none
FabrikamGlucose Sample installer fails on Windows 8, 64-bit. Error 1722

Question

• How can I get the FabrikamGlucose Sample installer FabrikamGlucosePackage-x64.msi to install successfully on Windows 8, 64-bit?

Here is what I have so far:

I built both the 32 and 64 bit installers for the FabrikamGlucose Sample from the HealthVaultDDP with Visual Studio 2008 on a Window 7, 64-bit VM.

When I run the FabrikamGlucosePackage-Win32.msi, it succeeds on 4 platforms:
    1. Windows 8, 32-bit VM
    2. Windows 7, 32-bit VM
    3. Windows Vista, 32-bit VM
    4. Windows XP, 32-bit VM

When I run the FabrikamGlucosePackage-x64.msi, it succeeds on the Windows 7, 64-bit platform, but fails to install on Windows 8, 64-bit.

On the Windows 8 64-bit VM, the message in the installer error window is:

"There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

Next, in the Event Viewer / Windows Logs / Application , there was the following error:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        MsiInstaller
    Date:          7/15/2013 5:38:46 PM
    Event ID:      11722
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          Win8VM\Win8Test
    Computer:      Win8VM
    Description:
    Product: FabrikamGlucose Drivers for HealthVault -- Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action PreInstallWpdDriver, location: C:\Windows\Installer\MSI7975.tmp, command:  /InstallDriver "C:\Program Files (x86)\FabrikamDrivers\GlucoseSamples\FabrikamGlucoseWpdDriver.inf"  

After that, I added logging to the DriverSetup.exe.
    When I ran a new FabrikamGlucosePackage-x64.msi which included the logging, on Win8 64-bit, I found that the PreInstallDriver function was failing with a -536870353 error code.

Searching online I found this page:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/15260.windows-update-agent-error-codes.aspx
    which has the following line:
    0xe000022f -536870353 ERROR_NO_CATALOG_FOR_OEM_INF

I'm not sure what would be wrong with the catalog file. The MSIs work on so many other platforms. From what I see in the WiX installer project in the FabrikamGlucose solution, it appears to me to have a .cab file not a .cat file. Also, using Orca on FabrikamGlucosePackage-x64.msi, I see only mention of a .cab file in the Media table, not a .cat file.

This is all the data I have on this problem, so far.

What do I need to do to fix the FabrikamGlucose sample code so I can get a FabrikamGlucosePackage-x64.msi which will install on 64-bit Windows 8?

Thanks,
    John

• Edited by John QS Tuesday, July 16, 2013 3:04 PM so far
    Monday, July 15, 2013 11:05 PM

All replies

• Hi John,

ERROR_NO_CATALOG_FOR_OEM_INF  is usually related to a driver needing to be signed before being installed. We may need to engage with the Windows support team to diagnose this issue further. It is interesting that your 64-bit Windows 8 systems is the only system where you see this error. Does that system has the same group policies applied as your other test systems?

We will also see if we can reproduce the problem here.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 10:20 PM