none
Is there a difference between inserting Link from address and Link from Sharepoint selecting multiple lines?

Question

• Hello,

While defining a link in a newsitem (blog), some users noticed that the dialog box does not appear, to fill in the hyperlink text and url.

They select the text for the link. Then clicking on the function 'Insert Link from Address' and ... nothing happens. They try several times, reselecting the text and sometimes the dialogbox does appear and they can create the link.

There is no problem when they use 'Insert Link from Sharepoint'.

Further investigation showed that links cannot be created, when multiple lines are selected. If I select multiple lines, the dialogbox always refuses to pop up, when I try to create a link From Address. Under water the multiple lines consist of <p></p> html paragraphs. As soon as it concerns multiple paragraphs, I can't create a link from Adress.

However, using Link From Sharepoint, I actually can select multiple lines to create a link. I can change the URL afterwards to an external link and the link works perfectly.

Under water I compared both versions of the links:

<a href="/sectoren/Documents"><p>This is Link from Sharepoint</p></a>

<p><a href="This is Link from address">http://www.google.com/">This is Link from address</a></p>

It seems the Link from Address is within a paragraph itself, preventing this?

Users select a word to make a link, but by accident they also select a 'carriage return', or the <p> from the next line. It doesn't show when the word is highlighted, so it seems that only one word is selected, but actually the next line is also selected, resulting in no dialogbox. Very confusing for the users.

I wonder, is this 'works as designed' or a known bug?

Problem occurs in IE8 and IE9, we have Sharepoint 2010, Sp1 + CU June 11

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards
    Patrick
    The Netherlands

Monday, May 21, 2012 12:41 PM

Answers

• Hi Patrick,

Thank you for your post, this is a recently known issue that the "Link From Address" can not insert the link to multiple lines text.

For now as a workaround you mentioned, insert link to multiple lines text via "Link From SharePoint" then change it to an external link.

Thanks

Daniel Yang

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 5:10 AM
  • Great, thank you Daniel for the information.

I guess it will be solved in future updates. For now I have to instruct the users how to use this workaround.

Thanks again!

Patrick

Kind regards, Patrick

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 7:26 AM

All replies

• Hi Patrick,

Thank you for your post, this is a recently known issue that the "Link From Address" can not insert the link to multiple lines text.

For now as a workaround you mentioned, insert link to multiple lines text via "Link From SharePoint" then change it to an external link.

Thanks

Daniel Yang

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 5:10 AM
  • Great, thank you Daniel for the information.

I guess it will be solved in future updates. For now I have to instruct the users how to use this workaround.

Thanks again!

Patrick

Kind regards, Patrick

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 7:26 AM
  • Daniel,

I've been researching this for weeks, so glad I ran across this post!

We have noticed the issue on what appear to be single lines of text. However, testing with end users shows it is happening on bulleted items, which are single lines but are also block level items.  So I think Sharepoint would view a block level item as multi line?

We are using Wiki pages, so we don't have the "Link from SharePoint" option.  However, I have tested using the keyboard to select the hyperlink text in a list item, instead of the mouse.  This workaround seems to reduce the chance of picking up the html block elements around the text.

Thanks!

Nicole

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 6:18 PM
  • Alternatively, you can do all your editing in Firefox - works everytime. If fact, many of the bugs that occur when using Explorer work fine using Firefox. It seems Sharepoint and Explorer don't play nicely. Go figure.
    Wednesday, July 25, 2012 12:00 AM