none
Error: 'Must declare the scalar variable "@categoryID".'

Question

• Hello,

I'm creating a Data Access Layer in an ASP.NET 2.0 project in Visual Studio 2005 Professional.
    My database is SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition.

After I Added a parameterized method to the Data Access Layer via a SQL SELECT statement (SELECT ProductID, ProductName, SupplierID, CategoryID, QuantityPerUnit, UnitPrice, UnitsInStock,
    UnitsOnOrder, ReorderLevel, Discontinued FROM Products WHERE CategoryID = @CategoryID) I get the following error in the TableAdapter Query Configuration Wizard:

The wizzard detected the following problems when configuring TableAdapter query
    "Products":

Details:

Generated SELECT statement.

Deferred prepare could not be completed.
    Statement(s) could not be prepared.
    Must declare the scalar variable "@CategoryID".

To apply thes settings to your query, click Finish.

What I try to do, I get this error: 'Must declare the scalar variable "@categoryID".'

Can someone help me out?

Friendly greetings,
    Pieter

Monday, July 24, 2006 7:15 AM

Answers

• When constructing a parameterized query, use the parameter notation specific to the database you are coding against. For example, Access and OleDb data sources use the question mark '?' to denote parameters, so the WHERE clause would look like this:
    WHERE City = ?.

Monday, July 24, 2006 9:05 AM

All replies

• My termonology is a bit weak at the moment (24 hours and not slept!) - have you tried actually declaring the variable? I have not used the TableAdapter query configuration wizard so I apologise if this does not fit.

DECLARE @CategoryID int

SELECT........

Monday, July 24, 2006 7:34 AM
  • Yes, I tried that. But that doesn't work.

Monday, July 24, 2006 7:47 AM
  • yes, my apologese, I just tried it and does not work however if I do something similar (just different field selections) then it seems to work fine for me.

Are you able to guide is step by step on how you did all this?

Currently in my Table adapter wizard, I am in the table adapter wizard, and typing in my SQL statement:

SELECT username FROM myTable WHERE [ID] = @theID

and it seems to finish correctly with no errors

I've also tried with the northwind(?) database, no errors also

Are you able to create a new query and go through the table adapter wizard and see if it still reproduces this problem?

Monday, July 24, 2006 7:52 AM
  • I'm following the tuturial 'Working with Data in ASP.NET 2.0 :: Creating a Data Access Layer'. In step 3 (Adding Parameterized Methods to the Data Access Layer) I get the mentioned problem.

Friendly Greetings,
    Pieter

Monday, July 24, 2006 8:09 AM
  • When constructing a parameterized query, use the parameter notation specific to the database you are coding against. For example, Access and OleDb data sources use the question mark '?' to denote parameters, so the WHERE clause would look like this:
    WHERE City = ?.

Monday, July 24, 2006 9:05 AM
  • Hello, All.

I am asking for help for the similar problem. Here is my SQL statement in DAL adapter,

SELECT MachineID, MachineName, MachineDesc, Model, SerialNo, MfgDate, MfgName, MfgContact, MfgPhone, MfgFax, MfgEmail, MfgUrl, MfgAddress, LocationID, LastInspectDate, NextInspectDate, InspectInterval, Notes,
    (select locationName from Location where Location.LocationID=Machine.LocationID) as Location
    FROM dbo.Machine
    where NextInspectDate>=@fromDate and NextInspectDate<=@toDate
    order by MachineName

and I called from a GridView data source, which I defined as a ObjectDataSource. Both @fromDate and @toDate is bound to the calendar controls, respectively. And when I debug the page, I do see the fromDate and toDate are passed to the BLL layer, simply as below,

public SpareParts.MachineDataTable GetMachinesByInspectDue(DateTime fromDate, DateTime toDate)

{

return Adapter.GetMachinesByInspectDue(fromDate, toDate);

}

But I failed to get into the DAL Adapter.corresponding autogenerated function for it, which is the following,  before I get 'Must declare the scalar variable for @fromDate' error.

[System.Diagnostics.DebuggerNonUserCodeAttribute()]

[System.ComponentModel.Design.HelpKeywordAttribute("vs.data.TableAdapter")]

[System.ComponentModel.DataObjectMethodAttribute(System.ComponentModel.DataObjectMethodType.Select, false)]

public virtual SpareParts.MachineDataTable GetMachinesByInspectDue(System.Nullable<System.DateTime> NextInspectDate, System.Nullable<System.DateTime> NextInspectDate1) {

this.Adapter.SelectCommand = this.CommandCollection[1];

if ((NextInspectDate.HasValue == true)) {

this.Adapter.SelectCommand.Parameters[0].Value = ((System.DateTime)(NextInspectDate.Value));

}

else {

this.Adapter.SelectCommand.Parameters[0].Value = System.DBNull.Value;

}

if ((NextInspectDate1.HasValue == true)) {

this.Adapter.SelectCommand.Parameters[1].Value = ((System.DateTime)(NextInspectDate1.Value));

}

else {

this.Adapter.SelectCommand.Parameters[1].Value = System.DBNull.Value;

}

SpareParts.MachineDataTable dataTable = new SpareParts.MachineDataTable();

this.Adapter.Fill(dataTable);

return dataTable;

}

Who, with the experience in ASP.net data driven application, can help me out? I am new to the area. Thanks.

Amand

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 2:47 PM
  • Hello,

(sorry about my english!)

I had this same problem. What did i do?

My code:

dim str as string = " select .... from tablex where id = ? "

and define the parameter:

Dim cmd As New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand(str, Conexao)

cmd.Parameters.Add(New OleDbParameter("P1", 12345))

That's all!!!!!! It works!!!!

The secret is to link "?" with "P1".

Ok?

Thursday, November 08, 2007 6:56 PM
  • Hi,

I have similar problem. I need to use variable in my subselect. I'm using the following SQL expression in Crystal Reports.

When I used "declare @FromDate datetime" in my main select, it returned the same error, as there were no declare statement at all. But when I used it in my subselect it returned error "Incorrect syntax near the word declare".

SELECT wID, wName FROM Workers                          
    WHERE not exists

(declare @FromDate datetime

declare @ToDate     datetime

Select pWID From Presence where pWID = wID and pDate between @FromDate and @ToDate)

Can someone see what's wrong with that, please?

What do I want select to do: I want to printout the workers, who were not present in certain period.

• Proposed as answer by fgydf Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:43 AM
    Thursday, December 13, 2007 8:49 AM
  • but i tried the same! it was working first (visual studio net 2005 with asp2.0)

I did not need to declare any parameter(s) but everything goes fine and works. There is something doubt in wizard window. Becoz once i try to write code manually it crashes but by wizard design MSVS.NET covers something for use in codebehind , i suppose!

This means : unstability!!!

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 1:47 PM
  • I think this is Typed datasets designer bug. I found simple work arround.

If you have:

SELECT * from TableName where category = @categoryID

insert one more select field like this:

SELECT CategoryID+1 as 'Nothing', * FROM TableName where category = @categoryID

in such way you force Datasets designer to create code where @categoryID stands for integer value, not string.

• Proposed as answer by SergeMTL Wednesday, June 29, 2011 9:56 PM
    Tuesday, March 11, 2008 5:51 PM
  • I found that if I create a new data source and re define my query and fields and remember to go to the parameters tab and add the @parm   =  Parameters!parm1.value to that tab, then the issues goes away.

Saturday, July 19, 2008 3:41 AM
  • Please check your Parameter name

Thanks

SIM
    • Proposed as answer by gamalielvj Tuesday, December 22, 2009 8:58 PM
    Wednesday, April 01, 2009 3:14 AM
  • I think this is Typed datasets designer bug. I found simple work arround.

If you have:

SELECT * from TableName where category = @categoryID

insert one more select field like this:

SELECT @CategoryID+1 as 'Nothing', * FROM TableName where category = @categoryID

in such way you force Datasets designer to create code where @categoryID stands for integer value, not string.

yes, it seems exactly the reason: the wizard does not understand parameter use in CASE WHEN conditions for example if it was not mentioned within any SELECT before;

the work around is to either change the query so the parameter will be used within a SELECT or create fake additional fields in the main select where the parameter is added with corresponding type (as in the example above) before its actual use so designer's parser can "understand" the parameter and its type... Really annoying bug. And it's 2011, still not fixed.

UPDATE:

fixed SELECT statement in the quoted example above; @ was missing in front of the parameter name

in my actual query I had something like this:

SELECT * FROM table_name

WHERE

CASE WHERE @UserId = -1 THEN ... blah blah many different conditions and cases

so the designer did not recognize @UserId and gave that exact error message;

here is the fix I did:

SELECT @UserId + 1 as 'nothing1', * FROM table_name

WHERE

CASE WHERE @UserId = -1 THEN ... blah blah many different conditions and cases

and no error anymore and parameter type is detected as int32.

If the parameter you need is of other type, add corresponding type random value GETDATE() for datetime, "text" for string etc.

• Edited by SergeMTL Wednesday, June 29, 2011 10:16 PM more details
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 9:56 PM