none
Windows 7 64-bit and Foxpro 9.0 -- Visual FoxPro Cannot Start. Insufficient Memory

Question

• Hi.

I am a long time user of FoxPro, going back to 1995.

Just set up a dual boot system with XP 32-bit and Windows 7 64-bit.

All my programs have installed without a hitch except Visual FoxPro 9.0.

When I try to launch it I get the message "Visual FoxPro Cannot Start. Insufficient Memory ."

My system is a Dell Precision 490 with 10 gig RAM.

I have searched the Internet for a couple of hours and have seen two threads with the same problem but have seen no solution.

Ironically, FoxPro was the first software package I installed and it loaded fine at the time (just as a single test).

Since then I have installed Office 2007 and some Adobe software (Acrobat, Photoshop), and GlobalScape CuteFTP and BibbleLabs image editing software.

I have re-installed Visual FoxPro twice with both the original disk and with service pack 2 added.

Neither way will allow it to launch without the above mentioned error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Alan
    Saturday, July 04, 2009 11:55 PM

Answers

• I would try memlimit in config.fpw. During 2.x days I remember that error was caused by "too much memory" rather than too few. Solution was limiting the memory used by VFP using memlimit. I woud try:

MEMLIMIT=20,65536,3145728

As far as I know, with VFP MEMLIMIT is removed because VFP allocates the memory dynamically. That may have been a bad decision. 10 Gb on a 64 bits system, bt VFP is 32 bits and cannot address beyond 4 Gb. I don't have an idea if that might be the reason but thinking loud. I didn't have problem under win7 64 bits but my RAM was 4 Gb.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 2:15 PM

All replies

• Free up memory: Go to: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa976626(VS.71).aspx Uninstall Some of You had mentioned App's
    azizsallam
    Sunday, July 05, 2009 7:23 AM

• I thought the evolution of operating systems like Windows 7 included better memory management.

This problem occurs with no other applications running other than those within Windows 7.

As I previously stated, I have 10 gigabytes of memory installed.

Thanks.

Alan
    Sunday, July 05, 2009 11:52 AM
  • ALAN : Memory management is a big story in operating systems and VFP Allocates Its memory as microsoft designed I advice developers to take a look to memory management module in any OS Book.To Know the policies .You by your self said that this problem is found after installing other Software. Review sys(3050)
    Sunday, July 05, 2009 5:16 PM
  • Thanks for your comments.

Let me first say I am not a developer.

I write basic programs to manage data then pass only my requests to those who write more complex programs.

I have been very lucky in the past in that my FoxPro usage required very little fiddling.

I know nothing about sys(3050).

Since Visual FoxPro will not load, how do I change sys(3050) where it allows FoxPro to load without error?

Is this a line of code I put in my config.fxp file?

Thanks ... alan
    Monday, July 06, 2009 2:16 PM
  • Where did you install vfp and is not working ? on xp or w7 ?

dni
    Monday, July 06, 2009 3:11 PM
  • It is not working on Win 7.

It has worked flawlessly on XP.

I did, just a while ago, install VFP 7.0 and it is working fine on Win 7.

My troubles lie with VFP 9.0 and Win 7.

Alan
    Monday, July 06, 2009 6:27 PM
  • It should work. You may install vfp 9 on W7 64  and will work also for xp 64 only with a shortcut....
    Are you sure that your ram memory is installed correct and your processor(s) and os can access and manage 10gb of ram ?

dni
    Monday, July 06, 2009 6:49 PM
  • As for whether my system can manage my 10 gig of RAM, I can only assume yes.

It shows that it is installed, under system properties.

My processor is a Zeon quad-core.

My only assumption at this point is that another software program has disrupted my VSP 9.0 install.

I have removed and re-installed it twice.

I have read a few threads that various Adobe CS4 applications appear to mess with some Win 7 settings.

On my end, I did install Photoshop CS3 after I installed VFP 9.0.

alan

Monday, July 06, 2009 7:49 PM
  • I saw vfp9 working fine on vista 64 (quad, 6gb ram) + xp 64 (dual boot).
    dni
    Tuesday, July 07, 2009 12:02 PM
  • Hi Alan,

It is best to ask this issue to Windows 7 Application Compatibility for better  helps about this issue.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproappcompat/threads

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 8:09 AM
  • I would try memlimit in config.fpw. During 2.x days I remember that error was caused by "too much memory" rather than too few. Solution was limiting the memory used by VFP using memlimit. I woud try:

MEMLIMIT=20,65536,3145728

As far as I know, with VFP MEMLIMIT is removed because VFP allocates the memory dynamically. That may have been a bad decision. 10 Gb on a 64 bits system, bt VFP is 32 bits and cannot address beyond 4 Gb. I don't have an idea if that might be the reason but thinking loud. I didn't have problem under win7 64 bits but my RAM was 4 Gb.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 2:15 PM
  • Thank you for your reply.

I have installed VFP 7.0 and it works fine.

Have pretty much given up on 9.0.

Do miss some of the features of 9.0 versus 7.0.

alan
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 11:28 AM
  • You may have TOO MUCH memory on this PC.  I remember a bug in earlier versions of Foxpro where it could not run on computers with large amounts of memory (could not handle the large number that represented free memory).  Perhaps this is an issue in VFP 9, I don't know.  Just a thought.
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 1:26 PM
  • Just a GUESS: 

The number to represent the amount of memory available to VFP9 was SO BIG that a 32-bit representation of the number became a NEGATIVE NUMBER (ask anyone who has labored with assembly languages) - that was why the Insufficient Memory message.
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 2:01 AM
  • You should install VFP9 SP2.
    Sunday, June 20, 2010 8:56 AM
  • Just set up a  Windows 7 64-bit.

My system is a Dell inspiron with 4 gb  RAM.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 7:51 PM