none
SQL 2012 cluster installation fails with an IP address error

Question

• I am building an eight node cluster and have successfully installed two SQL instances on it. Now, I cannot install any additional instances because of the following error:

The resource with identifier 'Type='IP Address' NetworkName='Cluster Network 1' Group='SQL Server (WEBAPPS)' Resource='SQL IP Address 1 (ACHSQLWebapps)'' could not be found on the cluster. Please check if it exists.

I can verify that the installation builds the SQL Name and then adds the IP address. After the IP address comes online, the installation stops and that error pops up.  It results in a failed install that must be removed by the "Remove Node" wizard.

A search on the web comes up empty. Any ideas?

Monday, June 24, 2013 4:45 PM

Answers

• All,
    We ended up opening a ticket with Microsoft. After several hours of troubleshooting, an error in the registry was found that affected the binding of the NICs.  This error was not visible in the network properties, but had something to do with our teamed NICs.

Microsoft fixed the registry error and all is well.

• Marked as answer by Tracy Oakley Monday, July 01, 2013 8:42 PM
    Monday, July 01, 2013 8:42 PM

All replies

• Hello,

To add a node to an existing SQL Server failover cluster, We should run SQL Server Setup on the node that is to be added to the SQL Server failover cluster instance.Please verify the account that you using has permission to log in as a service on all nodes of the failover cluster.For local installations, you must run Setup as an administrator.

Reference:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191545(v=sql.110).aspx

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

If you have any feedback on our support, please click  here.

Fanny Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 2:53 AM
  • Actually, I'm trying to do the initial instance install.  I've not had any problems adding nodes once the instance has been installed.

The problem is that the initial install stopped working after the first two instances have been installed.  I get the above error no matter which node I try to do the install on.  It's strange in that I get that error, even though the IP address has in fact been added to the cluster and is online.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 11:59 AM
  • If it's any help, the installation reports that it is running SetIPAddressResourceDependencyToNotStretch at the time that the error pops up.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 1:57 PM
  • Check to make sure your subnet mask is correct in your server as well as the cluster IP

David Ell

Monday, July 01, 2013 8:37 PM
  • All,
    We ended up opening a ticket with Microsoft. After several hours of troubleshooting, an error in the registry was found that affected the binding of the NICs.  This error was not visible in the network properties, but had something to do with our teamed NICs.

Microsoft fixed the registry error and all is well.

• Marked as answer by Tracy Oakley Monday, July 01, 2013 8:42 PM
    Monday, July 01, 2013 8:42 PM
  • I was experiencing the same error and tried changing the NIC binding order in the registry, but did not fix it. I was installing a SQL 2012 failover cluster instance from the command line. I eventually realized that the failoverclustergroup parameter value I was using did not match the case of the actual cluster service I had created for the instance in failover cluster manager. Once I started using the same case the error went away. I don't think this was the behavior in SQL 2008 R2, so it may have changed since then.
    • Edited by pokorourk Wednesday, January 29, 2014 12:19 AM
    Wednesday, January 29, 2014 12:19 AM
  • Hi Tracy

Just wondering what registry keys were identified - I have an issue with this exact same problem, would be really helpful to know where in the registry to look!

Thanks
    Vance

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 10:53 PM