Dell Duo Accelerometer Not working

Question

• Anyone using a Dell Duo have this issue -

Windows 8 sees the ST Microelectronics Accelerometer/Magnetometer but a Windows comes up saying the sensor needs to be enabled in Control Panel in Location and Other Sensors. It appears that Control Panel folder no longer exists so I haven't been able to enable the accelerometer. Anyone figure out how to do it?

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:55 PM

Answers

• If you install the drivers under windows7 compatibility (properties, compatibility) the driver program will install and it add the location sensors to the control panel and an on/off toggle to the windows mobility center but, even when you toggle it on, it doesn't work.  I keep getting an error that sensor is off and needs to be turned on.

After you install the sensor drivers, the unknown USB device will go away.

USB driver also doesn't work;after preview install, it shows 'generic' driver with exclamation.

Other than Bluetooth and accelerometer sensor, everything is working well.

I bought this specifically to test win8 - not a bad little unit and nice to have quick access to keyboard for longer typing tasks.  a bit heavy for a tablet and, in hindsight, not the best idea that camera and light sensor are both hidden when in tablet mode (I could possibly understand the camera but the light sensor??).

Upgrading BIOS and installing programs/drivers from dell site after installing preview brought back operation of special function keys (audio control/wireless control, etc.

Any advice/solutions on Bluetooth and accelerometer would be appreciated.

So far, WIN8 is performing amazingly well - no errors at all.

Travelguy
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 9:35 PM
  • oclanman- unfortunately we do not have a good working driver for Windows 8 for the accelerometer/magnetometer for the Dell Duo at this time.

I'll post an update on the "Tailoring your Metro style app for hardware and devices" forum if we get an update from Dell/ST.

Thanks,
    Gavin

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:39 PM

All replies

• Same problem.  Fresh install or upgrade from 7 does the same.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:01 PM
  • The Desktop Control Panel still exists.  Go into the Control Panel on the Start Menu, scroll to the bottom and click on "More Settings".  That will take you to the Desktop Control Panel.

Additionally, I had a problem with my accelerometer on my Acer Iconia W500 and had to download a specific app from the vendor to get it working.  If you don't find what you need in the Control Panel, you may want to check with Dell for the app to reenable this.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:05 PM
  • I understand the Desktop Control Panel exist. Within it, in Windows 7, there was a Location and Other Sensors section. It does not exist in the Developer Preview so there is no way to turn on the sensor. The sensor installer program creates the Control Panel applet for changing some sensor settings but unless you can first enable the sensor they are worthless.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:16 PM
  • I'm also having this same issue. I followed these directions: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19372851.aspx to install the drivers/application since I have the x64 Windows 8, but still no joy. I get the same message mentioned by the OP. I also have two devices that aren't installing properly showing up as unknown. One says it's USB, any ideas on what these devices could be? Other than no accelerometer, Windows 8 is fantastic so far. Looking forward to doing some development on it.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:34 PM
  • The Desktop Control Panel still exists.  Go into the Control Panel on the Start Menu, scroll to the bottom and click on "More Settings".  That will take you to the Desktop Control Panel.

Additionally, I had a problem with my accelerometer on my Acer Iconia W500 and had to download a specific app from the vendor to get it working.  If you don't find what you need in the Control Panel, you may want to check with Dell for the app to reenable this.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator

hi , I have a iconia, do you have a link to the app ?

Thank you

Friday, September 16, 2011 1:53 PM
  • Only happens with Windows8 for me, windows 7 still works fine.
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 7:46 PM
  • If you install the drivers under windows7 compatibility (properties, compatibility) the driver program will install and it add the location sensors to the control panel and an on/off toggle to the windows mobility center but, even when you toggle it on, it doesn't work.  I keep getting an error that sensor is off and needs to be turned on.

After you install the sensor drivers, the unknown USB device will go away.

USB driver also doesn't work;after preview install, it shows 'generic' driver with exclamation.

Other than Bluetooth and accelerometer sensor, everything is working well.

I bought this specifically to test win8 - not a bad little unit and nice to have quick access to keyboard for longer typing tasks.  a bit heavy for a tablet and, in hindsight, not the best idea that camera and light sensor are both hidden when in tablet mode (I could possibly understand the camera but the light sensor??).

Upgrading BIOS and installing programs/drivers from dell site after installing preview brought back operation of special function keys (audio control/wireless control, etc.

Any advice/solutions on Bluetooth and accelerometer would be appreciated.

So far, WIN8 is performing amazingly well - no errors at all.

Travelguy
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 9:35 PM
  • @Travelguy -

I have the same setup as you.  Thanks for the information.

Just a couple of quick questions:

- Which version of Windows Developer Preview did you install on your Duo - 32- or 64-bit?

- You mentioned that you updated the BIOS - what version of the BIOS are you running on (after the update)?

- Can you be more specific about what program/driver you installed from the Dell site to bring back the special function keys?  I hate having to go to Settings and always having to fix the Brightness from 0.  There is probably a setting for that somewhere, but I would rather control the brightness using the function key.

Please post back if you find out anything about the accelerometer.  I am trying to figure out this same issue.  Do you think that the orientation flipping is intended to be a basic part of the OS for the accelerometers that Microsoft supports?  Or I wonder if they are going to be relying on OEMs to ship their devices with an orientation flipping utility that talks to the accelerometer...

Jeremy

Monday, September 19, 2011 12:58 PM
  • 32 bit. download the latest BIOS from Dell site (Inspiron1090_A06-Win32bios.exe and ran it to update the BIOS.

I also installed from the Dell downloads (entered my service tag to find the appropriate files):

Intel NM10 Video Driver

Dell_Duo_station_A03_R290083 (don't really think this was necessary as I'm not using their software for the touchscreen)

Quickset Application (this is what I believe enables the various special keyboard keys (vol up/down, etc) and also gives you extra controls on widows mobility center

Crystal HD Video Decoder

ST Magnometer - installed using win7 compatiblity; installs but get error it's not turned on everytime I boot up and even though i've enabled in windows mobility center it's not recognized by the software

I also reinstalled tiger pointer chipset (don't know if was necessary or not but didn't hurt anything)

installed compass display orientation (though accelerometer doesn't work)

Haven't yet found solution for accelerometer and have seen fixes for bluetooth but haven't yet done it as the only fix i saw causes BSOD if you have bluetooth on and try to wake up from sleep mode.

Travelguy
    Monday, September 19, 2011 5:26 PM
  • oclanman- unfortunately we do not have a good working driver for Windows 8 for the accelerometer/magnetometer for the Dell Duo at this time.

I'll post an update on the "Tailoring your Metro style app for hardware and devices" forum if we get an update from Dell/ST.

Thanks,
    Gavin

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:39 PM
  • Thanks Gavin. Hopefully one will be released by time the beta comes out. It would be nice to play around with all the new features of Windows.
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:51 PM
  • I posted a walk through of the install process in case anyone doesn't know the basics:

http://rd3d2.wordpress.com/2011/09/28/installing-the-windows-8-developer-preview-on-a-dell-inspiron-duo/

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:13 AM
  • I got my Outlet duo last night and upgraded Win 7 being I bought this specifically for Win 8. I got eveything installed and working but also get the accelerometer must be enabled error.

I haven't tested the BT yet, but it installed fine with the Atheros WLAN/BT driver. Although the WLAN after installation threw an error in Device Manager that it couldn't start but a reboot sorted that out.

Although to me the accelerometer isn't that big a deal, full functionality would be nice......

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 12:50 PM