How to enable .rptproj support in 2010 RC? (report designer files)

Question

• Could someone please tell me how to open .rptproj projects in 2010RC?

I'm guessing I need to install the client tools somehow. I tried reinstalling SQL Server 2008 but this did not work.

The error given is: cannot be opened because its project type (.rptproj) is not supported by this version of the application .
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 11:09 PM

Answers

All replies

• Same problem here... Please help! :-)
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 3:49 PM
  • Hi,

Visual Studio 2010 does not support Business Intelligence projects from SQL Server 2008 R2 or earlier. In Visual Studio 2010, if you attempt to upgrade a project that is created in Business Intelligence Development Studio, the upgrade will not succeed. Business Intelligence Development Studio for Visual Studio 2010 is currently under consideration for future releases of SQL Server.
    excerpted from connect website.

For more inf , Please take a look at the thread:
    https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/532664/cannot-open-a-sql-reporting-services-rptproj-file?wa=wsignin1.0

Harry
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by Harry Zhu Friday, February 26, 2010 6:41 AM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 2:19 AM
  • Just read the URL you provided, the feature is still non-exist.

But anyone of you got any work-around methods?

Thanks.
    Monday, July 19, 2010 10:14 AM
  • I just finished upgrading our solution to VS2010, only to find that our two .rptproj Reporting Service Projects will not load.  These are SQL 2005 reporting projects.  I've read the link that Harry provided, but there is no solution given to the problem.

Please help ... we seriously want to move to VS2010 but cannot if it won't even open up a reporting project.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 12:27 PM
  • @wahoo,

well well, our current work around is don't load it in 2010, keep the rpt project in 2008, the 2010 project is still buildable without loading the rpt projects.

Thanks.
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 3:41 PM
  • I recently had to format my development box. Prior to the disaster, I had VS2010 pulling up a solution with a .rptproj Project as a part of it. I could edit the reports, and all was well. Now I can’t recall how I got my VS2010 installation to that point. I’m getting the “.. .rptproj is not supported by this version of the application” error and that part of the solution doesnt open. Hoping someone can help me.

Friday, November 09, 2012 5:36 PM
  • Hi,

Visual Studio 2010 does not support Business Intelligence projects from SQL Server 2008 R2 or earlier. In Visual Studio 2010, if you attempt to upgrade a project that is created in Business Intelligence Development Studio, the upgrade will not succeed. Business Intelligence Development Studio for Visual Studio 2010 is currently under consideration for future releases of SQL Server.
    excerpted from connect website.

For more inf , Please take a look at the thread:
    https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/532664/cannot-open-a-sql-reporting-services-rptproj-file?wa=wsignin1.0

Harry
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.

SO WHAT HAPPENED TO A CENTRALIZED IDE MICROSOFT? I thought we said goodbye to multiple IDE's with the retirement of Visual Studio 6 and the initial Visual Studio .NET RTM February 14th, 2002 ?

Are we going backwards now?

Once again Microsoft broke their own centralized paradigm of a single development IDE with Visual Studio 2010...

E.G.: You can no longer develop reporting services or business intelligence widgets within the Visual Studio 2010 IDE

you must use SQL Server 2008 BIDS (Business Intelligence Development Studio)...

What that means is the reporting services reports that were developed in “Visual Studio 2005”  and or Visual Studio 2008 can no longer be enhanced, maintained etc., from within Visual Studio 2010…

Please make a note of it... and be sure to let the folks at Microsoft know we are not happy about it...

Thursday, December 06, 2012 2:58 PM