TF10139 Error when checking in files: Check in policy error when policies have been satified

Question

• I am getting the TF10139 error when attempting to check in items in VS 2005-TFS.  Looking at Policy Warings I get the following:

Internal error in Builds - popup: Error loading the Builds policy (The policy assembly 'Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Build.Controls, Version=9.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=...' is not regeistered.). Installationinstructions:

and

Error loading the Changeset Comments Policy policy (The plicy assembly 'Microsoft.TeamFoundation.PowerTools.CheckinPolicies.ChangesetComments, Version=9.0.0.0... is not recognized). ...

I should add that we are not violating any of the policies that I am aware of (Require comment, Associate Work Item)

I have the TFS Powertools but come to think of it I am not certain the 2005 power tools were ever installed (I have both 2005 and 2008, this error was generated in 2005).  Any other thoughts on the source of this error?   To resolve this I assume I need to install power tools locally?  I am hoping to move our team and this app up to 2008, but we would still need to install PowerTools on every users machine, correct? 

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 1:27 PM

Answers

• Yes, you are correct.  Each developer would need to install the (correct version of) TFS Power Tools on their development PC in order to make use of the Check-In Policies.  If they do not have the TFS Power Tools installed, they will receive an exception at check-in time (much like the one you listed in your post).

Hope this helps.

Thursday, June 05, 2008 4:17 AM

All replies

• Yes, you are correct.  Each developer would need to install the (correct version of) TFS Power Tools on their development PC in order to make use of the Check-In Policies.  If they do not have the TFS Power Tools installed, they will receive an exception at check-in time (much like the one you listed in your post).

Hope this helps.

Thursday, June 05, 2008 4:17 AM
  •  

IS this the case even if we ae using a seperate build server that does not have VS2005 IDE installed on it ???
    Tuesday, August 05, 2008 9:59 AM
  • Some of my users are experiencing the same error.  They're using VS2005 connecting to TFS 2008 and have power tools installed but when they attempt to check in, they still get this error.  They also have Team Explorer 2008 installed with powertools, and again, they have VS2005 Team Edition installed with Powertools 2005 too.

What are possible next steps?
    Thursday, June 04, 2009 6:55 PM
  • Got... The problem is that the BUILD was setup as part of the check in policy.  Disabled that, and i'm good to go.
    Thursday, June 04, 2009 7:06 PM
  • Hi, Could you please let me know where I can disable this? I am having the same problem as you mentioned above

Thanks
    Monday, July 13, 2009 1:24 PM
  • Just to mention, in my case, the TFS Power tools were installed though I was getting the above error. I did following steps to resolve the problem.

1) Rt click your project in VS2010, go to Properties--> Code Analysis. Check you have selected appropriate Rule Set under "Run this rule set" drop down box. Click Open button to get the list of all selected rules. 

2) On this open page, click the down arrow button (image) to display all Rules. Check all rules that are uncheck.

3) Build your project. And Check in the files successfully.

Good luck.

Friday, May 04, 2012 3:15 PM