none
How to create Windows 8 installation bootable USB for UEFI (Samsung Slate)

General discussion

• The "Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool" is a very useful tool in making bootable USB from ISO file, but it doesn't work under UEFI system since the USB is in NTFS and UEFI can only boot from FAT32. Here is the steps to make a bootable USB for fresh clean install Windows 8.

Requirement:
    USB drive (minimum 4GB)

1. Format USB drive as FAT32 on a Win7/Win8 PC.

diskpart.exe
        list disk (Find USB device)
        select disk 1 (careful! select USB drive)
        clean
        create partition primary
        select partition 1
        active
        format quick fs=fat32 (UEFI can only USB boot to FAT32, not NTFS)
        assign (In this example, USB mount point become F: when assigned.)
        exit

2. Copy Windows 8 x64 ISO content to USB

Mount Windows8-ConsumerPreview-64bit-English.iso (In this example, it's H:) Note, If using Windows 7, use your favorite ISO mounting software. Copy the content using xcopy <ISO drive> <USB drive>, for example.
        xcopy H:\* F:\ /s /e

3. Disable UEFI Secure Boot.

Press and hold Volume-Up and Volume-Down, then power up or reboot the slate. It should go into BIOS setup.
        In "Advanced Configuration", change "Attempt Secure Boot" to Disabled.
        Press Volume-Up and Volume-Down to exit, then "Save Changes and Reset".
        Power off the slate.

5. Plugin USB drive to slate. Press and Hold Volume-Up button, then power up the slate. It should boot into USB drive now.

6. Install Windows 8. When it’s done, USB drive can be removed now.

7. Re-enable UEFI Secure Boot.
        Set BIOS "Attempt Secure Boot" back to Enabled.

Check out my related post:
    Using WinPE to rescue invalid or corrupt BCD store

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 5:52 PM

All replies

• Awesome post.

Was having trouble getting my Samsung //build slate/Tablet PC to boot off of the USB stick ... and your post confirmed that the stick needed to be a 4 GB (no bigger) and FAT32 (which the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool formats the USB stick as NTFS).

Also ... for me, I was never able to boot into the BIOS ... nor was I able to boot from the USB stick ... unless I was restarting the slate device from a powered up (booted up) state.

That is, holding down volume up and volume down and powering up ... did not work for me (to get into the BIOS), it only worked when restarting the operating system. Same goes for booting from the USB stick, it only worked when restarting the operating system (and of course holding down the volume up button).

Friday, August 17, 2012 7:47 PM
  • This is great information, but before I do this I want to clean the disk so I can reclaim all the extra disk space. I ran diskpart and got the following.

Which of these volumes can I safely delete? Do I need to leave the ESP (Volume 3) or can I delete all volumes and then install Windows 8 from the USB stick?

Diskpart

list disk

Select disk n (where n is the number of the minisata SSD)
    List volume

It returns this:

Volume ###  Ltr  Label        Fs     Type        Size     Status     Info

----------  ---  -----------  -----  ----------  -------  ---------  --------

Volume 0         Push Button  NTFS   Partition   5100 MB  Healthy

Volume 1     C                NTFS   Partition     54 GB  Healthy    Boot

Volume 2         Recovery     NTFS   Partition    400 MB  Healthy    Hidden

Volume 3         ESP          FAT32  Partition    100 MB  Healthy    System

Friday, August 17, 2012 11:49 PM
  • Thanks MosoLee.  Exactly what I was needed.
    Saturday, August 18, 2012 5:37 AM
  • SGraddy: The reason that I like to boot a new operating system directly from the install medium (USB, DVD, etc.) is that it gives you the option to delete all the partitions and start over again ... to start fresh.

In other words, I deleted everything ... just make sure you don't have anything you want to save on the primary partition (obviously).

Saturday, August 18, 2012 12:27 PM
  • SGraddy: The reason that I like to boot a new operating system directly from the install medium (USB, DVD, etc.) is that it gives you the option to delete all the partitions and start over again ... to start fresh.

In other words, I deleted everything ... just make sure you don't have anything you want to save on the primary partition (obviously).

Do these partitions get recreated by Windows setup? The recovery and push button partitions seem to be important of you want to be able to repair the tablet form say WinPE? I guess this is really more of a question of what do you loose?
    Saturday, August 18, 2012 3:04 PM
  • Do these partitions get recreated by Windows setup? The recovery and push button partitions seem to be important of you want to be able to repair the tablet form say WinPE? I guess this is really more of a question of what do you loose?

On my newly rebuilt machine ... I have a 300MB Recovery Partition, a 100MB EFI System Partition, and a 59.11 GB Primary Partition.

So, it appears that the push button partition is not there. I don't know what that means, if anything. My thought is that if I want to recover ... I want to recover to Windows 8 RTM ... and not an earlier release ... so I think everything is good.

Saturday, August 18, 2012 3:23 PM
  • Good Morning folks... All of you were a great help. I followed the directions and everything worked absolutely great. I deleted all volumes from within Windows 8 setup and let Windows 8 perform it's magic. After setup and reboot, as far as I can tell absolutely everything on this Build Samsung 7 slate is working as it should be.  I also have a 300MB Recovery Partition, a 100MB EFI System Partition, and a 59.11 GB Primary Partition. Again many thanks to everyone for their help!
    • Edited by SGraddy Sunday, August 19, 2012 3:40 PM
    Sunday, August 19, 2012 3:39 PM
  • You saved my time!!! Thank you very much for the post!
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 11:55 AM
  • So i've followed these and other instructions all day.  Still cannot get the BIOS to see the USB drive to boot from.  There's also no " attempt secure boot" option in my BIOS.  I updated the BIOS today to see if the option was in the latest version but still not there. Any suggestions would be awesome.  thx
    • Edited by gjlamb Wednesday, November 21, 2012 4:59 AM added information
    Wednesday, November 21, 2012 4:44 AM
  • Simply awesome instructions!
    Tuesday, December 04, 2012 3:53 AM
  • Hi Need this UEFI stuff from Windows OS level to access  any possibles .

Is there a way to invoke/call the EFI_RUNTIME_SERVICES like setvarible and getvarible  ,GetTime() from OS level ..? If yes, please tell how it can done, Any info/help will really be appreciated.

The Requirement is for windows 8 Tab - A Tool from windows 8 application  invokes UEFI Run time Services(OS LOADER) to update the Firmware a particular Device.

Thanks in Advance

Really looking forward for the fast support.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 1:41 PM
  • Try to follow this: Once you have set the pendrive to fat 32 I dont think there should be trouble reading the pendrive in uefi.
    Wednesday, December 26, 2012 12:15 PM
  • I tried this and xcopy returns a "File creation error - The parameter is incorrect. For the file on my disk:

(DVD)G:\sources\install.wim

It's a file of 4.3GB, how do I get around the file size limitation of 2GB in the FAT32 fs?

Sunday, February 03, 2013 3:36 AM
  • I tried this and xcopy returns a "File creation error - The parameter is incorrect. For the file on my disk:

(DVD)G:\sources\install.wim

It's a file of 4.3GB, how do I get around the file size limitation of 2GB in the FAT32 fs?

FAT32 File size limit should be 4GB, not 2GB. My install.wim (From win8 pro x64) is only 2.9GB - Maybe you had an error decompressing? Or maybe your version of win8 is just too big. :(

@MosoLee: Thank you for this write up. I followed it, and have an upgraded tablet without problems. I did not update the firmware (I never have, it's the original), and have no issues that I am aware of. The AT&T WAN shows up, wifi, internal network works - it's great. I did see one issue where the computer froze after sitting for 5 minutes, but windows installed a bunch of updates automatically, and it quit happening.
    • Edited by Jaimi Wednesday, February 06, 2013 8:27 PM
    Wednesday, February 06, 2013 2:24 PM
  • Great Post gang, thanks for this information.  I have an issue due to the 4GB limitation as well; we are trying to put a customized windows 8 install image on our tablet that the .iso is larger than 4GB.  Is there any way to work around this issue with Fat32, or are we stuck only installing base windows 8 images that will fit under 4GB?
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 3:07 PM
  • This post also applies to the Microsoft Surface Pro, with the information here and from Kurt Shintaku's blog (typo with the format command, remove the "/" ) I have successfully installed Windows 8 Enterprise.  NebGlobTech's question brings up an interesting problem due to the 4 GB FAT32 limit, so I wonder can a USB drive be formatted with two partitions: a bootable FAT32 and a second NTFS partition that would allow 4GB+ files?  If not, on the Surface Pro the drivers for the wireless card can be added to the image so large files can be reached over the network.  Other alternatives are using a USB hub could be used to allow a second storage device formatted NTFS, or on the Surface Pro using a NTFS formatted microSD card.

Are there any plans to update the uefi spec to allow boot from NTFS, exFAT or other file systems?

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:28 PM
  • just posting this in case anyone is trying to re-image a Surface Pro with Windows 8 - see the following guide.

Step by Step Configuration Manager Guides > 2012 Guides | 2007 Guides | I'm on Twitter > ncbrady

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 12:49 PM
  • Gentlemen.. I am having an issue here.

I have a dell latt 10 tablet.  I have an MSDN subscrip, and downloaded windows 8 enterprise.  I have it on a CD, and it boots to that from a pC fine.

I followed the instructions word for word above, and created my usb boot key.  I tested it, and my PC can boot to it as well.

I turned off secure boot etc and it still wont boot from the USB key.   

So i have no way of booting (or it doesnt work) to the USB to wipe the HD.  

Any help would be much appreciated.

• Edited by Dunginhawk Sunday, April 07, 2013 4:12 AM
    Sunday, April 07, 2013 3:57 AM
  • Gentlemen.. I am having an issue here.

I have a dell latt 10 tablet.  I have an MSDN subscrip, and downloaded windows 8 enterprise.  I have it on a CD, and it boots to that from a pC fine.

I followed the instructions word for word above, and created my usb boot key.  I tested it, and my PC can boot to it as well.

I turned off secure boot etc and it still wont boot from the USB key.   

So i have no way of booting (or it doesnt work) to the USB to wipe the HD.  

Any help would be much appreciated.

I have a Dell Latitude 10 also.  I could not get Windows 8 to boot from DVD or USB for the longest time.  Turns out that this tablet only works with 32-bit Windows 8, not 64-bit.  Once I popped a 32-bit version in, it booted and installed fine.

Thursday, April 11, 2013 4:08 PM

• 5. Plugin USB drive to slate. Press and Hold Volume-Up button, then power up the slate. It should boot into USB drive now.

You have to hold the volume DOWN button to get the boot selector screen on Windows surface PC. It doesn't always work for my surface but 4/10 times boot menu screen will come up if there are multiple USB devices that are bootable. Otherwise it just directs the boot automatic.

• Edited by BRIAN237 Tuesday, August 06, 2013 4:07 PM surface not slate
    Tuesday, August 06, 2013 4:05 PM