none
Looking for “Business Intelligence Projects” in VS 2010

Question

• I just installed Visual Studio 2010 Premium, RC.  I opted for installing all features.  When I go to File - New - Project, I'm looking for “Business Intelligence Projects” among the list of templates, but I don't see that.  Ultimately I'm looking for "Report Server Project" which would allow me to design a SSRS report.

This link tells me that the ability to design a report in VS 2010 does in fact exist.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee960138(VS.100).aspx

Can someone guide me to how I can get Report Server Project in VS 2010?

Thanks
    Paul

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 6:04 PM

All replies

• Hi Paul,

The BI Projects are not yet available in VS 2010. We do plan to address this in a future release, but I do not have a confirmed time frame.

As a side note, The BI project templates ship as part of SQL Server, not with VS. If I had to guess at a release vehicle for updated templates, I would say SQL11. The SQL 10.5 release did not rev the templates.
    Brad Syputa, Microsoft Reporting Services This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 9:01 PM
  • Brad,

Why does the VS 2010 documentation mentioned by PaulVegg explicitly state the changes to the RDL.  Extract below.   How can Microsoft make these claims in their documentation if it's a lie?

What's New in Microsoft Reports

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 contains the following new reporting features to help you design reports, display them in your applications, and integrate your applications with Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services:

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 11:23 PM
  • Hi Paul,

VS2010 does contain a new ReportViewer control, a Report Designer that can design reports for the RDL 2008 schema, and a new report wizard. The BI projects you're referring to (report server project, for example) are SQL Server-specific projects, which are not shipped with Visual Studio, but SQL Server instead. This is why you don't get it simply by installing VS2010. The upcoming SQL Server 2008 R2 release still uses the VS2008 shell for its new features, and there's no integration with the VS2010 shell yet.

You can however design an RDLC report and display it using the VS2010 ReportViewer, although this would be in an ASP.NET application or Windows Forms application, and not a report server project that can be deployed to a report server. See Samples and Walkthroughs for step-by-step instructions on how to do this.

Cephas

Thursday, February 18, 2010 4:25 PM
  • Visual Studio does contain a report designer for use with the ReportViewer control.  When you create a winforms or ASP.Net project, you can add a ReportViewer control to a form.  The report designer mentioned in that documentation allows you to design reports for local mode.  While the report designers are very similar between local mode and a report server project, there are some differences.  In local mode, for example, the host application is responsible for executing queries, so you won't find the same data source selection UI in local mode.  For the same reason, you also won't be able to preview a report from the design surface since running the report in local mode requires running the application.

It is the local mode designer that has been updated to use the 2008 RDL schema in Visual Studio 2010.  The report server project, along with the assemblies required to preview a report and export it to the various rendering formats that are available with the report server is a feature that has always shipped with SQL Server as a plug in to VS.  As Brad mentioned, the most recent version of SQL Server uses the VS 2008 shell.

Thursday, February 18, 2010 4:32 PM
  • Hi Paul,

VS2010 does contain a new ReportViewer control, a Report Designer that can design reports for the RDL 2008 schema, and a new report wizard. The BI projects you're referring to (report server project, for example) are SQL Server-specific projects, which are not shipped with Visual Studio, but SQL Server instead. This is why you don't get it simply by installing VS2010. The upcoming SQL Server 2008R2 release still uses the VS2008 shell for its new features, and there's no integration with the VS2010 shell yet.

You can however design an RDLC report and display it using the VS2010 ReportViewer, although this would be in an ASP.NET application or Windows Forms application, and not a report server project that can be deployed to a report server. See Samples and Walkthroughs for step-by-step instructions on how to do this.

Cephas

It is exactly what I need, Thanks for your sharing!
    Saturday, September 04, 2010 3:23 AM
  • I get what Brad is asking. In my case, I installed SQL 2005 w/ SSRS, on a Windows 2003 Computer w/ VS 2005. In this configuration the SSRS environment was simple and worked great for years.

Now I have a brand new 64bit Windows 7.0 computer, w/ freshly installed Visual Studio Premium 2010. All I want to do is continue working with my existing SSRS solution, created in VS 2005. What I am taking from this thread is that this will not work?

Sounds like the baby drowned in the bath water to me.

HangTen
    Wednesday, December 08, 2010 9:35 PM
  • How far into the future must we wait?

I have VS2010 Ultimate x64 running on Windows 7 x64 with SQL 2008 R2 x64 (10.5).

No matter what I try, I cannot create an .rdlc file using VS2010, period. New project, reports, add item, reports, using .net 2, 3.5, 4.0, or installing SQL x86 or x64.

Error 1 The report definition is not valid.  Details: The report definition has an invalid target namespace 'http://schemas.microsoft.com/sqlserver/reporting/2008/01/reportdefinition' which cannot be upgraded. 
    ...\Temporary Projects\ReportsApplication1\Report1.rdlc ReportsApplication1

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Visual Studio 2010 & SQL Server 2008 R2, and tried Report Builder 2.0 & 3.0 about a dozen times.

Note that this failure occurs with Visual Studio 2010 SP1 beta as well, using New Project, Reporting, Reports Application, even with a blank report.

Am I alone with an obscure configuration issue or is this a known problem judging by the chatter on the web?

Any suggestions?

Dwayne J. Baldwin
    Sunday, January 09, 2011 10:17 PM
  • Can you post the RDL of the blank report that is given you this error? Normally you would only see this error if you tried to open a report that is a newer version of RDL such as a SQL 2008 R2 which has a namespace of 2010 and not 2008, the RDLC designer in 2010 should open 2008 RDLs with no issues.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Monday, January 10, 2011 7:16 PM
  • Sorry for the delay. It took a few days to reinstall Windws 7, Visual Studio 2010 and SQL Server from scratch. For whatever reason it works now.

Dwayne J. Baldwin
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 3:50 AM
  • Does Visual studio 2010 comes with Integration services? can you please let me know..
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 12:01 AM
  • So, a year later, and now SP1 is released.  Will we ever have BI Projects available in VS 2010?

Thanks,

Scott Hatfield

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:00 PM
  • i'm looking for the same stuff, looks like its an abandon project now.
    Thursday, April 07, 2011 1:36 AM
  • Where is BI for Visual Studio 2010?  We've waited for over a year, our upgrade path is a cluster because of this delay.  DTS is problematic, 75% of our DTS's have been converted to SSIS, our staff has converted to VS 2010, but most of us keep VS 2008 installed to deal with SSIS....what a mess.  We've moved from VSS to TFS and that's just added to the fun...our DTS packages are still in VSS, but admins want us to move to TFS, causing a major compatibility headache installing all the upgrades to make things backward compatible. 

The added complexity of all these products has reached a point of diminishing returns.  At this point the general concensus is dump all the bells and whistles if it means total gridlock upgrading.  And frankly we don't care if there are solutions anymore if they have to be so obscure, constantly required, and treated as normal.  All of this complexity and maintenance takes us away from staying focused on the business logic for the companies we work for that is our primary concern.  If a product is not fully functional, then better to not release it.

Monday, April 11, 2011 3:45 PM
  • Hi Mark,

We use Reporting Services here on a regular basis and run into the exact same issues. I have the same configuration on my development machines, only just recently having stopped using VS 2005.

We are working to solve the problem of releases being in sync, but nothing new will be out until Denali ships. You can see what is in the release if you join in for CTP3 of Denali, which is coming out in a couple of months.

Everyones feedback is appreciated. Thanks, Brad

Brad Syputa, Microsoft Reporting Services This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
    Monday, April 11, 2011 4:12 PM
  • I do worry about Microsoft sometimes!

No BI projects in VS2010.

Pulling the plug on Dundas OLAP Client.  What a great Ajax cube browser that was. RIP.

Now they've bought SKype I worry that'll be trashed as well.

Come on guys!

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 12:50 PM
  • Here's my feedback: this sucks.  I'm sorry I can't be more constructive.

To drop support for BI projects in VS 2010 is a mistake.  I want to have one solution that has my ASP.NET intranet site, my library projects, AND MY SSRS project.  All of my other projects have been converted over to VS 2010, but my SSRS project is stuck in VS 2008.  Yay.

Monday, August 01, 2011 9:51 PM
  • Ultimately I'm looking for "Report Server Project" which would allow me to design a SSRS report.
    Can someone guide me to how I can get Report Server Project in VS 2010?

Looks like you need to install the SQL 2012 Management Tools (+ Report services bits) to get VS2010 BI projects. Upgrades the VS2008 projects as well.  I tried Report Builder 3 and that required integrated Reporting Services, which didn't work well for me, as I want to use reports in ASPX/WPF applications separate from RS.  If you open "SQL Server Data Tools" from your start menu, it will open VS2010 and offer reporting options. FINALLY!

Jamie Clayton http://www.jenasysdesign.com.au

• Proposed as answer by Jamie Clayton Friday, April 06, 2012 10:52 PM
    Friday, April 06, 2012 10:29 AM
  • So there are basically 2 versions of the SSDT, one provided by the visual studio team and one by the SQL Server team.

The Visual Studio team's SSDT gives you the database project in VS 2010.

The SQL Server team's SSDT gives you the Analysis service, report service, and integration service projects in the VS 2010 shell.

The questions I have are:

If you install both on your Visual Studio 2010 development server will all the features of both work?

Do we get tto start this game all over again with VS 11?

Oh and does it really have to be this complicated?

Friday, May 11, 2012 9:42 PM