none
Can't create SQL reporting service

Question

• Hi,

I can't seam to figure out how to create an Azure SQL reporting instance. I keep getting the error below in any hosting region...

Failed to create the SQL reporting service XYZ-QA in West US.
    • ErrorCould not submit an operation to create SQL Reporting service XYZ-QA in West US.

Any guidance would be very appreciated,

Thanks!

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 6:13 AM

Answers

• This issue is a global problem for all new Azure SQL Reporting users. By new I mean users who do not currently have any Azure SQL Reporting instances provisioned. This issue was investigated by Microsoft and during that investigation it was discovered that the reason why these subscriptions were unable to create new Azure SQL Reporting instances was because the upcoming retirement of the Azure SQL Reporting services took effect early for new users. Starting later today (11/4) with an Azure Management Portal update no new customers will be able provision new Azure SQL Reporting instances through the portal. However, you can contact product support (http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/support/options/) if you'd like your subscription to be added to a list of users that will be able to use the Azure SQL Reporting services until October 31st, 2014 as an existing user. At that time the Azure SQL Reporting services in all data regions will be shut down. After today there will be additional options to request access to Azure SQL Reporting beyond calling support which we will provide on this thread when the portal update goes live.

We wanted to make you aware of this ASAP even though the portal update disabling the feature for new users has not gone out yet so you can plan accordingly in your deployments as our recommendations are to look into migrating to on premise Reporting Services running on Windows Azure Virtual Machines (WAVMs). We will provide more information on WAVM migration strategy and corresponding documentation when the portal update goes live.

Thanks for your patience with us and I apologize for the poor timing of this given your recent interest in Azure SQL Reporting.

Thanks,
    Tim Plesuk
    Microsoft SQL Server BI Support

• Proposed as answer by michael.abdulakh Monday, November 04, 2013 9:56 PM
    • Edited by tplesuk Tuesday, November 05, 2013 3:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by CharlesVerdon Tuesday, November 05, 2013 8:23 PM
    Monday, November 04, 2013 4:37 PM

All replies

• Hi Charles,

Firstly, please ensure that your operation for create Reporting Services instance is correctly. Here is a document to describe the steps to create a SSRS instance, please see:
    Create a Reporting Service (Windows Azure SQL Reporting)

Then please note that only one service is allowed per region when creating service regions. Please make that the region that you selected had not been used to created reporting services.

Regards,
    Charlie Liao

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 8:58 AM
  • Have the same problem! Tried to create a service in different regions. Got the same error message.
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 5:29 PM
  • Hey Charlie,

I follow exactly these steps and it fails with that error regardless of the region.  I have one website and one SQL database deployed, but that's it.  I'm registered using my MSDN subscription obtained through BizSpark in case that makes a difference.

Do you know what the problem is?

Thursday, October 31, 2013 2:15 AM
  • I have the same issue while trying to use my MSDN credit.
    Thursday, October 31, 2013 12:34 PM
  • Seems to be a global problem, and there is no official information from Microsoft so far.

Since it's a feature in production we should get feedback soon.

Thursday, October 31, 2013 6:55 PM
  • Same issue, can't create a reporting service in any region.
    Friday, November 01, 2013 2:29 PM
  • Seems to be a global problem, and there is no official information from Microsoft so far.

Since it's a feature in production we should get feedback soon.

Is there any news regarding this issue?
    Monday, November 04, 2013 7:43 AM
  • I'm getting the same problem trying to create reporting services using my MSDN subscription.

Whatever I try I get "Could not submit an operation to create SQL Reporting service <service name> in <region>"

Has anyone heard anything from Microsoft on this yet?

Monday, November 04, 2013 10:07 AM
  • This issue is a global problem for all new Azure SQL Reporting users. By new I mean users who do not currently have any Azure SQL Reporting instances provisioned. This issue was investigated by Microsoft and during that investigation it was discovered that the reason why these subscriptions were unable to create new Azure SQL Reporting instances was because the upcoming retirement of the Azure SQL Reporting services took effect early for new users. Starting later today (11/4) with an Azure Management Portal update no new customers will be able provision new Azure SQL Reporting instances through the portal. However, you can contact product support (http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/support/options/) if you'd like your subscription to be added to a list of users that will be able to use the Azure SQL Reporting services until October 31st, 2014 as an existing user. At that time the Azure SQL Reporting services in all data regions will be shut down. After today there will be additional options to request access to Azure SQL Reporting beyond calling support which we will provide on this thread when the portal update goes live.

We wanted to make you aware of this ASAP even though the portal update disabling the feature for new users has not gone out yet so you can plan accordingly in your deployments as our recommendations are to look into migrating to on premise Reporting Services running on Windows Azure Virtual Machines (WAVMs). We will provide more information on WAVM migration strategy and corresponding documentation when the portal update goes live.

Thanks for your patience with us and I apologize for the poor timing of this given your recent interest in Azure SQL Reporting.

Thanks,
    Tim Plesuk

• Proposed as answer by michael.abdulakh Monday, November 04, 2013 9:56 PM
    • Edited by tplesuk Tuesday, November 05, 2013 3:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by CharlesVerdon Tuesday, November 05, 2013 8:23 PM
    Monday, November 04, 2013 4:37 PM
  • The Azure Management Portal update went live yesterday as planned so Azure users who did not have previously provisioned Azure SQL Reporting instances will no longer be able to create new instances via the portal.

We have provided a list of FAQs and information regarding the sunset of Azure SQL Reporting and the suggested migration to Reporting Services on Windows Azure Virtual Machines here: https://go.microsoft.com/fwLink/?LinkID=325013&clcid=0x409

In addition here are some additional useful links to assist with the migration to SSRS on WAVMs:

Create a Virtual Machine Running Windows Server

SQL Server in Windows Azure Virtual Machines

Provisioning a SQL Server Virtual Machine on Windows Azure

SQL Server Business Intelligence in Windows Azure Virtual Machines (RS Config Section)

Use PowerShell to Create a Windows Azure VM With a Native Mode Report Server

If you would like to be added to the list of existing users who can provision new Azure SQL Reporting instances until the services are retired on 10/31/2014 you can contact the azurereportingsunset@microsoft.com email alias or support (http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/support/options/) and provide your SubscriptionID.

Thanks,
    Tim Plesuk

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 3:17 PM