none
How to make client-server application

Question

• Hi,
    well i wanna make a client-server application in which my device (intermec CN2 sires )  can send file to the PC(acts as server) I'm doing that to test if I can connect my device to a sql server to synchronize the database i don't wanna use RDA or SqlCE merge replication i just wanna send file to the server so that the sql server can update the data read from that file!!
    any help is appreciated

Monday, February 16, 2009 12:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• Assuming you are looking at transfering files between your device and PC, you can try using CECopy coming with Devloper power toys or use OpenNet CF Desktop communication library.

Regards,
    Navin Narayan
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 3:55 AM
  • well i didn't mean that i meant send the files using code (.net C#) as i'm trying to send a text file to a server so that the database stored on tat server uses that file to synchronize the data .... 
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 9:47 AM
  • Hi Michael,

In addition to Narayan's reply, for developing a client-sever application, we still have the choices below:

PC--->Device:  (send data from PC to Device)

1. Socket, PC can be a client side or server side
    2. MSMQ

Device--->PC:  (send data from Device to PC )

1. Socket
    2. Web Service
    3. WCF(only support vs2008, CF 3.5)
    4. HttpWebRequest
    5. MSMQ

Hopt it helpful to you.

For every of them, we can find a lot of sample in the forum.

Best regards,
    Guang-Ming Bian - MSFT

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 6:42 AM
  • Well first of all thanks alot for your replies
    I'm gonna tell you what i really want to do exactly as this is my first try of mobile applications development :
    1-I have an application on an intermec CN2 device running windows CE 4.2 that add/modify data stored in a DB and of course the user wants to synchronize that data with the back-end server i don't wanna to use RDA or Merge replication  so i wanna connect to the remote sql server installed on my development machine then apply updates directly  i'm using wireless LAN when i try to use the normal method of connecting  i got an exception the string is correct and i had already configured my sql server 2005 developer edition to accept remote connections but when i try to ping my machine from the intermec device i got request time  out i don't know why even though i got a connection between them and i'm connected to the internet on the device i can surf the internet easily and also when i try to ping the device from my machine it works fine and here is my ConnectionString
    <br>ConnectionString= @"Data Source=tcp:192.168.1.2,1433;Initial Catalog=GasDB;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=no"
    so any help would be great
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 11:53 AM
  • Please read my post about making client/server applications.

http://rsnichnetwork.blogspot.com/2012/05/good-solution-to-make-clientserver.html

• Edited by rsnich Monday, May 21, 2012 5:33 AM
    Monday, May 21, 2012 5:32 AM