none
Can I check what apps are installed or what apps are currently running?

Question

• I wrote an app for Android. It is a kind of app adviser that learns what habits users have with their installed apps. So, for example if a person likes to read news in the morning, my widget detects that and next time it shows all of users news apps. But, if a person likes to browse instagram during lunch, my widget should learn that and place this app in front of the others. I base on Androids task manager - check what app is running on what time and try to learn the pattern.

I would like to create something similar. My question is: can I somehow check what apps are currently running on the device? Or at least check what apps are installed?

Friday, July 18, 2014 7:58 AM

Answers

All replies

• No, not from a Windows Store app. Windows Store apps cannot interact with or observe other apps.

• Proposed as answer by Dave SmitsMVP Friday, July 18, 2014 8:43 AM
    Friday, July 18, 2014 8:19 AM
    Owner
  • Do you know where I can find this information in documentation? 

I mean, I'd like to post like to that for my boss as an explanation why is it impossible to finish this task. 

EDIT:

Can I interact with placed live tiles on my start screen? I know I can create my own... but can I for example change or replace an already pinned tile (like IE).

• Edited by Quarien Monday, July 21, 2014 8:38 AM
    Monday, July 21, 2014 8:10 AM
  • We generally document what you can do, not what you cannot do.

For more information on the general principles behind Windows Store apps see What's a Store app? The Delivering reliable and trustworthy Metro style apps blog entry is a bit out of date (it is from early in the Windows 8 beta) but covers the basics behind the confidence model that safeguards the system and user's data from rogue apps.

You can also look at the PackageManager class which allows managing packages from a desktop app and is documented as not available from a Windows Store app.

There is no API to interact with another app's live tiles from either a Windows Store or a desktop app.

--Rob

Monday, July 21, 2014 9:04 PM
    Owner