Can no longer access "Builds" pane in Team Explorer after installing RC

Question

• Good morning!

I've just reinstalled VS 2012 Ultimate RC to try and fix an issue I'm having with TFS 2012 RC and Team Explorer. Unfortunately, it didn't work, so I'm submitting the issue here. What happened is that after upgrading to the RC, I can no longer access the "Builds" pane from Visual Studio for any of my projects. I receive the following error:

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Common.TfsBackgroundWorkerManager' from assembly 'Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Common, Version=11.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'.

at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Build.Controls.BuildsPageViewModel..ctor()
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Build.Controls.BuildsPage.CreateViewModel(PageInitializeEventArgs e)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Controls.WPF.TeamExplorer.TeamExplorerPageBase.Initialize(Object sender, PageInitializeEventArgs e)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TeamFoundation.Build.BuildsPageVs.Initialize(Object sender, PageInitializeEventArgs e)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Controls.WPF.TeamExplorer.Framework.TeamExplorerPageHost.Initialize(TeamExplorerPageContext context)

All other panes work just fine--just the Build pane is throwing this error. The Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Common DLL (version 11.0.50522.1) is in the GAC and ready to go. Any ideas?

Sunday, June 03, 2012 2:57 AM

Answers

• Hi !

The error you get seems to be caused by a missing registration, and a repair won't fix it.   You fix this by using gacutil on the missing assembly

I have posted up a blogpost with this issue and others here:  http://geekswithblogs.net/terje/archive/2012/06/05/fixing-some-visual-studio-rc-install-issues.aspx

In your case:

To solve this do as follows:

1. Open a command prompt as administrator

2. Go to your program files directory for VS 2012 and down to 
    the extension folder like:   C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
    11.0\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\TeamFoundation\Team Explorer

3. Run:    gacutil –if Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Build.Controls.dll

After you have done this, the build pane should work again. Check the activity log if other issues are unresolved (see my blog post for how to do that). I noticed the repair seemed to introduce new issues. So just check before you play :-)

best regards

Terje Sandstrom [MVP]

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 10:29 AM
  • Thanks!

This is yet another one of missing assembly registrations:

Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies

Run gacutil /if Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Build.Workflow.dll

(or gacutil /i Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Build.Workflow.dll  /f   if the above doesn't work)

Terje Sandstrom [MVP]

• Proposed as answer by Urs Meili Tuesday, June 05, 2012 3:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by JosephAYoung Wednesday, June 06, 2012 12:19 PM
    Tuesday, June 05, 2012 2:58 PM
  • I confirmed that after uninstalling TFS 11 Beta, the Build page in VS RC works without issues.

Yes, the TFS client components are included in VS.  So this is only an issue when you have both VS client and TFS server installed on the same machine and only update VS from Beta to RC.  JosephAYoung, can you let me know what steps you followed to move from Beta to RC?  You should not receive any warnings during the RC install.  Did you manually uninstall any other items in the Programs list?  Do you have TFS 11 Beta installed on that machine?

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 7:06 PM

All replies

• Can you outline the steps you took to upgrade to RC on that machine?  Do you have any VS or TFS Beta software still installed?
    Monday, June 04, 2012 1:52 PM
  • I only ran the installer for the RC to perform an in-place upgrade of the Beta. When I discovered that the Builds pane was acting up, I ran the "Repair" option of the installer, which seemed to reinstall everything all over again. I don't have any VS or TFS Beta software installed anymore. The only holdover I have is TFS Power Tools for VS11 Beta, which, according to their site, is automatically compatible with RC. 

I can still access the Builds section in VS10, which makes it seem like an issue with the VS 2012 RC install. Maybe I'll try a complete uninstall and clean install of the RC when I have some time.

Thanks!

Joseph A. Young

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 1:36 AM
  • Hi !

The error you get seems to be caused by a missing registration, and a repair won't fix it.   You fix this by using gacutil on the missing assembly

I have posted up a blogpost with this issue and others here:  http://geekswithblogs.net/terje/archive/2012/06/05/fixing-some-visual-studio-rc-install-issues.aspx

In your case:

To solve this do as follows:

1. Open a command prompt as administrator

2. Go to your program files directory for VS 2012 and down to 
    the extension folder like:   C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
    11.0\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\TeamFoundation\Team Explorer

3. Run:    gacutil –if Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Build.Controls.dll

After you have done this, the build pane should work again. Check the activity log if other issues are unresolved (see my blog post for how to do that). I noticed the repair seemed to introduce new issues. So just check before you play :-)

best regards

Terje Sandstrom [MVP]

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 10:29 AM
  • Hi Terje,

Except that i needed to use gacutil /i it was very helpful

Old command syntax:
                  /if <assembly_path>
                          equivalent to /i <assembly_path> /f

Thanks

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 2:20 PM
  • Hi Terje,

this does work, and the Build pane is visible again. However, when I choose Edit Build Definition ==> Process, I get the following error

---------------------------
    Microsoft Visual Studio
    Team Foundation Error

Method not found: 'System.String Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Build.Workflow.ProcessParameterError.get_ParameterValue()'.
    OK  

after clicking OK, the "build process parameters" stays empty.

I'm using Visual Studio 2012 RC + TFS 2010.

This used to work fine with VS 11 Beta.

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 2:35 PM
  • Hi !

Very interesting:   The point of the 'f' is to force it to reinstall.  Afaik see this is still there in version for FW 4.5. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ex0ss12c(v=vs.110).aspx   And the information here says it is still a valid syntax. 

Where did you find the information that it was "old" syntax ?

Did it not work with /if ?     

Did it work with only /i  or did you need to do a /i <assembly> /f  ?

Terje Sandstrom [MVP]

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 2:38 PM
  • Thanks!

This is yet another one of missing assembly registrations:

Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies

Run gacutil /if Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Build.Workflow.dll

(or gacutil /i Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Build.Workflow.dll  /f   if the above doesn't work)

Terje Sandstrom [MVP]

• Proposed as answer by Urs Meili Tuesday, June 05, 2012 3:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by JosephAYoung Wednesday, June 06, 2012 12:19 PM
    Tuesday, June 05, 2012 2:58 PM
  • works now, thanks :-)
    Tuesday, June 05, 2012 3:13 PM
  • Thanks, Terje.  I have a bug filed to make sure these are all fixed for RTM and will be investigating further.  If I find any others, I'll publish them here.
    Tuesday, June 05, 2012 3:26 PM
  • Make sure that when you upgrade from Beta to RC for VS, you also upgrade TFS and any other Dev11 SKU installed on that machine.  There are dependencies, like .NET 4.5 and the TFS object model, which are shared between them.

In most cases, the upgrade path for TFS is to uninstall Beta, install RC, and run through the upgrade config wizard.

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 9:20 PM
  • The TFS client stuff should come by default in the VS install, right? There shouldn't be a need to install anything TFS-specific on the clients. I did have warnings each time I attempted to install the VS RC that the TFS Object Model was not installed, so that was probably pointing to the missing DLL registrations that I saw. 
    Wednesday, June 06, 2012 12:31 PM
  • I confirmed that after uninstalling TFS 11 Beta, the Build page in VS RC works without issues.

Yes, the TFS client components are included in VS.  So this is only an issue when you have both VS client and TFS server installed on the same machine and only update VS from Beta to RC.  JosephAYoung, can you let me know what steps you followed to move from Beta to RC?  You should not receive any warnings during the RC install.  Did you manually uninstall any other items in the Programs list?  Do you have TFS 11 Beta installed on that machine?

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 7:06 PM
  • Bingo! That was it. I had forgotten that I installed TFS 11 Beta on that machine a long time ago for evaluation. You're a wizard!

Thursday, June 07, 2012 1:03 PM