Crystal for VS2010 redistributable or deployment

Question

• I've searched high and low.  SAP doesn't seem to care.  Is it really true there is no deployment package for our applications developed in VS2010.  Used to be you could include there mongo merge file or simply have your clients download and install the redistributable from the SAP web site.  I can't find such a solution as of yet.  Can we, as vs 2010 developers, package up the merge modules that came with vs2010 and distribute to our end -users?  Is there a downloadable redistributable package? 

Thanks for any help.

Greg Kowieski The World On-Line
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 7:20 PM

All replies

• I believe you need to use the CR2008 runtimes.
    • Proposed as answer by Light Feather Friday, May 14, 2010 1:56 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Greg Kowieski Friday, May 14, 2010 2:29 PM
    Friday, May 14, 2010 1:50 PM
  • I have the runtimes installed on the client machine.  Yet when I use an embedded report I get errors about the crystal runtime version 14.blahblah...  I wish it was that easy.
    Friday, May 14, 2010 2:30 PM
  • Hi,

Here is an article talking about "Deploying Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2010 Beta"

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/index?rid=/library/uuid/d085f103-ff2d-2d10-2f9e-ffb14d10ef33

Harry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 9:59 AM
  • yes, I have looked at this solution as well.  But my question is why the VS team would force in the crystal 14 libraries when you can't redistribute?  That doesn't make good business sense at all.  Thus I'm inclined to believe that there exists a better solution than converting your libraries back down to 2008.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 12:00 PM
  • Microsoft will never change!... I got stock into a presentation my crystal will not start in front of my clients, and there is no solution!

That only happens @ Microsoft!

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 7:11 PM
  • HI:

Here is the answer to your Problem.

I was able to use CR2010 Beta with VS2010 using the CR2008 Runtime Files

Hope it helps...

TheVBProgrammer
    Saturday, July 24, 2010 7:43 AM
  • Hi:

Try this solutions

Deploying CR2010 in VS2010 Using CR2008 Run time Files

TheVBProgrammer
    Saturday, July 24, 2010 7:48 AM
  • The runtime for 2010 beta now available. Its work!

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/20322

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 2:39 AM
  • Thank you!!!!!! It's been a long time waiting, (9 months?)
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 6:48 PM
  • Did it worked for you?

I Couldn't make it work, please tell me what you did!

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 9:17 PM
  • Just to clear this all up please see this SAP page for more info and do not use any of the Beta testing and deployment info you find referring to CR 2008 runtime:

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/crystalreports-dotnet

Bottom of the page you'll find all the downloads including Initial installer and deployment packages:

• Proposed as answer by SAPDon Tuesday, February 15, 2011 1:57 AM
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 6:24 PM
  • don't feel bad.  It didn't work and screwed up my system for deployment even worse.  I had to setup a new machine.  However, I have not tried what is mentioned below.

Honestly, I feel like us developers need to find another solution, the MS reporting tool is a joke and SAP appears to have problems keep up with the joneses.  Don't get me wrong, I love Crystal.  But, having my software dependent on a release a year after I'm forced to use the newer development modules really blows.

Saturday, February 12, 2011 11:35 PM
  • Hi Greg,

I completely understand your pains... Without making lots of excuses it was all due to timings, dead lines, product paths and the bottom line, the all mighty dollar.... Does SAP spend resources on paying products or free products....

In the long run it should work out for all developers and this is a feature complete product, only thing missing is the external designer, and it has 64 bit runtime with most of the same options/features. Limited by third party dependencies only for the time being until they create 64 bit runtime.

For help and updates go to SAP forums where you can get more info and full support.

http://forums.sdn.sap.com/forum.jspa?forumID=313

As well as the info links above for current updates.

Thank you for your patience and understanding....

Don

Don Williams
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 12:58 AM
  • I understand, its just that my clients don't.  I try to explain to them they can either live with what we have or they can go buy the designer for their workstations just to have the run-time modules.  That usually gets them to calm down.  Thanks for replying to the thread with the links.  I'll be able to work with them in the next month in depth.

Monday, February 14, 2011 3:45 PM
  • I keep getting this Error when publishing my application with clickonce even though I have Crystal Reports for VS2010 installed: I want the prerequisites to be downloaded from the same location as my app. Publishing fails with the following error.

The install location for prerequisites has not been set to 'component vendor's web site' and the file 'Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 4.0\CRRuntime_32bit_13_0.msi' in item 'SAP Crystal Reports Runtime Engine for .NET Framework 4.0' can not be located on disk.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 5:20 PM
  • @Ingamicro:

I Suggest you need to create a prerequisite installer using Boostrapper Manifest Generator, so that when you select a prerequisite component for CR2010 you need not to select the prerequisite generated by CR2010 installation.

I have found solution here:

http://www.sourcehints.com/articles/creating-crystal-report-bootstrapper-for-vs2010.html

Good Luck!

TheVBProgrammer
    Friday, February 25, 2011 4:15 AM
  • Hello Greg.

Even I have the same problem. Every time there is a new version of Crystal Reports, I need to upgrade all the reports in my applications and install the redistributable packages at the client machines. This also requires a lot of rework every time to take care of different versions of assemblies.

When I upgraded my project to VS2010 from VS2008, the reports were also upgraded to Crystal Reports for VS2010. I have installed the Crystal Reports Redistributable for Visual Studio 2010 on client machine downloaded from -

http://www.businessobjects.com/jump/xi/crvs2010/us2_default.asp

It worked for me.

I was just thinking if there is any way to bundle all the dependencies into the main application's executable file without having to install any such redistributable packages separately. If you know any such method, please let me know.

Thanks

Microsoft Student Partner

abhijitannaldas.blogspot.com

Thursday, March 03, 2011 4:44 PM
  • Hi Abhijit,

No, CR will not work managing the distribution yourself. Others have tried and failed. There are so many dependencies, registry keys and assemblies that have to be regasm'd and GAC'd it's impossible to manage them yourself.

Thank you

Don

Don Williams
    Thursday, March 03, 2011 6:46 PM