none
SharePoint Custom Workflows - Transfering Attachments From One List To Another?

Question

• We are trying to use a more in depth version of the Sales Lead Pipleline Template where we convert Leads to Opportuinities and then Once the Opportunity has been won it transfers the info into a Job List (Custom List) and a Work Order Assignment List (Custom Task List). We are storing the attachments related to each lead/opportuinity in the lists as well and want them to transfer with the workflow when the new list item is created after we hit the convert button. I am using SP Designer and have really modified the site and workflow but when i set the attachment settings in the workflow then return to the list and test the workflow to verify that the attachments are transfering with the rest of the data, i get an error occured on the workflow and none of the data is transfered.

Can anyone help me with this?
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, June 24, 2009 3:47 AM ?? removed. One question mark is ALWAYS enough. More is just attention grabbing. Don't do it.
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, June 24, 2009 3:48 AM wf q (From:SharePoint - Design and Customization)
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 9:09 PM

Answers

• Hi, I had the same problem so did the following:

Situation:

Item in List temp to create item in Master list with attachments.

Using copy list item didn't map all columns as not all names match in new list.

Workaround:

Created column in List temp to match name of column I wanted to map in Master list.
    Gave description: system use only.

In SPD:

Use Action 'Set field in current item' 

'new column in List Temp' to 'column with different name wanting mapped'

Use Action 'Copy list item'

from current item to master list.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 3:33 AM

All replies

• Are you trying to move an attachment on an item or move a document in a Document Library?  There's no 'move' per se; you'll need to create a new item and delete the old one.

M.
    Marc D Anderson - Sympraxis Consulting LLC - Marc D Anderson's Blog
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 10:13 PM
  • Moving to the Workflow forum. Use it (and only it) for all Workflow questions.
    WSS FAQ sites: http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com and http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com
    Total list of WSS 3.0 / MOSS 2007 Books (including foreign language) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/Lists/v3%20WSS%20FAQ/V%20Books.aspx
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 3:48 AM
  • Hi,

Form your description, I think you use “create list item” action in the SPD workflow to move the list item with attachment. If I am right, it is by design that “create list item” action fails if we set the attachment filed to the current item attachment. This is because attachment field are Boolean, they don't actually have items in them.

The workaround is to use “copy list item” action instead of “create list item” action and it will bring over your item and the attachment properly.

Let me know if I misunderstand you.

Xue-Mei Chang
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 3:49 AM
  • Xue-Mai:

"copy list item" works only when the source and target lists have the same structure.

What I need is the ability to populate a new item in, say, List B, from an item in List A where I can specify which columns in List A map to which columns in List B. This is what "create list item" provides. Except for one thing:

When I specify that the target column is Attachments, it throws an exception and causes the workflow to stop in its tracks. What it could do -- and should do -- IMHO -- is take the attachments column in stride and copy the attachments.

Anything would be better than watching the workflow go up in smoke.

Josh

Friday, October 29, 2010 7:21 PM
  • hi, Josh, did you tried update item field option to map list A item column to List B item column?
    Imposible is nothing
    Wednesday, November 03, 2010 2:52 PM
  • Hi Valeras,

I too have the problem of the original poster.  I've only done some very basic workflows.  Can you elaborate with specifics how one updates an item field in a target library from another source library and have the attachments copied?  I don't understand.

Thanks!

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 8:55 PM
  • Hi, I had the same problem so did the following:

Situation:

Item in List temp to create item in Master list with attachments.

Using copy list item didn't map all columns as not all names match in new list.

Workaround:

Created column in List temp to match name of column I wanted to map in Master list.
    Gave description: system use only.

In SPD:

Use Action 'Set field in current item' 

'new column in List Temp' to 'column with different name wanting mapped'

Use Action 'Copy list item'

from current item to master list.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 3:33 AM
  • You can use Document Library activities from HarePoint Workflow Extensions: http://www.harepoint.com/Products/HarePointWorkflowExtensions/ListActivities.aspx?bs=Document Library
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 3:33 PM
  • Hi Dan, found your post very helpful
    Friday, August 02, 2013 8:15 AM