Windows cannot set up a homegroup on this computer.

Question

• I had a Homegroup set up on my Windows 7 pc with a Windows 7 wireless laptop. I have installed [on a separate HD] WDP 32 bit & WDP 64 bit on separate partitions on my pc. I can & have set up a Homegroup with WDP 32 bit and my laptop that works fine. But when I use Windows 7 again I get the message that "Windows cannot set up a Homegroup on this computer."
    Monday, October 03, 2011 9:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• Check on the following conditions that are required for Homegroups.

- A homegroup already exists on the network. If a homegroup already exists, you will be asked to join it.
    - Verify if IPv6 is enabled on your Windows 7. If IPv6 is disabled, HomeGroup will not be created.
    - You might not be connected to a network. To connect to a wireless network, follow these steps:
    - The Peer Networking Grouping and HomeGroup Provider‌ services must both be running.

1.       Click on Control Panel. Click Administrative Tools.

2.       Double-click Services. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3.       In the Status column, next to the Peer Networking Grouping and HomeGroup Provider services, you should see the word Started. If you don't see this, double‑click the name of the service, and then click Start.

Marilyn
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 5:17 PM
  • IPv6 is enabled.

A homegroup existed before installation of WDP and worked. After installation of WDP homegroup does not work with Windows 7. Although a homegroup with WDP 32 bit does.

Peer Network Grouping will not start and gives an error of "1068 the dependency service or group failed to start."

Homegroup Provider is started.

Also

Peer Networking Identity Manager is started.

But

Peer Name Resolution Protocol will not start and gives an error of "0x80630801:0x80630801."

Thursday, October 06, 2011 10:38 PM
  • Hey Davy-D,

Take a look at the answer provided in the thread linked below.
    "Peer Name Resolution Protocol" will not start?

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Sunday, October 09, 2011 1:07 AM
  • Steven,

Yes that restored my Windows 7 homegroup. Thank you. Can you confirm that these statements are true please?

1/ More than one homegroup can exist on a single network?

2/ A particular computer can be part of only one homegroup at a time?

3/ You can leave one homegroup and join another, but you can’t be a member of two homegroups at once?

This is because I had a homegroup with Windows 7 & I started a second homegroup with WDP 32 bit but I could not find my original Windows 7 homegroup. Did WDP 32 bit disable/delete it?

Regards,

Sunday, October 09, 2011 10:59 AM