VB.NET versus C#, which is better for Web Business Application

Question

• Experts are invited to share their opinion. This is a debate that can never be fulfilled without you. Please come forward and respond.

What if we have a client who wants to develop a web enterprise application (based on SAAS architecture) and prefers for C# and not VB.NET based. Argument can be:

1. C# is better suited for developing enterprise application versus VB.NET
    2. C# is object oriented versus VB.NET is not
    3. Programming in C# is faster than VB.NET
    4. Libraries/function blocks in VS.NET is more for C# versus VB.NET

I would request you to help me answer this. I believe this is the type of questions many faces when deciding for which language to go for, both developers and organizations. Experts please do not just read this, pause and give 5 min of your time, provide with a input that can help not just me, but many people in future looking for the same answer. 

Tuesday, September 01, 2009 12:31 PM

All replies

• well, even i m looking for the same answer. there are many discussions on the net but are old.. may be 3 years or so.. i want to know based on latest VS 2008 or so. is there a realy difference? i found many codes, controls based on C#.

it becomes really difficult to decide which way to go.. many people belive that in the end C# will prevail..
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 6:43 AM
  • My background is in VB.Net programming, so I am a little slanted towards that language. I am able to develop a little faster using VB.Net, but that is just because I have the experience doing it. For the past year or so, all my new development has been in C# and I still use VB.Net when I maintain our older applications. That being said, I would go towards C# for the following reasons:

1. It seems that Microsoft is pushing C# as opposed to vb.net. If you go and look for code examples on the internet, you will see that all of the Microsoft examples have C# code snippets, but sometimes do not have the corresponding vb.net examples. If you use the addage that 95 percent of coding is easy and it is the 5 percent that takes the most time, then you would want to use the language with more example code coverage. Also, a lot of third party controls have chosen to just provide code examples for C# and Java.
    2. Both vb.net and c# are object oriented languages, so OO support should not be a factor (although c# was built from the ground up as a OO language and VB added the support throughout the years)
    3. Vb.net and C# both program to the .net framework which means that they pretty much support the same libraries (not totally, because the c# development team is separate from the vb.net development team, but this is usually a non-factor)
    4. I think C# is better suited for developing enterprise applications just for the fact that it seems that most enterprises are choosing c#. This means that you are going to probably find more maintanence resources for C#. That being said, if the enterprise you are developing for has all vb.net developers working there, you may want to use vb.net.

Microsoft knows that C# is converting some Java developers because of how close the language is to Java.  VB.Net has no chance of doing that. VB.Net still has an incredible following, so Microsoft has decided to keep both languages supported while trying to nudge the vb.net guys over to C# (not overtly, but the code sample support tells me something). 

Of course, this is just my opinion. 

Friday, September 25, 2009 5:38 PM
  • Hello,

I was a VB since VB 3.0, I stop VB when Framework 2.0 has been released. Now I'm a C# developper, I don't regret the invesment...
    I had to leard Javascript for web then C# for ASP.net. I decide to change to clean my mind of all bad practices I used in VB.
    If you are a good VB.net and you understood the .net, it's very easy to learn C#.

Best regards,

Laurent
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 12:38 PM
  • Experts are invited to share their opinion. This is a debate that can never be fulfilled without you. Please come forward and respond.

What if we have a client who wants to develop a web enterprise application (based on SAAS architecture) and prefers for C# and not VB.NET based. Argument can be:

I would request you to help me answer this. I believe this is the type of questions many faces when deciding for which language to go for, both developers and organizations. Experts please do not just read this, pause and give 5 min of your time, provide with a input that can help not just me, but many people in future looking for the same answer. 

Hi,

Not true. C# and VB.NET are build on top of the same base class library that are used to develop enterprise applications.

Not true. Both languages are object orientated. Both were build from the ground up to be object orientated.

Not true. Besides faster programming doesn't mean better programming.

Not true. Libraries are compiled to MSIL which is understandable by both languages.

Where did you get this information?

There is very little difference between these two languages and their capabilities to produce powerful enterprise systems. The reason is both languages are build on top of the BCL which contains all the classes contained in the .NET framework. At the end of the day what your picking is mostly a preferred syntax.

OK the languages are not 100% the same, C# lambda expressions are far better than VB.NET ... and VB.NET has XML literials.... so they aren't EXACTLY the same... but it's mostly in my opinion just down to a preference in syntax.

I have coded large projects in both languages over more years than I care to admit. Well ok since 2003.
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 1:18 AM
  • Hello,

I was a VB since VB 3.0, I stop VB when Framework 2.0 has been released. Now I'm a C# developper, I don't regret the invesment...
    I had to leard Javascript for web then C# for ASP.net. I decide to change to clean my mind of all bad practices I used in VB.
    If you are a good VB.net and you understood the .net, it's very easy to learn C#.

Best regards,

Laurent

Well there's a good point in here ... JavaScript.... could swing the decision more to C#, similar syntax... again it's down to syntax though rather than functionality and library support.
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 1:22 AM
  • I am very much satisfied with Derek. I have worked in both the languages and never felt much difference between two. Its upon the programmers that which language they know better i.e. the syntax of the language. 

Personally, I love VB.Net. No Case-sensitivity, better intelligence support, English like syntax are some reasons for it.

So, asking the programmers what they prefer is a good idea for solution.

Nothing is Impossible.....
    Monday, March 21, 2011 2:55 PM