MySQL Connector

Question

• Hello,

I am wanting to connect to a MySQL database from with Visual Studio 2011. So i proceeded to install the MySQL Connector Version 6.5.4. The installation completed successfully, but when i open Visual Studio > Server explorer and open the 'New Data Connection' dialog the MySQL Database type isn't there.

Any ideas as to why this is?

Thanks.

Kirk

deDogs

Friday, May 25, 2012 3:34 AM

Answers

• Hello Kirk,

Based on your above description, I got to know that you would like to connect to the MySQL database in the Server Explorer. And as far as I know that in order to achieve that, we need to follow a couples of steps which is described below, and just install the MySQL Connector is not enough.

Based on this case, to connect MySQL database in the Server Explorer you need to follow the steps:
    1). Install the MySQL Connector Version 6.5.4.
    2). Go to Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Set up data sources->create a datasource to connect to the MySQL database.
    3). Open your project, and go to Server Explorer->Add Connections->select the provider: Microsoft OLE DB Provider For ODBC drivers.

For more detailed information, please refer to the link I provided above.

In addition, it is better if you can consult MySQL experts on the MySQL forum here: http://forums.mysql.com/ 

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, May 28, 2012 2:58 AM