none
Error #2104

Question

• I've incorporated a Silverlight2Beta2 user control into an ASP.NET website I developed.  I'm using VS 2008 Pro with SL2B2 SDK tools and everything works fine in local debug mode, but when I deploy it to a commercial web server, everything works but the Silverlight controls.  Here's the code snips:

<%@ Register Assembly="System.Web.Silverlight" Namespace="System.Web.UI.SilverlightControls"
        TagPrefix="asp" %>

<asp:Silverlight ID="DefaultRotateXAML" Source="~/ClientBin/Silver2Rotate.xap" MinimumVersion="2.0.30523"
                        Height="460px" Width="440px" runat="server" />

I get an "InitializeError error #2104...could not download the Silverlight application" when I surf to the site with IE7.  I've done some research on the web, and I'm starting to get the impression that maybe it doesn't work because the web server provider hasn't "turned on" Silverlight 2 yet since it's a beta product.  Perhaps it's a matter of waiting for Silverlight 2 official release before server providers will configure their systems for it.  (Of course, the possibility I've totally screwed up the code remains alive and well.)  Any ideas or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx

VS 2008 Pro Version 9.0.30729.1 SP   .NET Version 3.5 SP1   Silverlight Version 2.0.30523.8  Silveright SDK 2.0.30523.8

Friday, October 03, 2008 3:13 PM

Answers

• Thanx for your reply, russgove.  I've seen some threads about enabling mime types in IIS7 and so forth, but I'm not familiar with that.  I'm "borrowing" server space from my son's account with CrystalTech in Phoenix, so I just upload my asp files to wwwroot and the website appears.  Actually my engineer son did all the heavy lifting setting up the domain namespace and so forth, so my understanding of this is murky at best.  But I'm guessing I don't have any control over what CrystalTech enables in their web hosting software.  Anyway, Harsh Bardhan posted a solution which worked for me--I posted it in a previous "Error #2104 Solved" post--here it is:

In his post in the hosting forum, Harsh Bardhan came up with a solution.  He said:

Hi,

For Hosting you don't need to install silverlight.

If Your Hosting Provider Provides to Host .Net 3.5 application you can host that without installing  Silverlight or other dlls.

Only thing you need to do is change source extension of Xaml control in aspx Page from .xap to .zip .

do same thing in ClientBin folder source(.xap file change extension) also and host that.

Mark as answer if this post answered your question.

Harsh Bardhan

I tried it and it worked--mostly.  The Silverlight control runs, but there are some positioning offsets when the jpg's are displayed.  Need to play around with to see what's going on, but Harsh's fix vastly improved things.

Thanx 

Friday, October 03, 2008 10:37 PM

All replies

• I just had the same issue today! Have you enabled the .Xap mime type on your server? Take a look here:

http://weblogs.asp.net/cschittko/archive/2008/03/03/silverlight-2-0-app-not-starting-fix-iis.aspx

Friday, October 03, 2008 10:19 PM
  • Thanx for your reply, russgove.  I've seen some threads about enabling mime types in IIS7 and so forth, but I'm not familiar with that.  I'm "borrowing" server space from my son's account with CrystalTech in Phoenix, so I just upload my asp files to wwwroot and the website appears.  Actually my engineer son did all the heavy lifting setting up the domain namespace and so forth, so my understanding of this is murky at best.  But I'm guessing I don't have any control over what CrystalTech enables in their web hosting software.  Anyway, Harsh Bardhan posted a solution which worked for me--I posted it in a previous "Error #2104 Solved" post--here it is:

In his post in the hosting forum, Harsh Bardhan came up with a solution.  He said:

Hi,

For Hosting you don't need to install silverlight.

If Your Hosting Provider Provides to Host .Net 3.5 application you can host that without installing  Silverlight or other dlls.

Only thing you need to do is change source extension of Xaml control in aspx Page from .xap to .zip .

do same thing in ClientBin folder source(.xap file change extension) also and host that.

Mark as answer if this post answered your question.

Harsh Bardhan

I tried it and it worked--mostly.  The Silverlight control runs, but there are some positioning offsets when the jpg's are displayed.  Need to play around with to see what's going on, but Harsh's fix vastly improved things.

Thanx 

Friday, October 03, 2008 10:37 PM