none
SSRS 2008 configuration Manager - "Invalid Class"

Question

• Reporting Services Configuration Manager is throwing an error when I try to "Find" the server. The manager starts up and takes me to the "Reporting Services Configuration Connection" window. I click on the "Find" button (leaving the default comptuer name as-is; the local machine)  and get the error message "Invalid Class" with the title "Reporting Services Configuration Manager".

I've been searching around the interner and only found one forum post with a similar problem to my own. It was on this forum and the advice seemed to be pointing towards a problem with WMI, but it seemed that the user never found a solution. I've downloaded and ran the WMI diagnostics program and the log does contain quite a few warnings, but I don't know how to go about solving most of them. I did run regsvr32 on some dll files though :)

I won't post any logs yet, as I have no idea where the problem may be based. Please advise and I will post the required information.

Monday, January 18, 2010 1:10 PM

Answers

• Hi SiM99,

The issue shoule be caused by the case onpnt mentioned and you are trying to use Reporting Services Configuration Manager 2008 to connect to Reporting Services 2005. From your post, I am sure you never install SQL Server 2005 in the server. But, sometimes, SQL Server Express 2005 may be installed with other program. So, I would suggest you checking if SQL Server Expree 2005 is installed in the server using Services control(by running command services.msc). If SQL Server Express 2005 is installed, please uninstall it.

The issue should be caused by the uncompleted installation too. There may be a error during the installation.

Could you please check if there is any error in the installation error message?
    By default, we can get the installation logs from:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Log\Summary.txt

By the way, could you please follow these steps to check if the Reporting Services WMI provider is installed correctly?
    1. Run command wbemtest
    2. Click "Connect"and connect to “ROOT\Microsoft\SqlServer\ReportServer”(type this path in the Namespace textbox)
    3. After connecting to the name space, click "Query" to query “SELECT * from __namespace”. There would be one data in the record window(while the server only have one RS instance).
    4. Double-click the record, in the new properties windows, get the path value such as “\\<server>\ROOT\Microsoft\SqlServer\ReportServer:__NAMESPACE.Name="RS_MSSQLSERVER" ”
    5. Now, close all sub dialogs, and then re-connect to “ROOT\Microsoft\SqlServer\ReportServer\RS_MSSQLSERVER”. "RS_MSSQLSERVER"  is the Namespace.Name in step4
    6. Query “SELECT * from __namespace” again.
    7. Repeat step4,5, we will get the new path “ROOT\Microsoft\SqlServer\ReportServer\RS_MSSQLSERVER\v10”
    8. Repeat step2 to 7 until there is no record in the Query result dialog. Finally, the path is \\server\ROOT\Microsoft\SqlServer\ReportServer\RS_MSSQLSERVER\v10\admin

If we can't get the final path \\server\ROOT\Microsoft\SqlServer\ReportServer\RS_MSSQLSERVER\v10\admin, it means the Reporting Services WMI provider is not installed correctly.

Please try using the following method to solve it:
    1.Execute the Command windows.
    2.Go to the folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\ReportServer\bin
    3.Run the command: MOFCOMP reportingservices.mof

Please feel free to ask, if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
    Jin Chen

Jin Chen - MSFT
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 9:23 AM

All replies

• This is a common problem with you install 2005 and 2008 on the same server.  Is SSRS 2008 the only installation that is currently installed?
    Ted Krueger Blog on lessthandot.com @onpnt on twitter
    Monday, January 18, 2010 1:28 PM
  • Nope, I do have 2005 installed aswell.

I suppose I don't actually need them both installed though... It just taken me a while to get the two versions that I'm not sure about playing with the installations. hehe

If I were to remove 2005, would it require me to remove the entire installation of SQL Server 2005 or just the SSRS part of it?
    Also, do you happen to know if removing 2005 (be it the entire thing or just SSRS) would solve the problem without me needing to manually edit config files etc?

Thanks for the response onpnt
    • Edited by SiM99 Monday, January 18, 2010 1:43 PM Updated the question to be more specific.
    Monday, January 18, 2010 1:39 PM
  • Hi,

I have SSRS 2005 AND SSRS 2008 installed on the same server, but I never faced that problem.
    Not sure having both version installed is linked to that issue.

Amaury.
    Monday, January 18, 2010 1:43 PM
  • Not sure having both version installed is linked to that issue.
    You never know Amaury - I'm sure that SQL Server and SSRS have lots of settings and certain things may only be changed under certain circumstances.
    Monday, January 18, 2010 2:53 PM
  • That's why I wrote "Not Sure" ;-)
    Monday, January 18, 2010 3:17 PM
  • Hi SiM99,

The issue shoule be caused by the case onpnt mentioned and you are trying to use Reporting Services Configuration Manager 2008 to connect to Reporting Services 2005. From your post, I am sure you never install SQL Server 2005 in the server. But, sometimes, SQL Server Express 2005 may be installed with other program. So, I would suggest you checking if SQL Server Expree 2005 is installed in the server using Services control(by running command services.msc). If SQL Server Express 2005 is installed, please uninstall it.

The issue should be caused by the uncompleted installation too. There may be a error during the installation.

Could you please check if there is any error in the installation error message?
    By default, we can get the installation logs from:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Log\Summary.txt

By the way, could you please follow these steps to check if the Reporting Services WMI provider is installed correctly?
    1. Run command wbemtest
    2. Click "Connect"and connect to “ROOT\Microsoft\SqlServer\ReportServer”(type this path in the Namespace textbox)
    3. After connecting to the name space, click "Query" to query “SELECT * from __namespace”. There would be one data in the record window(while the server only have one RS instance).
    4. Double-click the record, in the new properties windows, get the path value such as “\\<server>\ROOT\Microsoft\SqlServer\ReportServer:__NAMESPACE.Name="RS_MSSQLSERVER" ”
    5. Now, close all sub dialogs, and then re-connect to “ROOT\Microsoft\SqlServer\ReportServer\RS_MSSQLSERVER”. "RS_MSSQLSERVER"  is the Namespace.Name in step4
    6. Query “SELECT * from __namespace” again.
    7. Repeat step4,5, we will get the new path “ROOT\Microsoft\SqlServer\ReportServer\RS_MSSQLSERVER\v10”
    8. Repeat step2 to 7 until there is no record in the Query result dialog. Finally, the path is \\server\ROOT\Microsoft\SqlServer\ReportServer\RS_MSSQLSERVER\v10\admin

If we can't get the final path \\server\ROOT\Microsoft\SqlServer\ReportServer\RS_MSSQLSERVER\v10\admin, it means the Reporting Services WMI provider is not installed correctly.

Please try using the following method to solve it:
    1.Execute the Command windows.
    2.Go to the folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\ReportServer\bin
    3.Run the command: MOFCOMP reportingservices.mof

Please feel free to ask, if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
    Jin Chen

Jin Chen - MSFT
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 9:23 AM
  • Installing SP1 would resolve the issue.
    Friday, October 01, 2010 2:06 PM
  • Hi,

Install SP1 in the sense of SQL server 2008 SP1?

Regards, R@J
    Thursday, October 07, 2010 3:57 AM
  • I have a similar issue but with SQL Server 2008 R2.  SSRS Configuration Manager is throwing an "invalid class" error when I try to connect to the server and hit "find".

The server is a virtual server with minimal resources running Windows Server 2008R2 Standard, the only software installed on the server is SSRS (the databases live on our SQL cluster).

SQL version is 10.50.1600 on both the SSRS instance and the SQL cluster.

I have the following error associated with the SSRS Service:
    "Failed to unload app domain DefaultDomain. The following exception occurred: Error while unloading appdomain. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131015)."

I looked at your reply above:

• There are no errors in the installation logs.
    • using WMI I get the error "Invalid Class" when I execute the query.
    • Running MOFCOMP had no obvious effect, but ran without error.

Do you have any suggestions with regards to sorting this out?

Regards,

Bill

William Gerrard Business Intelligence Analyst / SharePoint Administrator Salford Royal Foundation NHS Trust, Stott Lane, Salford, M6 8HD, UK
    Friday, August 19, 2011 10:23 AM
  • My issue was caused by a second instance of SSRS on the server not working correctly.  Removing the (no longer requried) faulty instance resolved my issue.

William Gerrard Business Intelligence Analyst / SharePoint Administrator Salford Royal Foundation NHS Trust, Stott Lane, Salford, M6 8HD, UK
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 9:22 AM
  • This response was by far the most interesting approach. It did help me identify that I indeed had an issue. I was not able to fix anything this way though.

My issue was because I installed SSRS from the SQL 2012 Express with Advanced Services... the 2012 SSRS worked great but I could not use the SSRS 2008 R2 (Developer Edition). I had to uninstall SSRS 2012.

- Hal Diggs

Thursday, May 09, 2013 2:46 PM
  • I have noticed that this issue can be caused by not running the configuration manager as Administrator, it the default login does not have the required WMI access.

Right click the Reporting Services Configuration Manager and choose Run As Administrator.

If you do not have administrative access then you might need to have the permissions elevated for WMI access to the login that you are using

David Bridge

David Bridge Technology Limited

Web dev and DBA

Thursday, July 11, 2013 10:51 AM
  • Bill,,

I am experiencing a very similar issue to what you have posted.

In the end what was your solution?  Were you able to get RS Configuration Manager connected to the Reporting Services Instance?

Thanks

Trevor

Trevor Embleton MCITP

Wednesday, April 09, 2014 5:26 PM
  • I'm having a similar problem with my 2008 R2 installation.  

* The WMI is installed correctly

* The MOF script runs successfully with no change to the error

* I've restarted the services and the server and re-installed the instance.(The account used is an admin account)

There is a 2005 installation on the machine but there is no SSRS installed along with it.  So I'm not sure if uninstalling this will actually help.  Does anyone have any new ideas on this?  Is Jinchun Chen still active to assist with this?

Joe P.

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 4:57 PM