Fbx File Format ?

Question

• is the fbx file format closed format

or do microsoft provide doc on the file format in the xna framework

link to article

that i have read

http://www.3d-test.com/interviews/collada_1.htm

why i am asking that is that we can adopt our own mesh format to xna framework

example:

our mesh format onlye ned one matrix for doing mesh animations

the is bone and joint in our mesh cunstructor but when you save the final format out to xml

there is one set of vertex data and one set of faces data

and the magic one matrix for bone and joint and animations of keyframe per frame

so if you have a mesh animation that runs 700 frame total you have to store

one set of vertex and faces and 700 deffecnt matrix in a array

then transfere to graphics card so it be process of to matrix one worldmatrix and one animation matrix

so all is done on hardware

so this is a verry fast format

we can rig 4500 tiny,x with animations played in 25 frames a second

on a 7800 geforce graphics card

and a 2.0ghz athlon

1 gb of ram

is there support for our own mesh format in the xna framework or a better do you alow us to transfere our

mesh files of .xml and load them from the xbox360

best regards

michael hansen

3d evolution

Sunday, October 22, 2006 11:04 PM

Answers

All replies

• I'm not sure. It would be nice if the XNA team could make the content management system extensible via the provider/strategy design pattern, thus allowing us developers to roll our own file formats and plug-in our own file importers/exporters.
    Monday, October 23, 2006 5:18 AM
  • The content pipeline will allow you to write importers that will handle whatever content you want. See http://blogs.msdn.com/xna/archive/2006/08/29/730168.aspx
    Monday, October 23, 2006 6:30 AM
  • Thanks!
    Monday, October 23, 2006 6:53 AM
  • The Fbx asset interchange file format is not Microsoft specific. See this Autodesk site for more information, the SDK and plugins for major DCC applications.

Cheers,
    Leaf.
    Monday, October 23, 2006 3:16 PM
  • tanks zman

so i understand that the xnb is the final out put format is there any doc on that format

Monday, October 23, 2006 4:17 PM
  • Nothing is currently published.
    Monday, October 23, 2006 5:40 PM
  • Just thought I would quickly jump in at one of the questions from Michael about the .xnb file format.

It's not a published file format but you fully define what that .xnb is. When you write a processor that's a new custom type you also extend on our loaders and savers for the files. At build time we use that information and the class that your processor generates to create an .xnb file. So it can contain any type of data you want. When you load it back in you tell the ContentManager what class to expect from that file...

I also want to point out you can also create your own mesh format without using your own custom file format. You could still use .FBX files and our importer will move that data to our content DOM. From there you could read any type of data you want from the content DOM and generate a class of your choosing with the data.

Thanks
    Michael

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 2:07 AM