Windows 8 Metro style icon size

Question

• What is the dimension of the Windows 8 metro style icons? The old icons for this done look very good in this view. We need to create a new icon (square, rectangle) for metro style. But there I am not sure what are the dimensions for it.
    Tuesday, December 06, 2011 4:34 PM

Answers

• Hi Shrads,

Sorry I should have been clearer.  You cannot change the size for the small tile either.  Desktop applications cannot affect or change the tile.  The system will take the existing Icon and display it as you see it.  What you see is what you get today for this and you cannot change this.  You will notice when you install a Desktop application or install it, the icon will always be that smaller icon.  The proportions of that icon will always be the same for all Desktop applications.  No announcement has been made as to if that will be configurable for Desktop applications or not.

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Wednesday, December 07, 2011 9:28 PM
  • For a desktop app's icon include the full set of sizes (16x16, 32x32, 48x48, and 256x256) and Windows will choose the most appropriate version.  If the right size isn't available then Windows will try to scale a larger one down.  If you include only small sizes and Windows has to scale it up then it will end up blurry.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa511280.aspx#size

Wednesday, December 07, 2011 9:46 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Hello Shraddhakhaire,

This thread was created in the Windows Developer Preview: General OS questions; the Microsoft Moderation team has moved it to the UI design for Metro Style Apps forum.

Thanks,
    Marilyn
    Tuesday, December 06, 2011 6:37 PM
  • Hi Sharad,

Simply open the application manifest for your app by double clicking on the manifest in Visual Studio.  Each of the sizes are listed by the icons there.

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Tuesday, December 06, 2011 6:56 PM
  • Hi jpsanders,

Thank you Marilyn. I was not sure what category this question should go to.

I am sorry, let me rephrase my question. What size is are the tiles on Windows 8 Metro view? I would appreciate if you could give me the dimensions for both small(square) and big(rectangle) sizes of the tiles?

-Shrads

Wednesday, December 07, 2011 6:41 PM
  • Hi Shrads,

The tiles will scale depending on the pixel density of the display.  Why do you need this information?  It would help to know what are you trying to accomplish.

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Wednesday, December 07, 2011 7:45 PM
  • Hi Jeff,

I am trying to create a new attractive looking tile for Metro style menu for our product. The current icon(regular icon image used for the previous versions of Windows) appears in the left corner of the tile. We want to make a tile(If I may call it that) for my application so that to match with the changing UI of Windows 8. 

For previous versions of Windows there was a specified Icon dimensions that were specified (e.g. 48X48, etc). Is there a standard tile size that Microsoft recommends for Metro View?

I hope I am making my self clear. Let me know if you need more information.

-Shrads

Wednesday, December 07, 2011 8:42 PM
  • Hi Shrads,

Desktop applications cannot have the full tile or a larger Icon in the Start Menu.

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Wednesday, December 07, 2011 8:54 PM
  • Hi Jeff,

Thank you for the information.

So what is the dimension of the small tile in the start menu?

Shrads

Wednesday, December 07, 2011 9:23 PM
  • Hi Shrads,

Sorry I should have been clearer.  You cannot change the size for the small tile either.  Desktop applications cannot affect or change the tile.  The system will take the existing Icon and display it as you see it.  What you see is what you get today for this and you cannot change this.  You will notice when you install a Desktop application or install it, the icon will always be that smaller icon.  The proportions of that icon will always be the same for all Desktop applications.  No announcement has been made as to if that will be configurable for Desktop applications or not.

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Wednesday, December 07, 2011 9:28 PM
  • For a desktop app's icon include the full set of sizes (16x16, 32x32, 48x48, and 256x256) and Windows will choose the most appropriate version.  If the right size isn't available then Windows will try to scale a larger one down.  If you include only small sizes and Windows has to scale it up then it will end up blurry.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa511280.aspx#size

Wednesday, December 07, 2011 9:46 PM
    Owner
  • Thank for the response Jeff.

I was under the impression that this tile was customizable for Desktop application. It would have been nice to have that as a programmable feature. 

-Shrads

Wednesday, December 07, 2011 10:27 PM
  • Sorry Shrads,

That is why I was originally confused by your question... I did not realize at first you were asking about this for Desktop apps, and it is not supported.  I do understand however why you would want to do this.  Enjoy Windows 8 and thanks for the feedback!

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Thursday, December 08, 2011 1:22 PM
  • I am totally with you the tiles for desktop apps should be customizable
    • Edited by brain8891 Monday, June 04, 2012 4:48 AM
    Monday, June 04, 2012 4:47 AM