Wednesday, August 17, 2011 9:14 PM
Hi. I'm poking around for high level info on crescent and am wondering...
1) is there currently a download available, and if so from where specifically? Is it ctp1, 2 or 3 or something else?
2) what are the roles of sharepoint, RS, excel 2010 and power pivot add in in using this product? do all have to be involved?
3) what are the prereqs on the server(s) being targeted for download?
4) when will the product be available? Will it come free with the next release of sql?
5) does it also allow multiple data sources and data source types like power pivot?
6) is muddling thru the download worth the experience? will we be able to author a mash up from our own data if we go thru the download? or will we just see a canned presentation?
Thursday, August 18, 2011 12:58 AM
Crescent is available as part of Denali CTP3. You can download here: https://www.microsoft.com/betaexperience/pd/SQLDCTP3CTA/enus/default.aspx
We recently released a 14 minute video on Project Crescent: Getting Started and Getting the Most from Project Crescent. It covers much of the functionality available in Denali CTP3.
A lot of your questions regarding system requirements etc. are answered from this wiki page: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/project-crescent-overview.aspx and its links. There is also a good walkthrough for setting things up here: http://denglishbi.wordpress.com/2011/07/22/configuring-sql-server-denali-reporting-services-sharepoint-2010-integration/
Crescent connects to PowerPivot BISM tabular models and models deployed to AS servers in Denali CTP3 . A BISM tabular model can have as many data sources/types you like to integrate and mash up.
Robert Bruckner http://blogs.msdn.com/robertbruckner
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
- Marked As Answer by db042188 Thursday, August 18, 2011 12:48 PM