Friday, February 26, 2010 6:40 AMHi,
I am very new to Silverlight and WPF. Actually we are planning to develop a web based application with Silverlight or WPF. Before that we need to clarify which is best? Actually our application is medical related. Can anybody note down the advantages and disadvantages when comparing both? Also I would like to view few sites developed with both.
Thanks and regards,
Tuesday, September 06, 2011 10:50 PM
I have made a list of pros and cons for both:
• WPF has minimal restrictions, and it requires no sandbox unless deployed via a
browser as an XBAP without full trust turned on
• WPF can use the full .NET Framework.
• Full .NET Framework to be installed on the client machine.
• WPF is limited to running on Windows only.
• No hardware acceleration and no 3D.
• small runtime (Silverlight plugin 6 MB instead of full .NET)
• Applications can be run on multiple platforms (Windows and Mac).
• Ria services for communication with the server (easy setup)
• Silverlight is a rich client, no constant postbacks to the server
WPF and Silverlight shared the following features:
• Both use XAML for defining user interfaces
• Both can be deployed via a browser as sandboxed applications.
Hope this will help u making our decision. I compared both technologies and found Silverlight more useful. For web development the Silverlight plugin provides enough functionality to make a powerful application.
- Edited by Robin Slot Tuesday, September 06, 2011 10:51 PM grammar