none
Footprint size

Question

• I used XPe before, and like this new windows standard. My problem is that I have a 1GB Memory-card and XPe had a footprint of 250MB.
    Why does Standard'11 need so much more? Is there a way to reduce the size to 200-300MB? I need only the core of Windows and DirectX. Not more, not a .Net frameworks and nothing with the Network.

Maybe it is only on the beta, or the finally version will also need 500MB-800MB? Sorry if I ask it here, but I can't find any page on the Microsoft site :(

Thanks, Adriano
    Monday, December 14, 2009 1:53 PM

Answers

• WES 2009 was based on XP whereas WES 2011 is based on Windows 7. OS footprint has increased dramatically compared to XP. Also , WES 2009 and XPE do not have the concept of "foundation core" which provides the minimal OS functionality. WES 2011 can only be as small as its foundation core. 

Hardware requirements WES 2011, as per CTP documentation , (these are unlikely to change dramatically for RTM)

The embedded device must meet or exceed the following requirements:

• 1 GHz x86 or amd64 processor
    • 512 MB of system memory (1GB recommended for amd64)
    • 900 mhz CPU or equivalent
    • 1 GB free space on hard disk drive (HDD) or flash-based Solid State Drive (SSD) (4 GB recommended)
    • At least one of the following bootable media types:
      • Bootable DVD-ROM drive
      • Bootable USB 2.0 port and a USB Flash Drive (UFD) with 4 GB of free space, or access to a local network
    • BIOS Supporting Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE) 3.0

Thanks
    Srikanth

Srikanth Kamath [MSFT]
    • Marked as answer by Adrianotiger Monday, January 18, 2010 9:08 AM
    Monday, December 14, 2009 7:36 PM

All replies

• WES 2009 was based on XP whereas WES 2011 is based on Windows 7. OS footprint has increased dramatically compared to XP. Also , WES 2009 and XPE do not have the concept of "foundation core" which provides the minimal OS functionality. WES 2011 can only be as small as its foundation core. 

Hardware requirements WES 2011, as per CTP documentation , (these are unlikely to change dramatically for RTM)

• 1 GB free space on hard disk drive (HDD) or flash-based Solid State Drive (SSD) (4 GB recommended)
      • Bootable DVD-ROM drive
      • Bootable USB 2.0 port and a USB Flash Drive (UFD) with 4 GB of free space, or access to a local network

Thanks
    Srikanth

Srikanth Kamath [MSFT]
    • Marked as answer by Adrianotiger Monday, January 18, 2010 9:08 AM
    Monday, December 14, 2009 7:36 PM
  • Some Confusions still running in my mind...As you said

• Bootable DVD-ROM drive

Are these the requirements of a system which would contain only an image and run it(only the deployment system where nothing is needed other than the Image) or these are the requirements to run EMBEDDED STUDIO??

2nd Question is that when u call foot print u mean the image that is built using target designer??? If so then my image size is like 300MB and I have just put 4-5 components(NTFS FORMAT,NTFS,EXPLORER SHELLL,LANGUAGE SUPPORT,NT LOADER wth some settings made like show start on desktop and other features like media player and so) but after FBA runs and I get the windows working that drive now has used space as 2.5GB .....WHY it oppupies 2.5 Gb being embedded video and just 4-5 basic things added??? Please clear these two confusions...

Thanks in advance.

Friday, January 15, 2010 6:41 AM
  • The hardware requirements are for the target device, not for your dev machine. Footprint (as specified in ICE) refers to the hard disk space that will be consumed by the image on the target device. It cannot be smaller than the foundation core which is about ~ 500 MB for X86.

Thanks
    Srikanth Kamath [MSFT] - This posting is provided "As Is" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 9:52 PM
  • Image consumes like 350MB or more when we paste it to the drive or any partition...After FBA runs and installs the components the drive size when chekced in properties says 2.5GB..So what is the foot print?? the installable 350MB in my case or installed windows???? Also if 2.5GB is consumed then whats there in the windows embedded for embedded devices as there is so much memory consumed for it to run...

Want to add here that When I m saying 350 MB and 2.5 GB its all about WES 2009....
    Thanks for being part of this discussion Srikanth, am bit confused at all this...would want you to have healthy discussion to give me good concepts...

Monday, January 18, 2010 7:47 AM
  • Is there a way to see how much space each component use?

The core need 512MB (better 1GB). But how much use each component? I can't find the size in the configuration editor... I don't want TCPIP or NET-components! I am missing the 200MB-Windows image :(
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 12:27 PM
  • Well on properties pane, there is mentioned the size of components when you click the component in the config editor...That might be what you are looking for....

Thanks
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 5:25 AM
  • On Properties, I see the size of the core (Windows Embedded Edition), and it is 591919104 (565MB).

But If I click on each component, I don't see the size. I know that drivers footprint is about 10MB, so for what need the embedded all this space? How much for BrowserService/Core-Settings/Deployment/DNS-Client/...?

It would be nice to know why Microsoft don't want reduce this core footprint and what is present in the core (components+size) :(

Thursday, February 18, 2010 9:10 AM
  • Target Designer has 3 portions..first one is component browser 2nd which is next to it is config editor pane and the third one properties pane...Now when you click on any component on configuration editor pane, the properties for that component appear in the right most pane which is component properties pane...at the end there is mentioned the size of the component.....

and the overall size of image...My image when built shows 350MB and after deployed and fba is finished, the drive shows like 3 GB...Still confused at this....there are solutions to which i m workin on these days...

Thanks
    Friday, February 19, 2010 6:32 AM