Tuesday, March 13, 2012 11:18 PM
I have a real problem with Silverlight 4 and the 'to-ports' attribute in a crossdomain.xml policy file on facebook.
Facebook in its wisdom has added the attribute to this crossdomain file on the server used to serve up its images. ie http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/crossdomain.xml. This causes a real problem for Silverlight. I thought it should at least just ignore the attribute but it doesn't. I spent some time testing, and its presence seems to mean that Silverlight then ignores the file completely. Surely this must be a bug since the crossdomain file clearly indicates that it allows any sort of access. Just not by Silverlight.
The reason I need it is that the facebook silverlight application I am working on needs to download the images and manipulate them. I have no problems with showing the images in an image control, but of course trying to get at the pixel data causes a security exception. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to get around this, other than going back to the server and massively increasing its load. And of course being Facebook, I have no control over the crossdomain file and I have about as much chance of getting them to modify the file as I have of refloating the Titanic.
I am using Silverlight 4 at the moment but I understand Silverlight 5 still has not addressed the problem.
Tuesday, May 08, 2012 4:55 PM
Did you find any solution till now?
I'm getting a 403 status when trying to access the clientaccesspolicy.xml file from http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/clientaccesspolicy.xml (I guess Silverlight first checks for this file, then for crossdomain.xml file).
Tuesday, May 08, 2012 8:12 PM
Not sure if you would consider it a solution but I did get around it. I include a small (tiny) flash program (1 pixel square, of background colour, since it needs to be visible to work) also embedded in the web page. I also have a small script in the page. To load the images I call the script which in turn calls the Flash program which then downloads the image from Facebook (works since the crossdomain is a flash file after all). Passing the stream back was a problem so the flash converts it to a base64 string which is passed back to Silverlight via the script where it is converted back to a stream.
Voila and it works. Just rather slow.
Wednesday, September 12, 2012 7:01 PM
I got that same workaround to mostly work. I submitted feedback regarding the issue. If you are having the issue, please click through and vote for it: