Bluetooth Problems

General discussion

• The Bluetooth problem must be greater than this forum would suggest.  I’ve had a problem with Bluetooth with versions 7000, 7022 and 7048.  In fact, it’s the only real problem I have had with Windows 7 and it is always the same problem.  It searches for devices but never finds anything, it doesn’t timeout, doesn’t give any indication that it is actually working.  The devices are discoverable.  There are no problems reported in Device Manager.  I’ve tried using the internal Dell Truemobile 355 Bluetooth + EDR and external Microsoft Wireless Transceiver for Bluetooth 2.0.  I’ve read all the Bluetooth reports in the Win7 forum and can’t believe that I am the only one with this problem.  And what’s really annoying is that in a period of 15 months, I’ve only used the Bluetooth facility once but over the last month, it seems I want to be using it frequently.  Bluetooth is meant to be the premier for wireless gadgets but I have never had a great deal of success with it; if you all make an effort and report your problems, it might take a higher priority within Microsoft (and by saying that I’m not suggesting its Microsoft fault but Microsoft might nudge somebody into fixing it).  Please add you comments to this thread or if you know whats wrong I'd like to hear from you.

Thursday, March 12, 2009 4:56 PM

All replies

• Mark,

I have BT problems with Win7 too.  Every time I put my Win7 beta drive in and boot up, I have to screw around with the discovery process.  Sometimes it works right away, but most of the time it takes so long and so many attempts that I don't know what made it work by the time it finally does!

I'm afraid I don't have a solution for your problem (and mine), but thought I'd add some sympathy.

Ron S. Cullen
    ronscullen@yahoo.com
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 9:17 PM
  • We're aware of the issue and it will be fixed before the RC.  If you can submit bug reports, please do, and we'll verify it's the same issue we're aware of.
    Todd [MSFT]
    Monday, March 16, 2009 10:14 PM
  •  

Hello,

I'd suggest reinstalling the Bluetooth driver in Compatibility mode. Remove that hardware device in Device Manager, right-click on the driver executable/installer file and select the Compatibility tab; click the checkbox before Run this program in Compatibility mode for option and select Windows Vista in the list-down box; then try installing the device driver. In addition, you can use the Windows XP driver for testing.

If the problem still persists, please understand that Windows 7 is a new operating system (only the beta version) and whole driverstore has been reprogrammed; some old driver is not compatible with new OS. I suggest that you should wait for another period of time till the retail version is released and push the vendor company to upgrade their device driver. Thanks for your time and understanding!

For more details, please look at the first Sticky thread at the top of this forum.

What can I do if my hardware does not work?

This will give you some guidelines.

Good Luck!

Thursday, March 19, 2009 11:08 AM
  • FWIW this problem seems to persist in the first RC Candidate.
    Friday, May 08, 2009 10:57 AM
  • Win 7RC (build 7100), with all latest updates, running on HP nc6320 laptop using the Widmax beta drivers suggested by W7 during install. Trying to work with a Nokia E71 phone using Nokia's PC Suite (and sometimes, just using Explorer to talk to the phone). The laptop will attempt to communicate with the phone and not work at all. Also, it says it's connected, then, it will randomly disconnect. I'll try going back to Compatibility mode tonight and install the XP drivers to see what happens and will report back.
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 4:29 PM
  • Hi Microsoft

Thanks for your responses and advice.  However, I still report that the Bluetooth module still does not work and your suggestions are not so simple to implement.  This is why I want to make a big deal about this issue now.

My Bluetooth module is manufactured by Broadcom; Broadcom does not supply drivers to Joe Public and expect computer manufacturers to provide drivers.  However, computer manufactures like Dell do not update drivers and we (Joe Public) end up with computers that do not work properly.  We end up relying on Microsoft to resolve issues for us.  The drivers for Bluetooth v2.1 install via the Win7 installation disk or windows update, hence we do not get the opportunity to experiment with compatibility mode.

To make matter worse Microsoft are now trying to hide the driver version number (not too sure on the logic behind that idea).  However, I believe that the version number supplied in Windows 7 is 6.2.0.8900 dated 22/4/2009 and is stamped as Microsoft Hardware Compatible.  If I cheat on Broadcom download, they try and install version 5.5.0.7200 dated 27/04/2009; that version looses Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator.

I have reported the problem to Broadcom, who maintain that it’s a Dell problem and nothing to do with them.  However, besides my laptop computer (Dell Vostro 1700), I have also installed Windows 7 on an HP Pavilion dv7-2030ea and a Toshiba Satellite ????.  The HP laptop had exactly the same problem as me - install Win7 and nothing else, bluetooth works, after a few programs have been loaded on, Bluetooth stops working.  That would make you think that the programs were causing some sort of conflict.  But this logic seems false when the Bluetooth works fine in Vista with exactly the same programs installed.  I can not determine what the driver version number is in Vista (the SP2 update follows the Win7 idea of hiding the driver numbers).  However, I suspect it is the same driver installed with Win7 (Vista was a clean install including the SP2 update).  The Toshiba Satellite switched off the Bluetooth and Win7 didn’t detect it; couldn’t find a solution on the Toshiba website to switch the Bluetooth back on.

I really believe that the problem lies with the Broadcom drivers and not Win7 (it was a Broadcom Bluetooth on the HP laptop as well). 

The reasons Vista failed was driver problems.  It is not only Broadcom who play the blame game.  Until recently Nvidia behaved exactly the same.  In fact, the Nvidia website still says that its standard drivers are not suitable for a Dell Vostro (although they seem to work very well).  Besides the Bluetooth issue, I also have printer problems.  Microsoft try to download new drivers but they wont install.

To clarify what I’m saying, I’ve had access to 3 laptops with a Bluetooth module and had problems with all three.  Hence, my original posting about that I cant believe I’m the only one with problems and proved to be accurate.

I much prefer using Win7 as opposed to Vista but for the driver issue problems listed above, it would be a mistake for me upgrade to Win7 because after having 2 years of problems with Vista.  Vista is now great; the same drivers as Win7, repeatable boot times (although it takes me an extra 10 seconds to boot up) but everything works.  If I purchase Win7 and have problems, do I phone up Microsoft helpline to fix it?????  You don’t tend to get driver updates from Microsoft unless you do a clean install of the operating system.

I hope that Microsoft can have another look at the Microsoft Hardware Compatibility program now to avoid costly problems later.

Regards

Mark

Sunday, June 07, 2009 4:55 PM
  • Hi again,

It just occurred to me that my logic is falty in the above statement.  I belive that the standard drivers provided by Micrsoft are the same in Win7 and Vista and the driver works in Vista and not Win7 which could still suggest a problem with Windows 7 build 7100 rc.

Sunday, June 07, 2009 5:08 PM
  • Hey mark I have the same problem when I trying to pair my dell bh200 bluetooth headset makes it perfectly but when I look for it, is not listed in playback devices, I like Windows 7 and use a dell xps 420 with the dell wireless 355c bluetooth 2.0 + EDR module and I also use bluetooth keyboard and mouse.  I try everything to fix the problem (Broadcom driver for win 7, dell drivers, even win vista drivers) but nothing works. Now a few days ago the bluetooth thing started with a new problem now I can't transfer photos and music from my pc to any phone and vice versa, which is so annoying and disappointed. Now tired of trying everything I have decided go back to Visa and It Works great!!! I hope Microsoft is aware of this irritating problem cuse I really want to use Windows 7. 

I apologize for my English I am not very good on it.
    Sunday, June 07, 2009 8:01 PM
  • The problem is quite severe. I have tried 4 dongles on 3 win 7 with several issues. Mostly the computer is not stable and loses the BT connection after a while. The device and printers facility stalls and the BT mouse becomes jerky. Quite a mess for somebody that uses BT for mouse, keyboard and mobile phones.
    Solution: Bouthg Toshiba BT stack, installed and most problems went away. only the mouse is sometimes a little jerky, still and the keyboard needs to be re-connected once in a while.  Still not perfect but 90% there.
    Conclusion: The problem is obviously in the drivers installed by the Microsoft BT stack.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 9:48 AM
  • In reviewing this thread, I'm sorry I haven't followed it more closely, but there appear to be 4 different issues being reported.

Please try to list the version of Windows 7 you are running with any report of a problem, and I would ask that different types of issues get new threads, and use whatever facility is available to you for submitting bug reports.

It looks like there are three kinds of issues:

1)   Audio doesn't work properly (3rd party driver required in both Vista and Win7 from Broadcom, CSR, or Atheros, whoever manufactured your Bluetooth radio in your PC)

2)   Bluetooth mouse may not work very well when the Bluetooth search for devices window is open.  When the device search window is open, Bluetooth is searching constantly, and you will find that the behavior is probably similar on Vista if you continuously press the search button.  If the problem doesn't go away when the search window is closed, please post bugs about this.

3)  The initial report was fixed after the Win7 Beta where on some systems Bluetooth inquiry would find no devices.  If this is still happening on any builds after the beta, please post a new thread or bug report asap.

4)  A report of some kind of application compatibility problem, but not what stops working or what applications are being installed.  I'm running Bluetooth successfully on Win7 RC1 with 88 applications installed and no problems yet, so we'll need a list of applications in order to start investigating.  If you could help us by trying to uninstall applications one at a time, reboot, see of Bluetooth starts working again, that would help.

Thanks!

Todd Schiele [MSFT]

Todd [MSFT]
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 6:46 PM
  • Hey!

i have also problem with bluetooth. but what is strangle.... my bluetooth speakers were working great on win 7 BETA. i didnt dicover any problems. now at RC1 build 7100 system telling me that speakers are working propetly, but dont play music at all. like disconnected device.

how its possible thats newest version have more problems than older one?!

how can i fix that ?
    • Edited by Acroma Monday, June 22, 2009 2:44 PM
    Monday, June 22, 2009 2:04 PM
  • I put the XP drivers in and the situation is still fouled up. It's completely unreliable and unless I see some radical action in the next week or 2, I'll be warning everyone I know to avoid Win 7 if they rely on Bluetooth for anything.

This is a VERY SERIOUS issue.
    "Fear disturbs your concentration"
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 3:55 PM
  • I'm a little late joining this conversation, however, for what it's worth even at the time of RTM, I have ultimately decided that most of these issues are due to drivers.

I've experienced an issue in which immediately after installing the Broadcom Bluetooth software (6.2.x) my Device Stage will hang with the "DeviceDisplayObjectProvider.exe" process hanging in Task Manager.

As soon as I remove the software, the Device Stage functions perfectly again. Although I can't say it's the cause of every reported BT issue here, I am convinced that Broadcom and their respective chip vendors are going to have to get on the ball and address this issue.

HOWEVER, with all due respect, GA of Windows 7 isn't until October 22, and all OEM hardware providers have until that time to get their critical drivers updated and published. In the case of Dell and HP, etc. I have no doubt they'll get it take care of. It's not worth threatening boycotts of Windows 7 (a perfectly great OS) over one vendor's driver issues.
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 5:21 PM
  • I have a Dell Studio 1737 which had Vista Home Premium, that I upgraded, with the Windows 7 RC 7100 (32bit) install.
    Over on the Dell forums we are still working with Dell developers, to get the Dell Travel Remote (IRa) for Media Center, up and working on this same system.
    (Bought a VP6600 Dell cardbus travel remote bluetooth which works fine.)

This brings me to my problem.

The major problem I'm having is with the Dell BH200 bluetooth headset, and Windows 7 RC (32 bit)
     Dell (developers) claim the Vista drivers work for both Vista & Windows 7 RC, however, I am unable to get the headset to connect, without going through the entire
    removal, [of BH200 headset] from my system, and re-install, everyday, for them to work properly[When they do even work]

The bluetooth icon never wants to stay in the taskbar, even after selecting it from bluetooth settings. I hyave tried a few things, with no luck including:

I have disabled the Bitdefender IS 2009 AV>Un-installed, rebooted>then re-installed the Dell bluetooth 370 drivers>Rebooted the machine, only to find when the bluetooth attempts to connect, to the BH200, it then dumps this connection attempt, for the onboard audio connection to the IDT chip, even when the DH200 is set as the default audio device.

the BH200 is paired with 2 Studio 17's one 1737(Win7 RC x32), one 1735 (Vista Ult. x32 SP2)

I've tried using all of the 3 drivers which show, when I uninstall bluetooth 370 from Device manager
    Broadcom drivers (Windows update)
    Dell Broadcom bluetooth 370 device drivers
    Dell Broadcom bluetooth 370 device drivers(windows)

I've listed them above as they read from within Device Manager (1737)

Hardware of Dell Studio 1737  is as follows

Core2duo (T9400) 2.53Ghz 1066FSB
    4GB  2x2GB Corsair DDR2 800Mhz
    2x 500GB (5400rpm) WD Cavier Blue HDD SATA 3.0
    Intel Mobile GMA 4500 MHD  256MB (Up to 1768MB shared) Max resolution 1900 x 1200
    2 MP Creative Webcam W/ Dual-Array Mic
    TSST 8x DVDRW cd DVD Burner T633A
    MajicJack USB

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

kind regards,

Dejavu2u

PS

On a side note, when I try connecting the BH200 to the  Studio 1735 with almost the same hardware,
    except
    the 800Mhz FSB C2D CPU of same speed 
    4GB 2x2GB of G.Skill DDR2 667Mhz
    256GB ATI 3650 Card with Hypermem (Shares up to 1736MB system Mem)

This one, whenever I try to connect the BH200 headphones, to this system, after using them on the 1737 listed above(IF they Connect at all),
     with the problem, I get a dump to a BSOD, which talks about :

- System

- Provider
          [ Name] EventLog

- EventID 6008
          [ Qualifiers] 32768

Level 2

Task 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated
          [ SystemTime] 2009-08-11T09:31:02.000Z

EventRecordID 35612

Channel System

Computer DaTerminator-PC

Security
    - EventData
        5:29:31 AM
        8/11/2009

D907080002000B0005001D001F009403D907080002000B0009001D001F00940340FA01003C0000000100000040FA01000000000020FD00000100000000000000

Binary data:

In Words

0000: 000807D9 000B0002 001D0005 0394001F
    0008: 000807D9 000B0002 001D0009 0394001F
    0010: 0001FA40 0000003C 00000001 0001FA40
    0018: 00000000 0000FD20 00000001 00000000

In Bytes

0000: D9 07 08 00 02 00 0B 00 Ù.......
    0008: 05 00 1D 00 1F 00 94 03 ......”.
    0010: D9 07 08 00 02 00 0B 00 Ù.......
    0018: 09 00 1D 00 1F 00 94 03 ......”.
    0020: 40 FA 01 00 3C 00 00 00 @ú..<...
    0028: 01 00 00 00 40 FA 01 00 ....@ú..
    0030: 00 00 00 00 20 FD 00 00 .... ý..
    0038: 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

Hope this helps anyone, or anyone can help me

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 11:02 AM
  • When Bluetooth stops working, is the Bluetooth radio disappearing from Device Manager?

We've seen several cases where Bluetooth hardware has just stopped working.  Some of the systems were under warranty, got new radios, and everything worked fine afterward. 

Thanks! 
    Todd [MSFT]
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 9:44 AM
  • Hi Todd,
    The bluetooth Radio is not disappearing from the device manager in my situation with either notebook (Dell Studio 1737 & 1735) to answer your question.

It turned out that I noticed, I had a brand new Dell 370 Bluetooth card, on my shelf of replacement parts which I used and replaced, the one already in the Studio 1737 with Windows 7 RC 7100 installed on it.

I un-installed the Dell driver, and every other driver I saw for bluetooth,(except the default one from Windows 7) & powered off, I removed the 370 card that was installed, and installed the new 370 following all ESD protocols
    I am an IT Tech for 20 years, and have repaired hardware often( on my anti-static mat, using a anti-static bracelet attached to the mat & my wrist) I've found that you can never be too safe, when dealing with notebooks, since you have all that plastic, causing static.

Well, after I installed the new one, I powered back on, I let windows 7 do the installing, and it went to the internet for an update, however it still has the same issues, as the one I replaced. I even attempted an install using compatibility mode, to no avail.

Considering that three of the same Make & Model Bluetooth card, using the latest driver 6.2.9000
     is having connectivity issues, makes me think this is something other then the hardware drivers. This seems more like a BT Stack issue from within Windows 7.

BTW for everyone with a Dell 370 Wireless card, one of the updates contains a firmware update, which can only be run on a Vista system. I used my Studio 17 with the Vista OS
    to upgrade the firmware, on the other 370 cards, and it seems to have had an effect on one card. That one, on Vista SP2, seems to work flawlessly now.
    It still won't allow the "Control" feature in Windows 7 RC 7100 to even bring up the window that should appear when this feature is activated by the user.
    Monday, August 31, 2009 5:34 PM
  • I am using Vista (32bit) on my Dell Studio 1735 and just recently downloaded the windows update SP2. Now my bluetooth won't work - it won't find any devices. When I go to bluetooth settings and try to enable "Allow Bluetooth devices to find this computer", it gives me this: "An error occurred while Windows was saving your settings. The Bluetooth device might be unplugged."

The bluetooth radio does not appear in Devices Manager. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
    Wednesday, September 02, 2009 4:27 AM
  • Happy to find someone else with a Studio 1735 trying Win7.  I have my machine set up with dual boot (from 2 different internal HDs.  So far, DELL bluetooth headset doesnt work, nor does the AverMedia TV PC card.  Any suggestions where I can get help getting these things to work?  I cant seem to find where to get DELL Win7 support.  Oh: I also was dearly hoping that the HDMI sound output would work with my blueray drive out my Yamaha amp, which doesnt work under VISTA (HDCP issue I think).  But under Win7, I am unable to play Bluray discs at all.  Do I need a 3rd-party decoder/player, ala VLC?  I miss CompuServe...
    Thursday, September 03, 2009 2:27 PM
  • Maremma, use this link to get the download you need to fix your bluetooth issues with studio 1735 using Vista

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R204794&SystemID=STUDIO1737&servicetag=&os=WLH&osl=en&deviceid=19472&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=1&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=5&fileid=286034

It will update the driver, and the firmware on the bluetooth card, and my Studio 1735 works flawlessly in Vista after using this update. let us know JC
    Thursday, September 03, 2009 8:59 PM
  • Happy to find someone else with a Studio 1735 trying Win7.  I have my machine set up with dual boot (from 2 different internal HDs.  So far, DELL bluetooth headset doesnt work, nor does the AverMedia TV PC card.  Any suggestions where I can get help getting these things to work?  I cant seem to find where to get DELL Win7 support.  Oh: I also was dearly hoping that the HDMI sound output would work with my blueray drive out my Yamaha amp, which doesnt work under VISTA (HDCP issue I think).  But under Win7, I am unable to play Bluray discs at all.  Do I need a 3rd-party decoder/player, ala VLC?  I miss CompuServe...

Hi Eskimojnr,

Dell has no support for Windows 7, and we will have to wait until Windows 7 goes RTM and Dell sells Studio 1737's with the Windows 7 on it, to be able to get the drivers(All hardware is the same, except for CPU & MEM) for our 1735's!

As far as your issue goes with Windows 7, try this driver from Broadcom(the maker of the bluetooth card in 1735 & 1737)

http://www.broadcom.com/support/bluetooth/update.php

It has made things better in Windows 7, for many users of a Studio 17, there are just way too many with issues still

As far as your HDMI issue goes(in Vista too), you need updated Video card drivers(hopefully you have the HD 3650 Video)

ATI 3650 here(don't use Dell):

Vista(these work even though not "mobility"): http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=vista32/common-vista32

Win 7: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-32.aspx

Intel(not too bad if you have 4500m HD and are using it for work); again don't use Dell):
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProductID=816&DwnldID=16023

Un-install your video drivers from Add/Remove programs> reboot the machine. then install these new drivers> reboot again
    then check to see if your HDMI is working right. Remeber you need to use the CCC to get that working right with the 3650
    mine works on both Studio 17's(35 & 37) with ATI...I've left my Studio 17 with the Intel video alone as it has work on it, & I can't afford to mess it up..lol

let us know how that goes, Vista should do everything flawlessly, on the Studio 17, the updated drivers from broadcom, have fixed everything(sign that some hardware Manufacturers won't let the OEMs get away without updating(cough Dell, HP, Gateway, etc)

JC
    • Edited by Dejavu4u Friday, September 04, 2009 1:02 AM no spacing due to code, had to enter breaks
    Friday, September 04, 2009 12:58 AM
  • I'm going to ask that we close this thread because there were multiple different issues raised in it, and it's very difficult to track or help solve problems this way.  Thanks Dejavu4u for the helpful links and suggestions.  If there are remaining issues to look at, can we start a new thread?

Thanks!!

Todd [MSFT]
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 6:47 PM