Working With the New Boot Manager: Editing Boot Menu and Switching Between the Old and New Boot Managers

Question

• Howdy,

As everybody knows, Windows 8 sports the new bootmgr! And it's fantastic. But the question is: how to deal with it?

• How do I edit remnants of old boot records I mistakenly created using the bcdedit in Windows Server 2008 R2/Windows 7?
    • When you start the obsolete OS (like Windows 7) from the new boot menu, the new boot manager replaces the boot manager and restarts the PC so that on the next start you get the old OS boot manager.
    • How do you replace the boot manager and revert to the old one provided that Windows Developer Preview is installed into the VHD drive? I believe simply deleting the VHD will render the PC unusable, right? How do I switch back when needed?
    • By default, Windows Developer Preview sets itself as a default OS. How do I change to Windows Server 2008 R2/Windows 7, which I use to dualboot, and set it as default system to boot? Wouldn't that render my PC unusable?

Thank you.

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...
    Monday, September 19, 2011 4:19 PM

Answers

• I've tried it for you.

Installing Windows 8 DP => automatically chosen Windows 8 DP as default using Windows 8 boot loader .

In Win8, changing the default OS to Win7 using the step I have provided above => Windows 7 loader is used.

In Win7, changing back the defaults to Win8 using the same steps => Win8 boot loader used.

PS: The Question type would fit better for this your thread rather than Discussion.
    • Edited by MCCZ Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by Exotic Hadron Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:27 PM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:49 AM

All replies

• Swithing the boot manager: If you set the default booting system to Windows 7, you will get back the Windows 7's boot managers. You can configure this by Start - Control Panel - More settings - Sytem - Advanced System Settings - Startup group.

It should be still possible to edit existing entries using the bcdedit tool. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463064

Monday, September 19, 2011 4:38 PM
  • Swithing the boot manager: If you set the default booting system to Windows 7, you will get back the Windows 7's boot managers. You can configure this by Start - Control Panel - More settings - Sytem - Advanced System Settings - Startup group.

It should be still possible to edit existing entries using the bcdedit tool. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463064

As far as I know, selecting the Windows 7 boot manager as a default will bury down the new Windows 8 boot manager. Totally. Alternatively, you could select Windows 7 as a default from Other options menu within the new boot manager. You won't be able to use the new boot manager any longer, will you? That is switching back will be impossible!

When you say

Start - Control Panel - More settings - Sytem - Advanced System Settings - Startup group

Do you mean doing it in Windows 7 environment? Or right in Windows 8 environment.

The bcdedit only works for obsolete Windows 7 BCD database. What steps you recommend for using the bcdedit?

The only alternative way I know to revert the obsolete BCD is to run

bcdboot c:\windows

when working in Windows 7. This will completely overwrite existing BCD database with the one used in Windows 7.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:16 AM
  • I've tried it for you.

Installing Windows 8 DP => automatically chosen Windows 8 DP as default using Windows 8 boot loader .

In Win8, changing the default OS to Win7 using the step I have provided above => Windows 7 loader is used.

In Win7, changing back the defaults to Win8 using the same steps => Win8 boot loader used.

PS: The Question type would fit better for this your thread rather than Discussion.
    • Edited by MCCZ Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by Exotic Hadron Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:27 PM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:49 AM
  • Thank you for your help! If this is that easy, I am quiet!
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:28 PM