Windows Media Player 11 not playing WMV files (SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!)

Question

• Hi there,

I am unable to play any wmv files through WMP11. It keeps telling me that the files might be encoded using an unsupported coded, however, the files i am trying to play are either files that came with Vista Ultimate edition or were encoded using windows media encoder back when i was running XP. Can anyone point me in the right direction to solve this issue?

Thanks!

I am trying to develop a player, but for now i can't do anything until i resolve this issue.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 12:40 AM

Answers

• Hi All!!

I figured it out! It seems like some drivers were added that overrode the video settings and rendered them inoperable. So far all is well!!

Phew!!!

Saturday, June 21, 2008 7:49 PM

All replies

• Do they play when you run media player from the start button ? Will it run anything at all ? I think you meant to say codec not coded .It can also be something with vista's digital right management but because you said it was a codec issue I don't think so . Maybe you had a bad install you can try and download media player again and install it . Media player usually tries to download codec's from the internet when it needs them .

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 3:19 AM
  • We are changing the issue type to “Comment” because you have not followed up with the necessary information. If you have more time to look at the issue and provide more information, please feel free to change the issue type back to “Question” by editing your initial post and changing the radio button at the top of the post editor window. If the issue is resolved, we will appreciate it if you can share the solution so that the answer can be found and used by other community members having similar questions. Thank you!

Monday, June 16, 2008 8:37 AM
  • Hi,

Most things with the wmp11 can't be displayed so it needs a codec

you let it search but you see no result.

Then it tels you the codec is instaled but all you see is the visualisatie

not your video.

Almost every video's will play with this codec, read it and scroll down

just pick the right one from the Vista or XP Version.

http://www.voiceage.com/acelp_eval_eula.php

Nightblade

Monday, June 16, 2008 11:07 AM
  • Good Day,

sorry for the late response!

Here is some info that might be helpful:

1. I am running windows vist Ultimate on a MacBook using parallel desktop.
    2. Only audio files work, like mp3, .cda, wma
    3. WMV files don't work at all not even the ones that come as samples with the OS
    4. MPEG files only play audio with visualization but no image.

However,

If i play these files through the mac OS they all play.
    WMA, WMV play through Windows Media Player for MAC
    MP3, MPEG, etc. play through quicktime.

I also tried and installed this klcodec395f.exe to see if it helps. It did in one way by allowing me to play WMV and WMA files through the "Old School" version of Windows Media Player that comes with it, however, WMP11 still couldn't play the files.

Hope this gives you a better understanding of my situation.

Please help!

Thanks!
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 10:12 AM
  • When you install media player 11 dosen't it replace the old version ? I would try and reinstall it or check the tools/options/player tab ( on XP don't know about vista ) and make sure the download codecs automatically checkbox is checked . Seems strange though .

Thursday, June 19, 2008 10:31 AM
  • I can't figure out how to re-install WMV11, it comes integrated with Vista and there are no standalone version that I can find for Vista, only for XP!!!! I hate integrating everything!!! There is not even an option to remove it through the control panel!!!

Any other thoughts?
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 10:36 AM
  • OK THIS IS REALLY WEIRD!!

I re-installed Vista and tried playing a video and all worked fine!

BUT THEN AFTER I INSTALLED VISUAL BASIC EXPRESS 2008, THE VIDEO FILES ARE NO LONGER WORKING IN WMP11!!!!!

WHAT THE ?????

CAN ANYONE HELP!
    Friday, June 20, 2008 12:48 PM
  • Hi All!!

I figured it out! It seems like some drivers were added that overrode the video settings and rendered them inoperable. So far all is well!!

Phew!!!

Saturday, June 21, 2008 7:49 PM
  • Hi Kooks,

Can you please explain what was the problem?

I am facing the same issue of not playing the WMV files in Media Player 11 on Vista. And even I am not able to listen voice of live TV which runs on media player plugin; the video is running fine though. Other videos on google / youtube etc. run fine.

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 8:49 PM
  • Hi Sam,

My issue was due to running Vista on a Mac through Parellel Desktop. Apparently when i installed the Parallel Tools set which enables sharing files between both OSs it disabled the video in vista.

It was an odd situation, however, i just solved it by removing the parallel tools.

Not sure if that would be helpful to you.

Kareem
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 12:23 PM
  •  

Kooks, so what exactly did you do.  I'm having a similar problem, though not with a mac, but I don't think I installed anything lately that is giving me this problem.  Compounded with this media player not being a standalone software....just *** integrated by MSFT that doesn't allow you to remove it in Vista.
    Saturday, August 02, 2008 12:02 AM
  • Hi,

I've had the same problem with Vista Ultimate.  For whatever reason, I started having problmes with:

1. Adobe Flash Player not working (couldn't see Youtube videos).  I had to un-install the flash player, then re-install to play youtube videos (flash player videos).  Upon reboot, the same problem would occur....I simply had put shortcuts to the un-install.exe file on my desktop as well as html link to the download/install of flash player every time I rebooted, I'd have to do the same thing.
    2. Windows Media Player wouldn't play .wmv files????  I would play them with other video software, but not with Windows Media Player.  The same .wmv files would work on another computer with WinXP, so it wasn't the files.

I started suspecting permissions, and didn't want to completely drop all restrictions, but couldn't figure out exactly how to give me the permissions (although my login was a named login with 'administrator' rights, I've since found out this isn't the same as logging in as 'Administrator').

Solution => I changed the login so that it wouldn't hide the Administrator login Icon in the login window (yea, I changed it from automatic login to welcome screen login)....and login as ADMINISTRATOR and NOT AS SOME OTHER LOGIN ACCOUNT (even if listed as having 'administrative' privelages).

All is well with WMV files.....then I checked Youtube, and found that problem is fixed as well.  So it must have something to do with privelages (or lack thereof) in the named accounts relative to administrative logins.

Regards,

-Bulls9999

Saturday, August 02, 2008 3:13 PM
  • If you dont have to stay with media player, then why not download VLC media player? Its free and really good, and it plays almost any media file format.
    A great download for me.

CAUL
    Saturday, August 02, 2008 6:45 PM
  • I have another issue of Windows Media Player plug-in installed in Internet Explorer. I am not able to listen the voice of the live TV which runs on the WMP Plugin whereas I am able to view the pictures without any problem. If this is said problem of my sound driver, I am able to listen the voice of the Youtube videos. (Flash Player).

Can anyone help me in this regard?

Thanks,

Sam

Sunday, August 10, 2008 2:25 AM
  • I've been toiling with this problem too but I have fixed my problem! I've tried downloading so many codec packs and reinstalled WMP itself but it did not fix the problem. Now I know everybody has told you to check your speakers, make sure they're not muted and make sure the file types are associated with WMP, but you also need to check WMP itself!

Open WMP and go to Tools > Options > Devices > Speakers (and then click on properties...

Make sure the Sound Playback here is listed as yours sound card and NOT Default Direct Sound Device (which somehow mine got set to).

Click OK.

If you want, you can also go to the PLAYER tab and check Connect to the Internet and Download Codecs Automatically so you can be certain that it is attempting to download codecs if you need them.

This fixed my issues with WMP not being able to recognize MP3s OR WMVs. It also fixed my problem with No Audio while playing other video files.

I hope this helps someone out there cause I know I couldn't find a good solution out there on the internet. If this works for you, please, copy and paste this info in similar forums so people out there will have a better chance to find this solution.

-PJ, www.JWorksStudios.com
    Monday, December 01, 2008 7:41 PM