none
Sql server 2008 management studio

Question

• Dear All,

Where i can buy the sql server management studio 2008 software not the express.

and kindly explain what is difference between sql server 2008 standard, enterprise and express.

Tuesday, September 02, 2014 10:25 AM

Answers

All replies

• Dear All,

Where i can buy the sql server management studio 2008 software not the express.

and kindly explain what is difference between sql server 2008 standard, enterprise and express.

You need to buy complete package to use SSMS (which is not express version). Since SSMS is free to use if you have valid SQL server 2008 installation package you can run the setup and just install SSMS. I dont think free/paid version of just SSMS 2008 is avaialble.

Regarding difference please check below link.On top there is other version you can change versions and see the diffrence

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/cc645993.aspx

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Articles

Tuesday, September 02, 2014 10:47 AM
  • My intention is to create one server and databases in the server, kindly advice which software i have to buy for this purpose.

Tuesday, September 02, 2014 11:12 AM
  • My intention is to create one server and databases in the server, kindly advice which software i have to buy for this purpose.

I cannot advise you because I dont know your requirement. I would say go for SQL server 2012 or 2014 because of lot of new features. Main starem support for SQL Server 2005/2008/2008 r2 is now over extended support is only present.

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Articles

Tuesday, September 02, 2014 11:48 AM
  • Previous post i replied that is only basic and simple requirement.

create one server and databases in the server. this is it. 

Tuesday, September 02, 2014 11:53 AM
  • Hi,

he asked what do you want to do with the SQL Server not where you plan to install it, since a SQL Server has a lot of features, Transparent Encryption, Data Warehouse tuff for example. You find some comparison charts here, these will help you to choose the best edition for your needs. You wrote you have only basic and simple requirements but don't want the express edition. So we think you have some requirements, you didn't tell us.

Regards

Sebastian

• Edited by Sebastian_HH Tuesday, September 02, 2014 12:23 PM
    Tuesday, September 02, 2014 12:21 PM
  • Previous post i replied that is only basic and simple requirement.

create one server and databases in the server. this is it. 

Then go with SQL Server 2014 Management studio express or SQL server 2012 Sp1 management studio express. You can manage 2008 database with these SSMS express editions.

In both links when you click download and go down on page you can see 'MgmtStudio 64BIT\SQLManagementStudio_x64_ENU.exe'

My Technet Articles

• Marked as answer by Banda.Avinash Thursday, September 04, 2014 6:15 AM
    • Edited by Shanky_621 Thursday, September 11, 2014 10:54 PM
    Tuesday, September 02, 2014 1:16 PM
  • create one server and databases in the server. this is it. 

The start with the free express Edition. If requirements get's increased over time, then you can purchase a Standard Edition and upgrade the existing SQL Server.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Tuesday, September 02, 2014 2:34 PM