none
Visual Foxpro 9 Install Failed - Setup Runtime Files

Question

• When I try to install Visual Foxpro 9 on a Windows 7 machine, I get the following error message:

The following componets failed to install:

Setup Runtime Files

I have been searching google and a few other places for awhile now and have not had any luck. Any help is welcome, thanks!

Friday, June 25, 2010 6:19 PM

Answers

• Ok, so, I logged into the local system administrator for the computer, and did the install, and it was successful. So I have successfully installed VFP on my clients computer. Thanks for the help guys.

FIX: For any other users that may be getting this, BIG note. If you are using Windows 7 64-Bit, you must be on the original local system administrator account in order to install. If you put a user in the administrator group it will not let you install it, so you must be on the local admin account.

Thanks for the help guys!

• Marked as answer by SwitchView Friday, June 25, 2010 10:16 PM
    Friday, June 25, 2010 10:14 PM
  • Hi Serpico,

a) Download the necessary installer from
    http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/FoxPro
    (That ftp.prolib.de reference is dead, this is the new location)

b) Copy it on that machine

c) rightclick that file and choose "Run as administrator"
    That's all. 

It's a common misunderstanding that adding a user to the "Administrator group" would automatically enforce him to run in Admin mode. One of the main security concepts since Windows Vista is that even administrators are normally running in regular users privilege mode. Beeing an Admin only gives you the right to elevate into Admin-mode without entering Admin-credentials, but you stil have to actively switch into that mode. Windows will ask you for that permission via the UAC-dialogue automatically if it detects an action which alters anything sytemwide or securitywise.

wOOdy
    Microsoft Visual FoxPro Technology Advisor
    Microsoft "Most Valuable Professional" from 1996 to 2009
    Visit my XING profile! Don't know what XING is?

*´¨)
    ¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´. (¸.·` *
    .·`.Visual FoxPro: It's magic !
    (¸.·``··*

Sunday, October 17, 2010 9:40 AM
  • I also faced the same issue while installing VFP 9 in XP Mode under Win 7 x64 Ultimate. What I did is executed "bootstrap.msi" from the VFP 9 installation media and then tried again, it installed successfully.
    Anand Yadav IT Champs
    Friday, May 20, 2011 3:25 PM

All replies

• You may find and install them from:

http://fox.wikis.com/wc.dll?Wiki~VFP9RuntimeFiles~VFP

dni
    Friday, June 25, 2010 6:40 PM
  • What do I do with those? Do I download them all, is there a installer for them, or what? I could use some more information on exactly what to do with them, thanks.
    Friday, June 25, 2010 7:00 PM
  • If you read the link you I gave you, you will find  at ftp://ftp.prolib.de/public.....  runtime files ready to download with installer and depending on service pack you have .....

dni
    Friday, June 25, 2010 7:52 PM
  • I don't think the files at prolib are what you need. It sounds like it's a problem with the Windows Installer. Are you installing as administrator? You'll need to.

Tamar

Friday, June 25, 2010 8:17 PM
    Answerer
  • Yes, I am installing it as the system administrator. I'm going to try the fix above as soon as my client gets back from lunch, I'll let you guys know how that works.
    Friday, June 25, 2010 8:53 PM
  • Ok, so, I logged into the local system administrator for the computer, and did the install, and it was successful. So I have successfully installed VFP on my clients computer. Thanks for the help guys.

FIX: For any other users that may be getting this, BIG note. If you are using Windows 7 64-Bit, you must be on the original local system administrator account in order to install. If you put a user in the administrator group it will not let you install it, so you must be on the local admin account.

Thanks for the help guys!

• Marked as answer by SwitchView Friday, June 25, 2010 10:16 PM
    Friday, June 25, 2010 10:14 PM
  • Explain to me exactly what you did to install this?
    I also have windows 7 64 bit.
    thanks
    Friday, October 15, 2010 7:17 PM
  • Hi Serpico,

a) Download the necessary installer from
    http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/FoxPro
    (That ftp.prolib.de reference is dead, this is the new location)

b) Copy it on that machine

c) rightclick that file and choose "Run as administrator"
    That's all. 

It's a common misunderstanding that adding a user to the "Administrator group" would automatically enforce him to run in Admin mode. One of the main security concepts since Windows Vista is that even administrators are normally running in regular users privilege mode. Beeing an Admin only gives you the right to elevate into Admin-mode without entering Admin-credentials, but you stil have to actively switch into that mode. Windows will ask you for that permission via the UAC-dialogue automatically if it detects an action which alters anything sytemwide or securitywise.

wOOdy
    Microsoft Visual FoxPro Technology Advisor
    Microsoft "Most Valuable Professional" from 1996 to 2009
    Visit my XING profile! Don't know what XING is?

*´¨)
    ¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´. (¸.·` *
    .·`.Visual FoxPro: It's magic !
    (¸.·``··*

Sunday, October 17, 2010 9:40 AM
  • I also faced the same issue while installing VFP 9 in XP Mode under Win 7 x64 Ultimate. What I did is executed "bootstrap.msi" from the VFP 9 installation media and then tried again, it installed successfully.
    Anand Yadav IT Champs
    Friday, May 20, 2011 3:25 PM
  • I had the same problem as originally stated way at the top.

I have vista 32 with NO SP updates of any kind. (FYI i had torched my gateway back to factory new a few days prior to this vfp install problem)

I have Avast (the latest as of 9/13/2011) and ThreatFire from PC Tools.

Apparently Threatfire was not showing in the tray but i think it was somehow stopping the install of the prerequisits.

A reboot fixed the issue - threatfire popped a message telling me about what the install was trying to do and i clicked the allow radio button and the remember check box and poof it installed just fine.

HTH.

Herb

• Edited by Herb123987 Tuesday, September 13, 2011 9:08 PM forgot a minor point
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 9:07 PM
  • was i resolved the problem exactly with you say
    Tuesday, July 03, 2012 4:14 PM
    Anand Yadav IT Champs

Thanks Anand

I have used your solution to resolved the "Setup runtime file failed issue" and it was get installed sucessfully.

Thanks once again.

Saturday, October 06, 2012 6:39 AM