none
Spooler error 1068

Question

• I have been all over hell and high water trying to find some way to fix this error, but alas, my efforts have been fruitless; so here I am.

The Situation:

After moving about a week ago, I just got around to re-attaching my printer (a Lexmark X1185).  I then discovered that my computer (Windows XP sp2) apparently deleted my printer drivers all by itself, so now I cannot use the printer.

I downloaded the driver and tried to install it, but as soon as the WinZip extractor starts the installation program, it spits out this error message:
    Setup has determined that the spooler service is stopped. In order to continue installation, it must be started.  Do you want the spooler service started now?  Choose 'Yes' to start the service and continue the installation or choose 'No' to exit the installation.

Well phoey.  This throws a wrench in my plans.  I choose 'Yes' and wait.  And wait... And wait...
    Nothing happens.

I try to install the driver again, and get the same error.

I try to start the spooler by going to Run and entering spoolsv.exe, but this also does nothing.

So I go to my Administrator Services in the Control Panel, open up Services, and try to start the Print Spooler, but I get this error:
    Could not start the Print Spooler service on Local Computer.
    Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

I soon find myself cursing Windows Help for being utterly useless for answering any question more intelligent than "how do I pick my nose?"

Then I do some research online through wonderous Google, and discover that the spooler service is attached to the Remote Procedure Call, which I had disabled.

So I go back to my Administrator Services in the Control Panel, open up Services, and turn on the stupid RPC. 

I then try to activate the Print Spooler again through the same menu, which should fix it, and lo and behold, I get the same error:
    Could not start the Print Spooler service on Local Computer.
    Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

And I was told this solution was supposed to FIX  the problem!
    (I start to get frustrated.  I need my printer working ASAP!)

I do more research, but everybody says this solution works.  Obviously, it DOESN'T!

I find a hint to try entering sc confing spooler depend= RPCSS in the Run command, which should disconnect the spooler from the troublesome group it wants to be part of.  This results in a DOS window, displaying some techno-babble, and gives me a choice of seeing some help or not.  I choose 'n' for no, and the DOS box dies.  I try again, choosing "y" this time, and the DOS box still dies.

Obviously, this hint was bogus.

So here I am.  Quite frustrated, if I do say so.
    Anybody have another solution?
    • Moved by Max Wang_Chinasoft Tuesday, April 26, 2011 1:46 AM forum consolidation (From:Windows Error Reporting for ISVs)
    Friday, August 31, 2007 2:02 AM

Answers

• I had this same error in relation to a print spooler, and am delighted to say I can now tell you what the problem is.  First a bit of context.  Your computer is not only running the programmes that you know about, but a whole lot of other things called Services.  There might be 30 - 50 of these on a typical PC.  You can see what is running if you open Task Manager (do ctl-alt-delete and select task manager).

The error message is not about the print spooler in particular, but about a service problem, which in your case and mine happened to be a print spooler.  In order for this to run, some other service already had to be running (a dependency), and this was the problem.  So the challengs is to find out what this is.  You need to go into the Service Manager.

Go to My Computer and Right Click.  There will be some options there.  If you can't see Service Manager directly, try "services and applications" or other things, and somewhere in there should be service manager.  Click on this to start it, and you will see a long list of perhaps 60 services in alphabetical order.  Go down to Print Spooler and you will see that it is either manual or automatic start (normally automatic), and there should be a status that says started.  If it is not (which is the problem you are having) you try to start it, manual mode if necessary, and will presumably get this error message.

To find out where the dependency is, double click or right click on the print spooler service to open a window with more information about it.  One of the tabs in here is Dependencies.  Have a look in there.  Look at each of the items listed in turn, and see what service manager says about it.  In my case, it was an IBM Lex service that had not started.  Go to this and try to start it, and then set it to automatic for normal use.  Once this has started, you should find that the print spooler will also start, and you should then be able to install the troublesome printer.

In my case, once I started the services, the printer was there and ready straight away without any further installation.

Good luck - it worked for me and may for you!.. I agree - the Microsoft error message is quite correct but most uninformative.  If you do not understand what services and dependencies are, you don't have a clue where to look.

Friday, October 19, 2007 2:56 PM
  • It seems as though you have a few issues going on, and I don't think you will find relief in this forum since the focus here is on Windows Error reporting for ISVs (working with crash and hang data through http://winqual.microsoft.com).

Here are my thoughts...

1.  Drivers don't uninstall themselves.  If you didn't, then someone did; either in person or programatically  Since you suggest that this happened after a move, youy may want to run some disk utilities and make sure that your disk is healthy.  Perhaps you are losing data due to a failing drive and youa re lucky to be able to boot.

2.  Since you found the driver for your purchased product (I am assuming from the vendor), you may want to engage with thier support.  You may find (either on their forums or in talking to a support professional for the product) that your issue is well understood and a solution exists for you.

Kind Regards,

-Jason

Thursday, September 06, 2007 4:01 PM
  • > I find a hint to try entering sc confing spooler depend= RPCSS

I'm assuming this is just a typo in your posting, and that on your system you actually entered the correct syntax (sc config spooler depend= RPCSS).

By the way, I just googled for this line, and the first hit I get is a discussion from June 2006 on spooler service problems in conjunction with Lexmark drivers: http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=76449

The Microsoft Knowledge Base article at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324757 may be related, and the discussion at http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinNT/Q_20794731.html looks interesting as well. But then, what do I know

Good luck,

Claus

http://www.clausbrod.de/Blog

Saturday, September 08, 2007 6:17 PM

All replies

• It seems as though you have a few issues going on, and I don't think you will find relief in this forum since the focus here is on Windows Error reporting for ISVs (working with crash and hang data through http://winqual.microsoft.com).

Here are my thoughts...

1.  Drivers don't uninstall themselves.  If you didn't, then someone did; either in person or programatically  Since you suggest that this happened after a move, youy may want to run some disk utilities and make sure that your disk is healthy.  Perhaps you are losing data due to a failing drive and youa re lucky to be able to boot.

2.  Since you found the driver for your purchased product (I am assuming from the vendor), you may want to engage with thier support.  You may find (either on their forums or in talking to a support professional for the product) that your issue is well understood and a solution exists for you.

Kind Regards,

-Jason

Thursday, September 06, 2007 4:01 PM
  • > I find a hint to try entering sc confing spooler depend= RPCSS

I'm assuming this is just a typo in your posting, and that on your system you actually entered the correct syntax (sc config spooler depend= RPCSS).

By the way, I just googled for this line, and the first hit I get is a discussion from June 2006 on spooler service problems in conjunction with Lexmark drivers: http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=76449

The Microsoft Knowledge Base article at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324757 may be related, and the discussion at http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinNT/Q_20794731.html looks interesting as well. But then, what do I know

Good luck,

Claus

http://www.clausbrod.de/Blog

Saturday, September 08, 2007 6:17 PM
  • Hi terminator,

I am having the EXACT same issue!!!!! After I recently moved, my print driver has been deleted and I am getting the same error message. Just wondering if you found a solution??

Thanks in advance

Dawn

Saturday, October 06, 2007 8:51 PM
  • I have the same error.  In my case, the machine had a virus and as McAfee wouldn't fix it, I loaded Spyware Doctor, which seemed to work fine.  However, I find that my printer has stopped working.  In trying to reinstall it, I am getting a message that the print spooler is not running, and when I look at services manager, I see that it is set to automatic, but there is a button to start it.  When I try to start it, I get error 1068.

Somewhere in the chain of services, something is broken, but I cannot begin to work out where to look from the information available.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 10:16 AM
  • I had this same error in relation to a print spooler, and am delighted to say I can now tell you what the problem is.  First a bit of context.  Your computer is not only running the programmes that you know about, but a whole lot of other things called Services.  There might be 30 - 50 of these on a typical PC.  You can see what is running if you open Task Manager (do ctl-alt-delete and select task manager).

The error message is not about the print spooler in particular, but about a service problem, which in your case and mine happened to be a print spooler.  In order for this to run, some other service already had to be running (a dependency), and this was the problem.  So the challengs is to find out what this is.  You need to go into the Service Manager.

Go to My Computer and Right Click.  There will be some options there.  If you can't see Service Manager directly, try "services and applications" or other things, and somewhere in there should be service manager.  Click on this to start it, and you will see a long list of perhaps 60 services in alphabetical order.  Go down to Print Spooler and you will see that it is either manual or automatic start (normally automatic), and there should be a status that says started.  If it is not (which is the problem you are having) you try to start it, manual mode if necessary, and will presumably get this error message.

To find out where the dependency is, double click or right click on the print spooler service to open a window with more information about it.  One of the tabs in here is Dependencies.  Have a look in there.  Look at each of the items listed in turn, and see what service manager says about it.  In my case, it was an IBM Lex service that had not started.  Go to this and try to start it, and then set it to automatic for normal use.  Once this has started, you should find that the print spooler will also start, and you should then be able to install the troublesome printer.

In my case, once I started the services, the printer was there and ready straight away without any further installation.

Good luck - it worked for me and may for you!.. I agree - the Microsoft error message is quite correct but most uninformative.  If you do not understand what services and dependencies are, you don't have a clue where to look.

Friday, October 19, 2007 2:56 PM
  • Oh my gosh!!! Thank you Thank you Thank you. You have saved my sanity and possibly my laptop. I was about in tears frusterated with this issue and you hit it right on head. Thanks so much for your post!

Sunday, October 21, 2007 10:14 PM
  • Thank a mill, that fixed it, very clear instructiions

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 9:10 AM
  •  

i love you phil!!!! thank you so much!!!!!
    Thursday, October 25, 2007 6:05 PM
  • Okay folks.

There are a few different things that can cause this problem to occur in XP.

One that is common is that the system32 command in msconfig for the spooler has been disabled inadvertently, but is easy to fix.

Go to START, RUN, type in MSCONFIG, and go to the "Startup Tab" in the system configuration utility dialog, and look for startup items that are unchecked that have a description that includes spool\drivers, and turn it on.

When you reboot, fill in the box for "do not appear again" and check your printers. There is a reasonable chance that this will bring your spooler back online to automatically start.

If you do this and it doesn't work, leave me another note and I will try to help you through your particular problem.

Regards,

Jim 

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 12:36 AM
  • Hi Phil

I have tried all of the above with no help. Where do you find the dependencies and how do you install them? My dependencies tab is blank in both.

Friday, November 16, 2007 3:56 AM
  • sup terminator sorry if post comes to late but try this it worked for me, go to your system configuration utility (start, run, type "msconfig", click "ok", click "services" tab, find "LexBce Server" and check box, click "apply" then "ok", restart computer and see if you get your printer spooler back.  Hope this helps

Sunday, December 02, 2007 6:48 PM
  •  

Thank you, kind sir.  I was about to kill a Geek Squad employee who thought he was being helpful by decreasing the number of processes running at start-up.  You have saved a life today!  Thanks, again.
    Friday, December 07, 2007 2:47 AM
  • I find a hint to try entering sc confing spooler depend= RPCSS in the Run command

This actually does work!  I did this and I now have a WORKING PRINTER!!!! 

After many days of frustration, I finally got it to work!  I may become a puter geek after all Smile))
    Friday, December 07, 2007 6:27 AM
  • or sit there and beat it to death, like i'm about to do to my printer. It says not communicating with computer. I didn't know it was suppose to talk. And yes I have a Lexmark1300 and right now I am not happy with it. It has a brand new USB plug,and I have done everything to it except throw it out with the trash.

Friday, December 14, 2007 6:24 AM
  • i have tried everything posted here and more and can not get my printer to work. i even bought a new printer today. i have been on line with hp live and spoke with the geek squad and still no luck...help. frustrated mom. my son has a project to print

Monday, December 17, 2007 1:44 AM
  • I have also tried everything on here.. on the net.. and every other place I could look.. I do not have "LexBce" in any of the places listed here.. I did a search of the computer.. and nothing.. ??? I am out of ideas??

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 5:07 AM
  • Greetings,

as a reminder to everyone, this forum is primarily dedicated to addressing questions and issues for Software Vendors working with the Windows Error Reporting program at Microsoft. 

We are quite pleased that everyone has been able to find some useful and interesting ideas from this thread, once you get past the suggestions here, our recommendation would be to contact your printer manufacturer directly to report the issue, and to see if they have released newer drivers that perhaps address this issue.

Thanks for your help and your patience.

b

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 10:17 PM
  • DOOOOOOD!!!!  You freakin rock!!!  I was getting ready to have my second stroke!!  blood pressure was 180/95 and i was getting dizzy.  chest pain radiating into my left arm.  then i read your post just before i started blacking out from the lack of oxygen to my brain.  I stumbled back to the desk and with my final ounce of energy and desperation i did what you suggested.  Holy *** it worked.  the heavens opened wide and a chorus of 10,000 angels heralded the second coming!  Computer salvation at last.

i hate this stupid ma-frickin-chine.  i hope it rots on the bottom of the sea covered in whale ***.

Hey!  God bless and happy Easter!

Rich

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 2:06 AM
  • Rich,

Dude.  Decaf.

Smile

b

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 3:45 PM
  • same problems as above, but when i attempt to restart lexbce server, i get error 2: system cannot find the file specified. think i know what happened, but not how to fix it. have restarted the varioius dependencies to no avail.

installed a new security software some time back, and kept getting a msg that lex server was trying to access the net. no biggie, but annoying. my dell did come with a lexmark printer that i never used much, recently got a new one, an hp, that worked fine...until recently when i tried a trial version of a registry cleaner, it identified, among other things, this lexmark program as some type of problem and i deleted the program (could have been lexbc, i thought i had already uninstalled the lexmark software but i guess not). i can't find the old lexmark disc to reinstall, any ideas how to get this back and get my hp printer back up and running?

this is way annoying, but i feel i'm getting closer and closer to a fix. any ideas on where to find this program the doesn't involve more complicated things that may be beyond my skill level. (i know better to mess with regedit or config unless i know completely what i'm doing, and some of the fixes mentioned above don't give me a clear idea). thanks in advance.

Monday, March 17, 2008 1:31 AM
  • Thanks for the thorough resolution.  Worked like a charm! 

Friday, March 21, 2008 2:45 PM
  •  

Phil62- may your God grant you your fondest wishes - may your path be strewn with rose petals and may all your questions be answered as well as you have answered mine --- THANK YOU
    Monday, May 19, 2008 12:53 PM
  • Phil,

This worked great! Your wording is perfect. Easy to follow the instructions.

Thank you!

Turtle

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 5:29 PM
  • Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!  This worked great. You are my hero.
    Thursday, May 29, 2008 10:56 PM
  • Phil- Thank you so much! You are an angel in my book! I have had all kinds of problems with the Dell computer I use in my office starting with an operating system crash back in December. Between me and another person, we finally got it back up to operating level this week, but my printers were the only thing still not working. Thank you so very much for posting the step by step instructions I needed to get my computer completely operational. You do not know how much I appreciate having my sanity return!!!!! Thank you again.... and again! And God bless you, my friend!

Friday, June 27, 2008 3:08 PM
  • Thank you it works
    Wednesday, September 03, 2008 8:33 AM
  • Thank you Phil! I have not been able to use my printer with my computer for so long.  I was able to start the print spooler after i started this other service, but i never would have thought to do that if I had not read your posting.  Now i need to figure out how to install my printer, i think i may have deleted in an attempt to delete and then reinstall it at a later point.  I cant find my CD-rom and it's not plug and play....i went to the lexmark website and they dont even have my printer on there anymore, i guess it must be old.  I have a Lexmark 3100 series, any ideas about how i can re-install my printer?  I tried the Printer Wizard but I need my CD...

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 5:32 AM
  • I know this mesage is from awhile ago but I'm having this issue with my Verizon USB Modem...just started! First it tells me that I have an error 711 which is a connection problem and when I go into services to turn on everything I'm supposed to they won't start even though I go through all the dependencies and make sure THEY are turned on.

Ive done 3 system restores that have failed. Verizon tells me the error code is a Microsoft problem and not theirs so...too bad.
    I've made sure telephony and plug n play are turned on and all their dependencie but can NOT get the Remote Connections to start.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
    Monday, September 22, 2008 7:34 AM
  • hey terminator ive been having the same problem as you and im wonderin if u already fixed the problem and if you did can u tell me how please
    Thursday, October 09, 2008 8:03 PM
  • Thank you so much for posting the link http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=76449

I've been having printer spooler errors for about 5-6 months, but couldn't get any answers. I tried the instructions on this link and have been printing all day today! I never thought it'd be possible. Thanks again!
    Friday, October 31, 2008 6:51 PM
  • Very helpful Phil.  Stopped me from pulling the rest of my hair out...almost.  

" In my case, it was an IBM Lex service that had not started"  Though the "dependencies" under print spooler was blank and gave me no clue.  I started the IBM Lex service and that did the trick.

Saturday, June 19, 2010 2:54 AM