Cannot open property manager in Visual C++ 2010 express edition

Question

• I have first installed Visual C# express 2010 first and then installed Visual C++ express 2010. In Visual C++ express 2010, I tried to include directories under options, but there it says use property sheets. I clicked on View and also View->Other Windows but could not find Property Manager there. Also there is no option for inherited property sheet in project properties.

My question is how could I add a property sheet to a project when (1) Cannot open property manager because it does not exist in View menu (2) cannot include inherited property sheet in project properties as this option is removed in 2010. Does my installation messed up because I first installed Visual C# 2010 express before installing Visual C++ 2010 express?

Thanks in advance for any help

Junaid A. Khan, PhD

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 3:34 AM

Answers

All replies

• The paths should be visible under Project Properties->Configuration Properties->VC++ Directories when a project is loaded.

You can get to this through either loading a project then going to Project->Properties, or in solution explorer right click on the project name and then select properties from the context menu.

Visit my (not very good) blog at http://c2kblog.blogspot.com/
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 11:09 AM
  • Hi Crescens2k,

I know about VC++ Directories in project properties before asking above question but you have to add individual directories for each individual project. I have several libraries that I use very often in new projects. In VC++ 2008 I added those under options and then I did not have to do it individually for each project. That option is not available now. I was thinking about using property sheet, at least adding single property sheet could be easier than adding 10 directories per project but that option is also not available.

Thanks for the reply though

Junaid Khan

Programming in C/C++ for last 10 years

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 1:59 PM
  • I know what you mean. The current change is a bit annoying because all global level paths has now been removed.

The only way that I know of to currently get this to work is by directly editing the MSBuild files. Doing this manually though isn't a good thing so there does seem to be a loss of functionality.

I'm also wonderring if a system level Include or Lib environment variable would also be picked up, but I always advise against this because of the potential problem of contamination.

Visit my (not very good) blog at http://c2kblog.blogspot.com/
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 2:34 PM
  • To View property manager in VCExpress, you can choose Tools -> Setting -> Expert settings. After that, you will see View -> Property Manager option.

You can also take a look of this blog on the details of the Include directories changes: http://blogs.msdn.com/vcblog/archive/tags/Migration/default.aspx

Li Shao, MSFT

Li Shao
    • Marked as answer by junaidasim Wednesday, April 21, 2010 10:10 PM
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 4:09 PM
  • Thanks Li Shao,

Junaid A. Khan

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 10:10 PM
  • In the latest (?) VCExpress, downloaded today, Tools -> Setting -> Expert Settings does not exist. (It does have a "Basic Settings" line with a checkbox which never changes) OK, now where is the Property Manager?

I have seen several complex and contradictory threads on this and finally managed to reset in a beta release of full VC, but so far not in VCExpress, which has different menus, etc.  No, I am not going to manually edit individual property files buried in various changing locations.

As soon as we think we know where to find things, MS hides them again. 

Sunday, June 06, 2010 4:32 PM
  • OK, I see now what Li Shao meant - choose Expert Settings in Tools/Settings and then the Property Manager appears in the View Menu.

I ran into this problem because I installed the DirectX SDK.  I think that its include and lib directories should be recognized by VC when the SDK is installed, and VC should recognize the existing SDK when VC is installed (I have done it both ways on two computers).  But adding those directories would be no problem if the global VC++ directory settings were someplace accessible, as in older versions of VC.

Aside from this I have had virtually no problems with either the Professional Beta or the Express edition.  Express seems to satisfy my requirements and is an improvement over previous introductory editions.  I was expecting to have to buy a Standard update, but instead can use the free Express.

Monday, June 07, 2010 1:43 PM
  • Global settings are still available in this version, although the design has changed. You can take a look of the this blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2010/03/02/visual-studio-2010-c-project-upgrade-guide.aspx

3)      VC++ Directories change

VC++ Directories are no longer supported in VS2010 through Tools->Options page. Instead, VS2010 introduces the user settings file (Microsoft.cpp.<Platform>.users.props) to control global settings including Global search path. These files are located at $(USERPROFILE)\appdata\local\microsoft\msbuild\v4.0 directory. Upon migration to VS2010, the custom settings of VC++ Directories from VS2005 or VS2008 are migrated to these user files. These global settings files are imported into all the converted and newly created projects.

Here are the steps to change the settings file through UI:

·         Open up property manager by clicking on View.Property Manager.

·         Expand the project node and then the Configuration|Platform nodes, you will see "Microsoft.cpp.<Platform>.users" file for each Configuration|Platform. These are the files for the global settings, similar to the old tools/Options/VC++ Directories.

·         Multi-Select "Microsoft.cpp.<Platform>.users", right click and bring up the property page window

·         In the property page window, click on "VC++ Directories" (for example) in the left pane, add new paths for the directories such as "Include Directories". separated by semicolons

·         Make sure to save the settings before shutting down Visual Studio.

·         Re-launch Visual Studio and the new settings will be in effect.

-Note: If you would like to only change the settings for one project, you can right click on the project and bring up the property page. Change the settings for “VC++ Directories”, these settings will be persisted to the project file.

Li Shao, MSFT

Li Shao
    Wednesday, June 09, 2010 3:54 AM
  • I'm using Visual Studio Expres 2012. There is no menu "view -> property manager". There is also no menu "tools -> settings". How do I set global paths for include and lib files?

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 9:30 AM
  • Tools->Customize, in the command tab, choose the view menu, then hit the add command button. Select View->Property Manager, then click move down until you find a designed location.

Visual C++ MVP

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 2:54 PM