Unable to open 2 instance - of the same application

Question

• Hi,

I am using Windows 8 Developer Preview(with tools, 64-bit) which I downloaded from Microsoft. I unable to open more then one instance of the same application. For example if I open Notepad and wrote some thing. Before closing, if I try to open another Notepad means, its opening the old existing opened Notepad only. It is not opening the new Notepad. Like wise, same issue for Microsoft Visual Studio 11 Developer preview also, not able to open more then 1. So how to resolve this issue? Can any one please help me out? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Jamal.

JAMAL

Friday, October 14, 2011 6:44 PM

Answers

• Jamal,

Thank you for posting your feedback, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files.  Can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview.  There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here

I found workaround that you can use at the meantime, Right click on app you want to start antoher instance, click on advanced, click on Run.

• Marked as answer by MYJAMAL Saturday, October 15, 2011 3:50 AM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 7:18 PM
    Answerer
  • If you right click the tile, select advanced. then choose open file location, you can find the start menu shortcut which you can use to launch multiple instances.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    • Marked as answer by MYJAMAL Saturday, October 15, 2011 3:51 AM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 7:46 PM
  • Hi Jamal,

This is currently the intended behavior on Windows Developer Preview and not a bug since the idea is that users will use Metro UI as a switcher for classic applications. That said, how or if this behavior will change in the future is currently unknown.  Meanwhile, you can work around this by launching classic applications through classic desktop/explorer.

Thank you for your feedback!

• Marked as answer by MYJAMAL Saturday, October 15, 2011 3:59 AM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 9:37 PM

All replies

• Jamal,

Thank you for posting your feedback, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files.  Can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview.  There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here

I found workaround that you can use at the meantime, Right click on app you want to start antoher instance, click on advanced, click on Run.

• Marked as answer by MYJAMAL Saturday, October 15, 2011 3:50 AM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 7:18 PM
    Answerer
  • If you right click the tile, select advanced. then choose open file location, you can find the start menu shortcut which you can use to launch multiple instances.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    • Marked as answer by MYJAMAL Saturday, October 15, 2011 3:51 AM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 7:46 PM
  • Hi Jamal,

This is currently the intended behavior on Windows Developer Preview and not a bug since the idea is that users will use Metro UI as a switcher for classic applications. That said, how or if this behavior will change in the future is currently unknown.  Meanwhile, you can work around this by launching classic applications through classic desktop/explorer.

Thank you for your feedback!

• Marked as answer by MYJAMAL Saturday, October 15, 2011 3:59 AM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 9:37 PM
  • Hi Eric,

What you said is absolutely working. I thought this may be the bug. But I like this feature. Because of this, the people can practice to use Metro UI frequently and adapt to that, instead of using the old desktop version. Thank you for your clarification.

JAMAL
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 3:50 AM
  • Hi HaoWei Khor,

Yes. This feature is good. But some users may feels, it takes time to open multiple instance of an application frequently by switching metro and desktop screen. Any how I welcome this new feature. Not only this, also Windows 8 Developer Preview have tones of new features which I never expect to come while I am using Windows 7 Ultimate.

Regards,

Jamal.

JAMAL
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 3:59 AM