CA1709 - Two two-letter acronyms in a row

Question

• I have a class that reads the header of an executable to provide information. One piece of information is the image machine—I have an enumeration for the various CPUs for machines found in WinNT.h. One such machine, PowerPCFP, is firing the CA1709 - Identifiers should be cased correctly.

I am unsure of what the correct casing is here as it is my understanding that PC and FP are seperate acronyms.

I could either keep it the way it is and exclude the error or change it to Pcfp, rationalizing that the acronyms combine into a single acronym.

What is the correct way to case two two-letter acronyms in a row?

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 7:36 PM

Answers

• You can place a CustomDictionary.xml in the same folder as your .FxCop project file to modify the allowed spellings and acronyms, whichout having to make exceptions for all of the violations.

See C:\Program Files\Microsoft FxCop 1.36\CustomDictionary.xml for how to structure this file.  The one in the FxCop directory is the main custom dictionary used on the machine.  The CustomDictionary.xml that you place in the same folder as your .FxCop project overlays this dictionary.

Sunday, July 20, 2008 3:12 PM