SQL Server 2008 Management Studio?

Question

• I see that the SQL Server 2008 Express with Tools, has SS 2008 Management Studio included. I already have SQL Server 2008 Express, is there a separate download, as of yet, for SS 2008 Management Studio?

Thanks!

Sunday, September 07, 2008 12:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• I'm in the same situation: already have SQL Server 2008 installed and I didn't find a separate download for Management Studio, so I donwloaded SQL Server 2008 Express with Tools, but I can't find a way to intall it from there.  When I try to add features to my existing installation there's no option to install Management Studio.

I also found the Management Studio installer on the extracted files from the main installer, but can't get it to run...

Any insights on this?

Thanks

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 2:17 AM
  • Hi Joaquin,

I also am trying to install, just the management studio, but got to the "InstallationType" window during the installation process and see the selections, but not one is management studio. Did you have any luck figuring it out?

Russ

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 12:12 AM
  • Hi all,

For Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express, there is a Microsoft web site which provides the download of the tool, please refer to the following LINKs.

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express

SQL Server Management Studio Express

Regards,

Xun

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 3:15 AM
  • Hi Xun,

Thanks for your help, but I think those links point to SLQ Server Management Studio 2005, which I already have installed, since I had SLQ Server 2005 installed and upgraded to 2008, and doesn't work with SQL 2008.

Any luck with you guys?
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 4:29 AM
  • Hi,

Well, I have not found the SQL Management Studio 2008 express yet, can you try to use SQL Management Studio  2005 to connect SQL Server 2005 express?

Sorry, this forum not concerns about SQL server issue, and the following forum is SQL server forum.

SQL Server

Regards,
    Xun

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 5:43 AM
  • SQL Mgmt Studio 2005 reports that it cannot connect to Sql Express 2008.

The links on microsoft.com that report to take you to Sql Mgmt Studio Express 2008 take you instead to the 2005 version, which won't connect you.

I read a bit of a posting that hinted that Mgmt Express 2008 is "still forthcoming", but didn't say when, and the original posting of information wasn't there, so I can't confirm this with anything direct from Microsoft.

Am I the only person frustrated with this circular logic?  Why would a Microsoft person recommend we use a tool that is known not to work in the environment we're describing?

Monday, September 22, 2008 6:43 PM
  • I haven't yet seen SSE and SMSE 2008 as separate downloads. What you'll probably want to do, although it'll take a bit of time, is go to http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=7522A683-4CB2-454E-B908-E805E9BD4E28&displaylang=en or http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=B5D1B8C3-FDA5-4508-B0D0-1311D670E336&displaylang=en and download one of the versions. They both contain the SMSE tool and the second one has more tools as well. When you download and run the exe file, I believe it will give you the option for loading additional components, one of which should be the SMSE tool.
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 2:36 AM