Thursday, October 21, 2010 5:01 PM
I am interested in MDS, but have a couple questions. We currently use a product named "Heiler", which is a MDM solution for product related data. We have had many issues with the tool and the performance of the tool is quite slow. With that respect, we have 100k products and over 500k individual skus. Many SKUs (Black Book, Red Book, Blue Book) to one product (Book). The "Heiler" product has two components, managing the master product data, and also managing all images associated with each product or sku. We are a large eCommerce business.
First and foremost, I am looking for documentation for Master Data Services:
1. How to integrate web services and process data within MDS?
2. We have a central EAI tool which moves data around the organization, and we need would like to use the same EAI tool for processing our data between disparate systems. Our primary form of data is based on XML.
3. If I wanted to map images to products/skus, and is there a possibility to use a FileStream data type as an attribute so that images correspond with Product/Skus in MDS?
MDS is new to SQL Server 2008 R2, but I have no reference otherthan the tool itself. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Monday, October 25, 2010 10:00 AMModerator
1) you can easily integrate web services and process data , with .NET 4 and entity Framework, by example.
your web service can get data from MDS sub views or from custom views
you can also update your data with your web service (by example a WCF Data Service) :
if sub views do not contain "Domain based attributes", you can update data from your Web Service to MDS,
and if you need to update views with Domain based attributes, you can create custom sql views.
2) you can quite easily import / Export XML Data with SSIS packages, and adapt them with SSIS (with custom SQL scripts and XSLT, by example)
3) you can set an hyperlink to your images in MDS. I don't know if you can store Image files as binary in MDS (I don't think so, but there is an option "File Type" for MDS entities, that I didn't try.
you will find a lot of usefull information in this forum.
Note: Please vote/mark the post as answered if it answers your question/helps to solve your problem. _________________________________________________________ Regards, Xavier Averbouch, Consultant, Avanade France