Thursday, May 03, 2012 6:45 PM
Until recently, my regular Windows user account has had full access to our SQL Server (2008 R2) and Reporting Services. I have created numerous Report Folders and deployed hundreds of reports to these folders and subfolders over the past few years.
Because of a change in corporate policy, my regular account no longer has full admin access to any of our servers. However, I was given a new Windows admin account with local admin rights on that server so that I can still totally manage it. I can also manage it using an existing "service account" with full admin rights. After getting my new admin account, the first thing I did was to go into Report Manager "Site Settings" and add my regular and admin accounts as "System Administrator". Security for the "Home" folder also includes my admin and regular accounts with ALL roles selected.
Before losing admin rights to my regular account, I was able to "manage" any SQL report and make any and all changes to the security for any folder and/or report. However, now i can still perform these functions for at least 80% of the folders and reports but am totally denied access to the other 20% using "any" of my accounts. I "can" browse any of these folders and reports but cannot make any changes or deploy any new or modified reports.
I am at a total loss trying to figure out what happened and how I can regain access to these folders and reports. Earlier today, I did notice one thing about the folders and reports I cannot access: At one time, each of them had a special SQL server "group" created for them to allow those group members to "view" (browser role) those reports. It does not make any sense to me that these existing groups would cause this problem but this is what seems to be occurring.
I have spent "days" trying to resolve this issue. Any help would be greatly appreicated. Somehow I have to regain complete access to these folders and report. There is no one here that can help me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Denis W. Repke
- Edited by DWRepke Thursday, May 03, 2012 6:45 PM
Friday, May 04, 2012 4:34 AM
now i can still perform these functions for at least 80% of the folders and reports but am totally denied access to the other 20% using "any" of my accounts. I "can" browse any of these folders and reports but cannot make any changes or deploy any new or modified reports
Then may the permission inheritance for that folders is broken, you may check this first. See also http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms156014(v=sql.110).aspx