test) works
- Created a System DSN using the Sybase System 11 driver
- Created a Linked Server with following options
- Provider as - MS OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers
- Data source as the DSN name created above
- No provider string
- Put in the Catalog name
- No local login
- Selected "be made using this security context"
- Specified remote login and password as the Sybase "sa" and pwd
Server Options Tab
- Checked only Collation compatible and Data Access checkboxes
On trying to see the list of tables, got the following error
Error 7399: OLE DB Provider 'MSDASQL' reported an error.
The provider reported an unexpected catastrophic failure.
SqlDumpExceptionHandler: Process 52 generated fatal exception c0000005
EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION.SQL Server is termintating this process.
OLE DB error trace[OLE/DB Provider 'MSDASQL' IDBInitialize::Initialize returned 0x8000ffff: The provider
reported an unexpected catastrophic failure.].
Any solution to this?
Friday, June 10, 2005 5:47 AMHI Mat,
Any response to you query? Even I am facing the same problem. Can you help me out if you have a solution?..
Pls respond to firstname.lastname@example.org id..
thanks in advance.
- Proposed As Answer by Nivas_68 Monday, October 26, 2009 12:10 PM
Tuesday, June 28, 2005 7:50 AMWe looked into this at is seems like an issue in the sybase provider itself. I'm trying to get a contact there...you folks should try contacting them as well.
Monday, July 04, 2005 8:42 AMWe have got a solution for this from some sources.
Syabase has a known issue on this.
Here are the steps to resolve the problem.
1. In OBDC, while creating the DSN (with the Sybase server name as DSN name) the database name should not be given.
2. In the Linked server properties only the Data source should be given. Remote login (sa and pwd) and in server options only Collation compatible and Data Access are to be selected.
3. The default database for sybase 'sa' login was taken as the user database for which the tables are to be linked.
The above solution works perfectly without issues.
Hope it is helpful to all.