none
WM 6.5.3, ROM CF3.5, CF2.0 Application and System.SR.dll

Question

• I have the application build against CF2.0.
    The idea is to have deployment as simple as possible: one cab (NO desktop installation, NO extra downloads).

To display system error messages, I extract System.SR.dll from NETCFv2.wm.armv4i.cab and place it in application's folder.

95% target devices are WM 6.x, CF2.0 is in ROM and everything works like a charm.

Now WM 6.5.3 (CF3.5 only in ROM) devices are on the market and I need to support them.

When application starts, it is hosted by CF3.5. To display system error messages, CF3.5 looks for System.SR.dll version 3.5.x.x and cannot find it because System.SR.dll version 2.0.7045.0 is placed in application's folder.

Any ideas how to keep deployment as simple as possible and solve System.SR.dll issue?

Notes:
    - I do not want to upgrade the application to CF3.5(WM6.x customers will need to install CF3.5).
    - I do not want to ask future WM 6.5.3 customers to install CF2.0.
    - I do not want to have 2 cab files: one for WM6.x and one for WM 6.5.3.

Thank you.
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 8:33 AM

Answers

• I would say you have to go with 3 separate CAB files:

- Your application.

- Message CAB for NETCF V2.

- Message CAB for NETCF V3.5.

Keep in mind you can't extract the DLL from the CAB and ship it in your own CAB as it's not a redistributable file (see %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\redist.txt for the list of files you can redistribute). I would suggest consulting your attorney on that issue and/or calling official Microsoft support for clarification.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by vv.iwork Friday, March 18, 2011 12:46 PM
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 5:29 PM

All replies

• I would say you have to go with 3 separate CAB files:

- Your application.

- Message CAB for NETCF V2.

- Message CAB for NETCF V3.5.

Keep in mind you can't extract the DLL from the CAB and ship it in your own CAB as it's not a redistributable file (see %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\redist.txt for the list of files you can redistribute). I would suggest consulting your attorney on that issue and/or calling official Microsoft support for clarification.

• Marked as answer by vv.iwork Friday, March 18, 2011 12:46 PM
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 5:29 PM
  • Fixing exception messages on the .NET Compact Framework 3.5

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/martijnh/archive/2008/01/03/fixing-exception-messages-on-the-net-compact-framework-3-5.aspx

What about this issue and proposed solution?

Thank you.

Friday, March 18, 2011 1:10 PM
  • I've seen this issue reported few times but I don't know what the root cause is or whatever or not it was confirmed to be a problem in NETCF. I've never run into it personally, installing CAB always worked for me.

It is also somewhat different scenario as there's no redistribution involved. In any case only attorney can provide definitive answer as to whatever legal consequences that might have.

Friday, March 18, 2011 4:12 PM