c#/direct sound: recording large sound files (wave format)

Question

• Hi,

I have an app that records audio from the soundcard, saves as wave file at sampling rate of 44100/16bits. This gives a datasize of 10MB/min. For large recordings > 30 mins the file size becomes very large.

The app, after recording saves the file as .wav, analyses the audio, splits the wav into smaller waves based on some config settings then performs some other processing.

My problem is the file size really, and the implications of saving the large files. Could anybody suggest an alternative process to capture this large amount of audio?

The application is working now but performance is seriously effected with 1hour recording (600MB wave file) and memory allocation exceptions occur.

Any help/thought/ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers.

Paul.
    Friday, April 20, 2007 7:54 PM

Answers

•  Paul A Chapman wrote:
    Hi,

I have an app that records audio from the soundcard, saves as wave file at sampling rate of 44100/16bits. This gives a datasize of 10MB/min. For large recordings > 30 mins the file size becomes very large.

The app, after recording saves the file as .wav, analyses the audio, splits the wav into smaller waves based on some config settings then performs some other processing.

My problem is the file size really, and the implications of saving the large files. Could anybody suggest an alternative process to capture this large amount of audio?

The application is working now but performance is seriously effected with 1hour recording (600MB wave file) and memory allocation exceptions occur.

Cheers.

Paul.

Look into a third party compression library to make the files smaller.
    Friday, April 20, 2007 8:06 PM

All replies

• How important is the quality of the audio file produced?
    Friday, April 20, 2007 8:04 PM
  •  Paul A Chapman wrote:
    Hi,

Cheers.

Paul.

Look into a third party compression library to make the files smaller.
    Friday, April 20, 2007 8:06 PM
  • As i burn the audio to CD at a later stage, 44100 is the lowest acceptable sampling rate i think.
    Friday, April 20, 2007 9:12 PM