none
Discussion Board

Question

• Hi,

I've a discussion Board, in which the content approval is set to on.

Every time a discussion is approved, while viewing the discussion it displays it as From: "System Account" who is the approve-r in my discussion board.

And also every time a comment is added to a discussion , it needs the approver's approval... which is not my requirement.

How do i achieve this?

Friday, December 27, 2013 12:28 PM

Answers

• I do not know if there is a solution to the challenge you are facing but I can think of one workaround which may work for you. I am not sure and hence wanted share.

Basically you turn off the content approval on the discussion board and instead use the approval workflow for approve/reject the discussion post. I understand that with approval workflow items will show up even if they are not approved. You can change the view to display only the approved items.

Here is the post on how to achieve this. You simply change the column name to your workflow column name.

http://amatterofdegree.typepad.com/a_matter_of_degree/2007/04/how_to_filter_a.html

This approach might solve your first issue about system account.

Amit

Friday, December 27, 2013 1:45 PM
  • Recreating the entire workflow within an Impersonation Step mght help with the system account.  This is something that within SharePoint allows you to run a workflow with the credentials of another user. 

Impersonation workflow within SharePoint Designer

As the approval workflow is a reusable workflow, you can add an Impersonation step to the sequence of events, move everything up into it and then delete the original step.  This should result in the system account being avoided and your own account being substituted in to it.

Steven Andrews
    SharePoint Business Analyst: LiveNation Entertainment
    Blog: baron72.wordpress.com
    Twitter: Follow @backpackerd00d
    My Wiki Articles: CodePlex Corner Series
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves (or helps) your problem.

Friday, December 27, 2013 2:53 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• I do not know if there is a solution to the challenge you are facing but I can think of one workaround which may work for you. I am not sure and hence wanted share.

Basically you turn off the content approval on the discussion board and instead use the approval workflow for approve/reject the discussion post. I understand that with approval workflow items will show up even if they are not approved. You can change the view to display only the approved items.

Here is the post on how to achieve this. You simply change the column name to your workflow column name.

http://amatterofdegree.typepad.com/a_matter_of_degree/2007/04/how_to_filter_a.html

This approach might solve your first issue about system account.

Amit

Friday, December 27, 2013 1:45 PM
  • Recreating the entire workflow within an Impersonation Step mght help with the system account.  This is something that within SharePoint allows you to run a workflow with the credentials of another user. 

Impersonation workflow within SharePoint Designer

As the approval workflow is a reusable workflow, you can add an Impersonation step to the sequence of events, move everything up into it and then delete the original step.  This should result in the system account being avoided and your own account being substituted in to it.

Steven Andrews
    SharePoint Business Analyst: LiveNation Entertainment
    Blog: baron72.wordpress.com
    Twitter: Follow @backpackerd00d
    My Wiki Articles: CodePlex Corner Series
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves (or helps) your problem.

Friday, December 27, 2013 2:53 PM
    Answerer