none
Date format (dd/MM/yyyy) X-Axis with 1 Week Interval does not render Strip Line for SSRS line graph

Question

• Hi,

I am trying to achieve X-Axis Strip Line as shown in the below image with a RED line.

X axis values are in Date format (dd/MM/yyyy) and have interval of 1 week each. I need to put a strip line or a Target line as shown by RED line in the image for a specific date which I have in my dataset.

I already have a Y-Axis Strip line (Green horizontal line) which is on Amount and it displays without any problem but when I add a strip line to the X axis it just does not display on the graph.

I also tried adding another chart line but that did not work for me either.

Any suggestion or trick to achieve this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nitin Kumar

• Edited by Kumar, Nitin Wednesday, August 21, 2013 12:31 AM
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 12:24 AM

All replies

• Hi Nitin,

According to your description, you have meet issue with the Strip Line in X-Axis. I created a simple chart in my test environment. I through to configure StripLine Properties to get the effect.

You can refer to the steps below:
    1. Click X-Axis, in the properties pane, find out Striplines and click the (Collection).
    2. We can find an icon after (Collection), and click it.
    3. Click Add bottom to add a StripLine. You can refer to the screenshot below to setting StriLine properties. And in my test, I try to highlight the day of 2013-07-11. Also we can add an expression to control the value according to our requires. For example:
    =datediff("D",min(fields!DateNumber.Value),Cdate("2013-07-11"))

Preview the report:

Hope this help. If there are any misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,
    Alisa Tang

Thursday, August 22, 2013 8:56 AM
  • Hi Alisa,

Thanks for your reply.

However, There is one thing I missed to mention in my original post that my X-Axis is a 'scalar axis'. I had to make it an scalar axis because this graph is a progress graph and I have to show the position of progress in the entire date range even when the data is not available for that date.

Which means my graph displays the entire date range even when there is no data to plot. (see pic attached)

When I have the scalar axis the StripLine are not displayed but when I un-check the scalar axis property in the X Axis Properties the StripLines are rendered as expected.

Sincere apologies for missing a very important point of my question. Sorry !

Any help is highly appreciated.

best regards,

Nitin Kumar

Thursday, August 22, 2013 11:24 PM
  •  
    Hi Nitin,

Thank you for your reply. Sorry for my delay. In your case, we can try to add a second series with column chart to work around this issue.

You can refer to the following steps. Suppose the value in the Values dialog box is “SalesAmount”.
    1.    Add another ”SalesAmount” value in the Values dialog box.
    2.    Change chart type with Column Chart.
    3.    Refer to below expression to change the expression of this value.
    =IIF(Fields!DateNumber.Value=CDate("2013-07-17"),Fields!SalesAmount.Value,nothing)
    Note: we can according to our requires to change the expression.
    4.    We can setting the Properties of the chart to get the same effect with strip line.
    You can refer to the screenshots below:

Preview the report:

Hope this help. If there are any misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,
    Alisa Tang

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 1:32 AM
  • Hi Alisa,

Thanks for your trick. Very smart trick I m must say.

I actually tried doing it however, it did not work well for me then.

It works now.

Only one issue, The bar line (trick Strip line) appears only when the line graph has passed the day I want to mark. If that date is not marked on the Line graph the bar graph (trick Strip line) does not appear. screen prints below:

I was wondering isn't there a way to have X-Axis strip lines work with Scalar x-axis ? There should be. It does not make sense Ms would allow such conflict.

Any tricks are welcome :)

Thanks, Appreciate your help Alisa.

best regards,

Nitin Kumar

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 5:54 AM