Windows 8 Touch Screen

Question

• I have done a clean install of Windows 8 Developer Preview on a new system that has a multi-touch monitor (Acer T231H), but the touch screen is not working. Any ideas why? Do I need to install a driver or application? If so, can someone point me to that driver or application?

Acer has an application, but it doesn't install on Windows 8 because the installation program only recognizes Windows 7.

Friday, October 07, 2011 1:40 AM

Answers

All replies

• Acer has an application, but it doesn't install on Windows 8 because the installation program only recognizes Windows 7.

Since Windows 8 has not been released yet not all drivers are going to work with it. Some drivers are very specific about the operating system version, so you might have to wait until they release Windows 8 drivers (if they make them for your model).

If the drivers don't install, try installing them in compatibility mode.

Troubleshoot Compatibility

This can help with some (but not all) programs/drivers:
    1) Uninstall the program/driver if it's already installed. Then when you install/reinstall it instead of double clicking on the install file right click it and select "Troubleshoot Compatibility"
    2) Then click "Try Recommended Settings" and in the next windows click "Start the Program" to install it.
    3) After it installs see if it works correctly. Please note - some programs may not be able to run in Windows 8.

Friday, October 07, 2011 1:51 AM
  • Thanks for the info. I have already tried installing them in compatibility mode, but that didn't work.

I specifically bought this monitor for Windows 8 testing because some people have noted that it works, but I'm not sure how. Any help would be appreciated.

Friday, October 07, 2011 2:05 AM
  • Your first post says you tried the application, have you also tried the driver on the Acer website? It's on the Driver tab.

That monitor requires you to turn on the monitor first, then the computer.

There's a small chance Windows Update has a new driver for it.

You could also check the manual for other possible solutions. Or ask the people who said they got it to work.

Friday, October 07, 2011 3:00 AM
  • While it might be made to work with Windows8, keep in mind that it is a developer preview and not everything may work yet.

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Friday, October 07, 2011 8:48 AM
  • Update . . .

Actually the T231H works quite well and quite easily  . . . once you hook up the required USB cable to the monitor. Who knew?

Bob Thornley

Friday, October 07, 2011 9:31 PM
  • Hi All,

Thanks for the information. It is very helpful. My questions are:

Why do we need both usb cable and hdmi cable in order for this to work? Why is this only works when you select the duplicate display setting when your laptop is non-touch-enabled (I can not have the touch feature if I extend the display to the touch monitor)?

Thanks in advanced,

Saturday, November 05, 2011 8:40 PM
  • Hey Lynstock,

The problems you are encountering may be a side effect of using a driver that is designed for Windows 7.

Thank you for posting your feedback, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files. Can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here.

Steven
    Monday, November 07, 2011 9:32 PM