Wednesday, April 11, 2012 1:17 PM
I am getting following error in reporting services log when trying to save the new report in report builder tool (1.0 or 3.0).
library!ReportServer_0-3!18d4!04/11/2012-07:15:06:: e ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.SharePointException: , Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.SharePointException: Report Server has encountered a SharePoint error. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.SharePoint.Utilities.CatalogItemUtilities.GetListItemUserLoginName(RSSPListItem item, String fieldName)
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.SharePoint.Utilities.CatalogItemUtilities.CreateCatalogItem(RSSPFile file)
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.SharePoint.Server.SharePointDBInterface.InternalFindObjects(ExternalItemPath wssUrl, CatalogItemList& children)
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.SharePoint.Server.SharePointDBInterface.FindObjectsNonRecursive(ExternalItemPath wssUrl, CatalogItemList& childList, Security secMgr, IPathTranslator pathTranslator, Boolean appendMyReports)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---;
Here is the screen with actual error message;
WSS 3.0 w/SP2 (12.0.6525)
SQL Server 2008 R2
Reporting Services Add-in for SharePoint (v10.2.4000)
Thanks Mahesh Dhinge
Friday, April 13, 2012 12:43 PMModerator
From your description, could you elaborate the issue by showing us the design steps of the report? Is the data source a shared data source deployed to the SharePoint site or an embedded data source? Does the report run properly in Report Builder? Can a report created in SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio be deployed to the SharePoint library properly?
According to the Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 (WSS 3.0) version information you have posted, I notice that there are newer versions available and suggest that you update the WSS 3.0 in your test environment. You can download the updates from the link below:
Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 All versions
Additionally, if the report uses the shared Data Source which is not deployed by the current user, I recommend that you try to create a new Data Source Library and a new data source.
If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.
Monday, April 23, 2012 10:35 AM
Thanks for providing the feedback.
We have the following design:
1. Windows Server 2008 x64 Standard w/SP1
2. SQL Server 2008 R2 x64 Standard (full installation except Books)
3. Reporting Services configured in SharePoint Integration Mode
4. WSS 3.0 w/SP2 (single farm, database and front-end both in same server)
5. Reporting Services add-in for WSS 3.0
6. Document library added with Report Builder Model, and Report Data Source content types
7. Document library has 2 folder, one for report model and other for data sources
9. Shared Data Sources used
10. We use Report Builder 1.0 and 3.0. In both the report builder tool, report runs fine but when tried to save it throws the error (as specified earlier) with Report Builder 1.0 only whereas it saves properly in Report Builder 3.0
11. Report created in BIDS is properly deployed to SharePoint library.
The above issue occurs only for the report which we create using the report builder tool 1.0 and tries to save it directly to the SharePoint library. The user has appropriate access to the library to save the file.
As you mentioned, in test environment I need to try with latest updates for WSS 3.0 probably SP3. But I am not sure whether the issue is related to same because I remember it was working earlier (some time back).
Do you see any other reason why it is throughing error only for RB 1.0 and not for RB3.0?
Thanks Mahesh Dhinge