Next Generation Translator Widget FAQ and Release Notes

General discussion

• The Microsoft Translator and Bing Webmaster teams are announcing the new and improved Translator Widget. Built on the Microsoft Translator API the widget is a highly customizable and powerful translation tool you can place on your web page, instantly making the page available in 40+ languages. The redesigned widget provides a look and functionality best suited to today’s modern websites, while maintaining the features and functionality users love. Below are answers to commonly asked questions about the next generation of the Translator Widget.

Q: I am using the earlier version of the Translator Widget, how do I upgrade?

A: All you need to do to upgrade to the new Translator Widget is go on the Translator Widget Adoption Portal and get a new snippet to replace the one you currently have on your page. If you had Community Translations enabled in the earlier version, then you need to use the same URL and Microsoft account you used for the earlier widget. No data will be lost in the migration process!

Q: Does the new version of the Translator Widget offer the same customization parameters?

A: The new Translator Widget offers two ways to customize it. 1. The Customization Parameters, 2. The Translator Widget API. Those, combined, offer even more control than what you had with the old Translator Widget. Some customization parameters had been removed in the new Translator Widget, but will be coming back soon due to popular demand, so stay tuned!

Q: Is the UX customizable after Translator is invoked?

A: No, the UX after translation is invoked is not customizable using the widget. For a completely custom experience use the AJAX API which allows translation from any HTML element. More information is located here.

Q: Can I turn off translation for elements of my site, for instance code sections?

Yes. Please use the attribute translate=no  or class=”notranslate” to exclude this element from translation.

Q: Does the new version of the Translator Widget support section translation?

We are looking at this feature for a future release. 

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 9:17 PM
    Owner

All replies