none
Global Keyboard Hooks (WinRT) C#

Question

• Hello, i try to find some information about setting global keyboard hooks via WinRT, but i can't to find any information.

Lots of people say - "you can't, because store apps is in sandbox and you can't have access", but i want to write desktop app.

Maby anyone do it allready or know something about it?

Sorry, not very good in english.

Monday, January 13, 2014 4:02 AM

Answers

• You need to be asking this in the appropriate forum. This forum is for Windows Store apps (NOT desktop apps), so no information in here is going to apply to desktop application development.

Start here:

Dev Center - Desktop

I'm a self-taught noob amateur. Please take this into account when responding to my posts or when taking advice from me.

• Marked as answer by Rareperson Tuesday, January 14, 2014 2:37 AM
    Monday, January 13, 2014 5:41 AM

All replies

• You need to be asking this in the appropriate forum. This forum is for Windows Store apps (NOT desktop apps), so no information in here is going to apply to desktop application development.

Start here:

Dev Center - Desktop

I'm a self-taught noob amateur. Please take this into account when responding to my posts or when taking advice from me.

• Marked as answer by Rareperson Tuesday, January 14, 2014 2:37 AM
    Monday, January 13, 2014 5:41 AM
  • It is not possible to write a correct global hook in C#. You would need to use native code (e.g. C++).

That said, you probably don't want a global hook. In most cases people try to use hooks they'd be much better off with hotkeys or raw input. Either of these can be used in managed code.

I'll move this to the desktop development forum for you.

--Rob

Monday, January 13, 2014 8:37 AM
  • Oh thanks a lot, my mistake.
    Tuesday, January 14, 2014 2:37 AM